• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to go/stay near Burlington?

eadsit1

I've been accepted at UVM :grin: so I'm visiting on Friday, February 20th. The plan is to spend the night somewhere and then go skiing someplace within an hours drive all day saturday. I'll be with my entire family (parents, 2 sisters and an aunt) who all ski, but not very well. They'd be looking for easier Blue Square trails. I snowboard and would love to find some glades, but I'm content on Blue Squares and up. Most importantly we're looking for something cheap.
Thanks!
Eric

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bolton would be the cheap option and enjoyable for your ski level. Smuggs also, though a touch more expensive and probably have bigger crowds, longer lift lines.

BackLoafRiver

+1 on Bolton Valley.

I grew up in Burlington and just fell in love with the sport a few years ago. I brought a few friends from out of town to the mountain last winter and we had a blast. It is small (only a handful of lifts) and very family friendly. I think they only have 1 high speed quad but, there were no lift lines the day we were there. The trails run the range from cruisers to narrow, classic new england. (for a really great intermediate, Peggy Dow's to Old Turnpike off the Wilderness chair is a blast!)

Tickets are pretty affordable (I think it is $54 on the weekends)

The only downside is that the trails seem kinda short, especially when compared to other areas in driving distance.

If you want a bigger experience, Sugarbush is a great choice. Its just about 45 outside of Burlington but well worth the drive also. More expensive (but you can get discount tickets at a local ski shop in Burlington) but much bigger. The downside...crowds. It can be brutal, especially at that time of year.

Grats on being accepted to UVM! Burlington is one of the best college towns around.

frozencorn

Ah, God bless you...and I envy you.

I went to school up the road at St. Mike's and had the time of my life...Bolton is definitely closest. We used to have $15 days there once a year which were awesome. Also though, Smuggs (Where SMC now gives students a $29 season pass....), Stowe, and the Bush are within an hour's drive. Ah, the days of the Stowe-Bush Big Pass which caused me to skip many a class.

Congrats on being accepted.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ah, the days of the Stowe-Bush Big Pass which caused me to skip many a class.

after a year and a half of living in Burlington, but spending all my time in Stowe, I said F it and moved to Stowe and finished school commuting from there :lol:

Skimaven

Website
www.skimaven.com
Congratulations! I agree that Bolton may be the best value for your family. There is some fun intermediate terrain and a nice glade over on the Timberline lift, so don't forget to explore over there. I blog about skiing in Vermont, and I was at Bolton a lot last season, so feel free to read up on Bolton and other resorts here:
http://www.skimaven.com/category/bolton-valley/

You asked about places to stay. I live near Burlington and here are a few options:
-Stay at Bolton Valley Resort
-or the Black Bear Inn on the access road
-or the Best Western in Waterbury, Vt.
-or at any of the chain hotels in Burlington
Ask if they have lift ticket deals through the hotel, too.

Have a blast!

eadsit1

Thanks a lot everyone! We're staying at the Anchorage Inn and are getting discounted tickets to Bolton. We'll be skiing there on Saturday the 21st if anyone wants to show me around the mountain. Thanks again!