• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whiteface & Gore: 04/09 & 04/10

bvibert

Staff member
Great write ups Steve! Glad you were able to ski through the pain to get an enjoyable day out of Gore.

Warp Daddy

Great reportage Steve . Enjoyed your impressions of our 2 Biggies up here in the Dack's . Both have a character all their own . I m afraid at my age the Slides are simply out of the question but i certainly enjoy the photojournalism about them .

Gore is my new absolute Fave . Nine separate sides with lift venues on 4 mountains coupled with 19 glades and nice high speed cruisers and pretty kewl vibe plus a dintinctive learner /novice area makes it a serious contender .

Its closer for me than Tremblant . While some really enjoy the faux french alps village at Tremblant
( great for a first visit) there , Gore presents a more laid back and perhaps more authentic "Dack's flavor". Not knocking Tremblant at all But 9 sides on 4 mtns trumps it , IMO.

But Hey Guys -- Move along ,nothing to see here --Don't Go There, it sux :D:D:D

SKidds

They do enforce the 'no uphill climbing' rules, so you really shouldn't go above the main traverse. It is nice up there though.......Last time my brother and I hit the Slides we took what I liked to call the 'high traverse'. Angle slightly left and up from where the main traverse goes across the top of the Slides and it was relatively easy to gain some additional vertical of untracked. Some nice lines up that way. If you look at the picture of the untracked in questions, I'm pretty sure it was that big boulder up and left of photo center that a few guys were hucking. Musta been a good snow year! I think I even took some video of the hucks, but never posted it. Alas, after a couple of "high traverses" my brother got his ticket pulled (fortunately it was the last Slide run of the day, and he probably got nailed cause they were starting the sweep - and further fortunately, by 2:30 in the afternoon they aren't checking tickets on the upper mountain) for having climbed uphill. They didn't buy the 'high traverse' line of defense I guess......

kcyanks1

Its has been the same entrance since I have been skiing them. Takes about 5 minutes. It does seem that they r a lot quicker to get to now and I don't know why. Above the entrance there is another 700 of vert. It get considerably steeper and not to many people go up there.

I skied them winter of 2000-2001. There was definitely a real hike up through the woods above the summit quad. Maybe it was HPD not you who I had the discussion with in the past (on AZ, not in person).

SKidds

I do recall in the way past, you'd head left off the Quad as you normally do. Along the ridge and up to the right, there were signs for the Slides where you had to climb up. I never went in that way, but I can see how it would bring you in further up in the Slides.

tjf67

I do recall in the way past, you'd head left off the Quad as you normally do. Along the ridge and up to the right, there were signs for the Slides where you had to climb up. I never went in that way, but I can see how it would bring you in further up in the Slides.

00-01 the entrance is where it exists now. Where you are referring to I don't know if you used to go in that way.. It is a much longer slug and you are up higher.

i was talking to a buddy, his wife was skiing with him on Sunday in the slides. She fell and was whining and then went down and was bragging that they were not that hard. He said to me "SHe got hurt in slide 4 on a day when 8 year olds were rippin cause the snow was hero". I got a chuckle out of it. :flag:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i was talking to a buddy, his wife was skiing with him on Sunday in the slides. She fell and was whining and then went down and was bragging that they were not that hard. He said to me "SHe got hurt in slide 4 on a day when 8 year olds were rippin cause the snow was hero". I got a chuckle out of it. :flag:
Slide 4 is the real deal. 3/4 are not slide paths in the traditional sense... lots of trees and the exit to 4 is wild. 8 feet wide, steep, and with an ice bulge. Really cool stuff. I could see someone being disappointed in the lack of difficulty for Slides 1/2 though. 3 is just right, lots of fun but not the complete "who cares" of 1/2.

SKidds

Slide 2 to where it connects back with Slide 1.....agreed, not very difficult, just like Slide 1 up to the falls. Those falls, however, if you ski down the them as opposed to going around the side....that's pretty technical stuff.

