• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which Skins?

Huck_It_Baby

I have put this off for a while due to lack of snow but I think the future looks colder and perhaps some snow on the way in Jay's forecast.

Anyone have experience with any of these skins or want to recommend an affordable pair?

I will be using them on 2012 Sir Francis Bacons w/Barons.

1. Black diamond Ascension

http://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-ascension-nylon-sts-skins

2. Climbing Skins Direct - Twin Tip Skins

https://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/Skins.html

3. GlideLite Mohair Mix Kicker Skin

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/p...r+Mix+Kicker+Skin/Store/MG/item/217728/N/1073

amf

I've used the kickers, and while they have their place its not in deep snow or on steep ascents. Keep within their limits & they are fine, but there's nothing like wall to wall when you need it.

amf.

Huck_It_Baby

I've used the kickers, and while they have their place its not in deep snow or on steep ascents. Keep within their limits & they are fine, but there's nothing like wall to wall when you need it.

amf.

Thanks for the input! I had a feeling those weren't gonna make the cut...

snowmonster

I've heard good things about Climbing Skins Direct but no experience. They are cheaper than BDs or G3. If the price wasn't ridiculous, I'd go for the Ascensions. Wall-to-wall coverage is no big deal until you need it. If you can wait a while, prices tend to drop through the floor after President's Day weekend which brings you to prime spring skinning season.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Unless you have a specific reason for the mohair, I'd suggest going with the nylon.

BD and G3 are pretty much on par. I've felt the BDs outperform the G3s slightly having tried both but that is just one take. Can't go wrong either way really.

No experience with climbing skins direct. I haven't seen enough feedback online to convince me to try them. BD skins often go on sale at the end of the season, so if you can wait you can sometimes find BD skins at climbing skins direct pricing.

rocojerry

I grabbed a pair of BD ascensions, and they have held up pretty well so far... I've been pretty diligent about storing them with the skin savers and in general trying to take care of them...... the ones I got were pre-cut for some ski that was pretty similar to what I have...

no complaints, aside from lack of use this year.

farlep99

I've used Ascensions & Climbing skins direct. I only have a few days on the Ascensions. I put a few seasons on the CSD's. If you're not during tons of touring CSD's are fine for the price. They held up well for 50+ days, but eventually began to tear. I went with the BD's because I managed to get them cheap & from what I hear BD is great with warranty issues & replacing anything that may fail. We'll see I guess. But I'd go with the cheaper ones (they feel the same as the BD's so far) unless you're doing rigourous touring

Edited: Just saw you'll be on Barons, so I guess you wont' be rigourous touring. CSD's are fine & a better deal for the price

Huck_It_Baby

You guys rock. Thanks for all the input!

I think I'm going to get the Climbing Skins Direct this week. Can't wait till spring for deals...I want to skin for fresh powder...If winter comes...which I still have faith it will!

Last edited: