• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where do you usually get your gear?

deadheadskier

Staff member
these days?

hard goods, online....always nowadays. why? price

soft goods....regular ski shop. why? I either forgot some gear and need new stuff for that day on the slopes or still find a decent enough deal. I would never buy a jacket or pants online without having the benefit of trying them on first.

If I could afford to, I'd probably support the local shops more with hard goods, but in general I cannot. If I ran across a pair of brand 'new' old equipment in the wrapper for 25-30% of the cost that they were when they were 'new', new...I'd buy them, but you rarely find those deals.

This past year I've purchased

Rossi B2's with Rossi Axial bindings from Backcountry.com for $300 delivered
Rossi Bx's from some online denver ski shop for $200 delivered...mounted old bindings I have for $25
Marker Helmet from Jack Frost ski shop in Jackson, NH ....$140
Dalbello Krypton Pros $375 (today :) )from back country, though I did check a pair of Rampages for fit at a local ski shop last week.

I do need new pants and gloves and under armor for the upcoming season. I'll probably pick those up at the ski shop I tried the Rampages at to kick them some business for their time if I can find a good deal.

Moe Ghoul

Local ski shop for 90% of my gear, the rest at mountain shops, usually something on sale or replacing broken stuff, like poles or goggles. I like to support the local biz and the mountain shops. Never bought any ski stuff on line yet, although I've seen some decent deals posted.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Big purchases ($100+) I purchase pretty much exclusively online for the price. I have used a variety of sources including discounters, close out shops, ebay, etc. Backcountry.com is my favorite for new gear. Though I have purchased the occasional pair of skis at a tent sale for last year's model on the cheap. Gloves need to be purchased in person but those are less than a hundred and preferably picked up at summer tent sale.

So if fit is an issue, I buy in person which is generally most clothing items that I am not familiar with the brand and the brand's fit. "Gear" is almost always purchased online due to price unless it is last season's stuff at a tent sale. Very price conscious here. If local shops offered more than just a product, that would encourage me to buy local but most local shops don't stock quality goods and I am more knowledgable about the product than most of the kids hired. Ski shops could really stand to re-earn people's business by offering one free ski tune a year for the life of the ski or some value added service like that. Otherwise, free shipping and lowest price wins every damn time.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If local shops offered more than just a product, that would encourage me to buy local but most local shops don't stock quality goods and I am more knowledgable about the product than most of the kids hired.

Very good point. The woman who helped me try on the Dalbello Rampages last week knew basically nothing about the boots and I was trying to have her talk to me more about the Krypton and she new less than what I could figure out online about the Kryptons. If the Kryptons fit right, it will have served my purpose in going in there and I'll probably go back to give them some money buying gloves or pants.

Not saying shops don't exist with gear heads working there that have fantastic knowledge, but those shops seem to exist less and less as time marches on.

highpeaksdrifter

Very good point. The woman who helped me try on the Dalbello Rampages last week knew basically nothing about the boots and I was trying to have her talk to me more about the Krypton and she new less than what I could figure out online about the Kryptons. If the Kryptons fit right, it will have served my purpose in going in there and I'll probably go back to give them some money buying gloves or pants.

Not saying shops don't exist with gear heads working there that have fantastic knowledge, but those shops seem to exist less and less as time marches on.

Not shops in ski towns. You can't fake your way through in those. Too much local talent that will eat up the uninformed.

The shop you describe sounds like a Ski Market.

Trekchick

I actually have a couple Ski Shops that I deal with locally, but my on line purchases are mostly made with SkierShop or Sierra Snowboard, Whiteroom and Sierra Jim are tops to deal with and I like to support them, as B&M shops as well as On line resources.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not shops in ski towns. You can't fake your way through in those. Too much local talent that will eat up the uninformed.

The shop you describe sounds like a Ski Market.

This shop was, but even some of the ski shops in Stowe when I lived there were becoming a bit gentrified. Not all, but the major ones catering to tourists who had no care about money, so the owner could hire whomever for $9 an hour to half answer questions.

wa-loaf

All of the above, but mostly online these days. Took a chance and even bought my boots online last season.

BeanoNYC

Skis on Craigslist and Ebay.
I'll also try to size ski clothing in the store and find a better deal online.
Boots in store.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It's a free for all! SAC, eBay, SierraSnowboard.com, and the local shops. Though the local shops only got my business for boots last season; skis were purchased on eBay and SierraSnowboard.com. I look for good deals and buy where I find them. I could have found better deals on boots online, but that's one thing that I think needs to be done in person.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Took a chance and even bought my boots online last season.

Took the same chance with yesterdays Krypton purchase, though I did try on the Rampages in a store first. I'm fairly comfortable with my decision if for no other reason than backcountryoutlet offering a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. If I don't like them, I can send them back and try something else.

WJenness

All of the above, but mostly online these days. Took a chance and even bought my boots online last season.

A cautionary tale... DON'T BUY YOUR BOOTS ONLINE, YOU'LL TEAR YOUR ACL!!!
:razz:
avoiding snowboarders might help also

Kidding of course. How goes the rehab?

-w

wa-loaf

A cautionary tale... DON'T BUY YOUR BOOTS ONLINE, YOU'LL TEAR YOUR ACL!!!
:razz:
avoiding snowboarders might help also

Kidding of course. How goes the rehab?

-w

Haha . . . knees good. I'm way ahead of the PT protocol and have ditched my brace. Docs appt on Friday. I'll dig up the ACL thread and post an update.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
It's a free for all! SAC, eBay, SierraSnowboard.com, and the local shops. Though the local shops only got my business for boots last season; skis were purchased on eBay and SierraSnowboard.com. I look for good deals and buy where I find them. I could have found better deals on boots online, but that's one thing that I think needs to be done in person.

SierraSnowboard.com has some great deals.
everthing i get is pretty much online. sometimes i get gloves and stuff at parragon in the city.

cbcbd

Used to have pro forms... no more, but I already have plenty of gear and really don't NEED anymore. Ski stuff lasts a while, but bike stuff just goes when you ride hard... that I'll miss.

I'll try to live off of SAC and Chainlove since I know those are good prices, like I used to get.