Now, if you venture left into the trees as you get down Slide 2, instead of joining back up with Slide 1......that gets you into some pretty technincal trees/steeps, which lead you to the same rock outcroppings you hit at the bottom of Slide 3. Those trees between 2 and 3 are some nice, fun, difficult skiing.

There is a lot of terrain to play on out there!

tjf67

Slide 4 is the real deal. 3/4 are not slide paths in the traditional sense... lots of trees and the exit to 4 is wild. 8 feet wide, steep, and with an ice bulge. Really cool stuff. I could see someone being disappointed in the lack of difficulty for Slides 1/2 though. 3 is just right, lots of fun but not the complete "who cares" of 1/2.

I have the most fun on slide one. Probably cause I have been in them for years and 4 does not many options. 1 you can do it so many ways. Going down through the water falls is just fun as heck. I agree that they r not as steep as the chutes out west without a hike up to the top. In the East though I don't think anything else compares.
You getting hurt made you trip to Gore a bore. Gore has some very fun terrain. I am sure you could see some of it under the lifts.

you got around the mountain pretty good. Most people could not have covered the terrain you did.

kcyanks1

00-01 the entrance is where it exists now. Where you are referring to I don't know if you used to go in that way.. It is a much longer slug and you are up higher.

I do think I remember seeing a sign lower down but it was closed, at least the time I was there. You had to hike.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You getting hurt made you trip to Gore a bore. Gore has some very fun terrain. I am sure you could see some of it under the lifts..
Me thinks you need to read all of my Gore report and not just the first two or three paragraphs. :lol: My tour guide showed me most of the trees available from the open lifts and we skied the the steeper lines such as Double Barrel et al. The day was anything but a bore!

:daffy:

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
The ski days I had with River were highlights of my year.

River, Jay Peak, Whiteface and Gore. All were the real deal.

It's very cool showing someone your mountain. Makes you realize how much you know about it, and how much you like it.

While I don't know as much about Gore as he does about Jay, we were able to connect with the Gore teletribe, and we hit a big percentage of the important stuff at the summit.

It was actually funny - at one point Riv was the only guy in our group on fixed heels. Gore is an equalizer in that way. With shorter runs and pods, tele and alpine skiers mix well together.

I don't get to meet too many guys who love to ski as much as you do River. That's one thing we have in common.

:beer:

My pics are here:

Whiteface, NY: 4/9/11

Gore Mtn, NY: 4/10/11

Riv+on+Slide+2.jpg

Warp Daddy

Nice to see NY's big 2 gettin' some love

True!!

More of our New England Bro's need to make the trip and check 'em out . They're worth the effort and provide a nice change of venue . LP has the goods for a fun time and LG near Gore does ok too and North Creek village is coming along with several decent restaurants , watering holes and some decent lodging .

Y'all come on over !

Magog Fishy

True!!

More of our New England Bro's need to make the trip and check 'em out . They're worth the effort and provide a nice change of venue . LP has the goods for a fun time and LG near Gore does ok too and North Creek village is coming along with several decent restaurants , watering holes and some decent lodging .

Y'all come on over !

IMHO, I find Lake Placid and Stowe to be the two nicest winter sports towns in the Northeast US – we had a great time in LP; variety of activities, amenities, and restaurants.

The problem with Lake Placid for a lot of New Englanders is that it is very hard to get to – from Boston I drove all the way out to Albany; I think Sugarloaf/Saddleback are even closer; be curious to know if anyone knows of a quicker way from Boston.

Unfortunately I have only skied Whiteface during the 2009 New Year’s ice fest -- think it was 09, might have been 08. I was very wary that some out of control NYC hot shot was going to take out my knees – I don’t think Lookout Mountain was open; we just lapped the Summit Quad to avoid the lower mountain and Little Whiteface zoo. Would love to get back to Whiteface at some point to experience the Slides.