• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why?

Chris I

There are handful of mountains that could have opened today.

I don't see why mountains wouldn't open for a few days after a natural dump like this. Sell lift tickets but make it known that there isn't any grooming ect... I think that they would get some good business. Maybe run one lift or something.

Not even to stay open, just for a few days, why let this snow go to waste.

Wibby

I don't see why mountains wouldn't open for a few days after a natural dump like this. QUOTE]

Many resorts have not finishing hiring for the season. Its hard to run a resort without employees.

Telemechanic

Two years ago this week (I think it was two) the White Mountains in NH got a big early season snow. It was enough snow for some areas to open but only Wildcat fired up a lift. The reason I heard only Wildcat opened was its lifts had been inspected by the State early. Typically an area will have their lifts inspected shortly before their planned opening day. Without an inspection sticker from the State ski areas in NH can't load the public on their lifts.

Could this have contributed to areas not opening after this years big dump?

Because most ski resorts are not run by diehard skiers and riders but by business-people..by this weekend most of the snow will be gone..this new snow would have provided a better jumpstart if it was a few weeks later..so mother nature..if you're reading this..please bless us with an Epic dump around November 12th...

Chris I

..this new snow would have provided a better jumpstart if it was a few weeks later..so mother nature..if you're reading this..please bless us with an Epic dump around November 12th...

Yeah but why not open for 3 days and shut back down until the 'real' season comes. It just seems like you would make some good money being the only one open.

Yeah but why not open for 3 days and shut back down until the 'real' season comes. It just seems like you would make some good money being the only one open.

Not when you factor in the operating costs..I think an early opening has more value in marketing and goodwill to locals and passholders..

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Two years ago this week (I think it was two) the White Mountains in NH got a big early season snow. It was enough snow for some areas to open but only Wildcat fired up a lift. The reason I heard only Wildcat opened was its lifts had been inspected by the State early. Typically an area will have their lifts inspected shortly before their planned opening day. Without an inspection sticker from the State ski areas in NH can't load the public on their lifts.

Could this have contributed to areas not opening after this years big dump?
Wildcat barely scrapped together enough staff to operate after that dump... it was right up until the last minute before they made the opening for the weekend official. Let's not forget most mountains are just having job fairs right now and don't have the staff to open an entire area for the hoards of dedicated die hards to descend upon. Not to mention... it takes more than a foot of snow to create a base. Two feet is approaching bare minimum acceptable standards for most mountains and that doesn't include grooming which needs a ton of snow to pack it all down to a good base without tilling up rocks onto the surface. Wildcat got over two feet of snow when they opened a few years back.

fixedgrip16

Not to mention... it takes more than a foot of snow to create a base. Two feet is approaching bare minimum acceptable standards for most mountains and that doesn't include grooming which needs a ton of snow to pack it all down to a good base without tilling up rocks onto the surface.

This is important because of the danger waterbars pose especially on 1 or 2 WROD with aforementioned throngs devouring the unconsolidated foot or so of cement.

Chris I

it's skiing. ride at your own risk. of course they wouldn't groom it and it would be shotty for you people who take so much pride in your new planks. but come on, live a little it'd be sick

you guys are old:eek:

PLUS you don't HAVE to go. you could just sit at home and look at TR's all day

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Dude, you are preaching to the converted. I am halfway out the door to earn a foot of fresh. I am just telling it like it is from the ski area's perspective. Maybe that is just the wisdom that age brings.... being able to understand and explain things even if you don't agree with them ;)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

You make it sound so easy and with little cost! It's no longer 1960 when you went over to Uncle Bob's hill, he fired up the old Ford and you grabbed the rope and went up.

2Planker

You can't just open a ski resort 'cause there's snow on the ground.

It takes MANY employees to make it happen.
Lift Operators
Lift Mechanics
Patrollers
Ticket window people
Food service
Mt management/admin.

They usually hire folks for a tentative start date, and hope that everything goes according to plan. Just because Mother Nature is ahead of schedule doesn't mean that the resorts can flick the switch - and go full steam.

fixedgrip16

Not only all that but there wouldn't be a question regarding grooming. You're not going to attempt to groom a foot or two of wet snow on unfrozen ground-- not happening. The tractor would spin up all sorts of mud and rocks. Skiing's definately a sport with inherent risk and that's the way it should be thought of. Unfortunately in our litigious society when you provide lift access that automatically makes the resort "aiding/abbetting" in someone potentially getting hurt. Of course it's John Q. Gapers fault. . . it's not the mountains fault for existing or the resort for providing the ride. An early season dump of a couple feet might be enough for a small area with grassy slopes to open for a few days but not the upper flanks of a big mountain where most of the snow is and unfortunately the biggest rocks. Hurting gear's not the issue. John Q. Public getting hurt because there's no base, no rope closures, patrol on duty or other mtn. personnel is a legal issue. . . and all the other reasons mentioned make it unrealistic to just open on the fly because diehards who are willing to hike would rather ride lifts. Lifts will be turning soon enough.

BLESS

funny I read this post, then 10 minutes later I read a post on another skiing message board about a bunch of guys that went to plattekill and evidently the owner (Laszlo?) came out and offered them full use of a double lift for the day for $750. They turned it down.

tjf67

You make it sound so easy and with little cost! It's no longer 1960 when you went over to Uncle Bob's hill, he fired up the old Ford and you grabbed the rope and went up.

Oh the good old days. Now you flip a few breakers and hit a green button and off it goes. Like magic.
SHAZAAM

SIKSKIER

Wildcat barely scrapped together enough staff to operate after that dump... it was right up until the last minute before they made the opening for the weekend official. Wildcat got over two feet of snow when they opened a few years back.

I just looked into the photo archives on Wildcats site and it was October 28 2005 when they opened at the last minute for that one weekend.They still had not been able to call an opening on the 26th.They actually recieved about 4 feet of snow that week.I was supposed to be there and could not make it but talked with my friend after he finished hiking to the very top in 3-4 ft drifts.Very tough to make it all happen in a few days.

funny I read this post, then 10 minutes later I read a post on another skiing message board about a bunch of guys that went to plattekill and evidently the owner (Laszlo?) came out and offered them full use of a double lift for the day for $750. They turned it down.

lol..I'd be tempted to throw down the cash..lapping up untracked all day..but for $750 you could heli-ski for a day