• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which Western ski area(s) have the best conditions for Christmas?

KustyTheKlown

Whistler about to get up to 6 feet thru Tuesday, baker 4 feet, crystal 2 feet

Building an October base in the northwest

SnoDevil97

I skied Telluride a few years ago during Christmas and it was fantastic. Plenty of natural snow, but also some limited snow-making on popular groomer runs on the Village side to touch things up.

octopus

we did christmas at whistler a few years ago, it was awesome. it also took us 16hrs to get there from boston

raisingarizona

Targhee is often pretty good in December. The mountain is mostly grass and small scree that gets covered up really well by a 40 inch or so base. Places like Jackson, Alta/Snowbird and Whistler on the other hand doesn't really start to shape up until the base is around 65 inches in their more alpine and natural terrain.

The Summit/I-70 areas in Colorado often don't have very much natural in December. Sometimes they do but if you look at the history it's more often that they don't. If you don't mind skidding around on skied off groomers with 3 million other people than I'm sure it would be fine though.

So far it looks like the PNW is winning but everything can change in the blink of an eye up there with one single rain event.