• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat - 3/18/05

patricsaint

Date Skied: 3-18-05

Resort or Ski Area: Wildcat

Conditions: packed powder, some ice on steeper terrain

Trip Report: This is Day One of a four-day trip, my first to Upper New England. (Attitash, Sunday River and Bretton Woods reports to follow as soon as possible)
Finally made it up to the Cat! Been waiting for years and it did not disappoint. Beautiful sunny Friday, little windy at times but not bad. And this is also my first time being in the presence of Mt. Washington.
Met up with my buddy Mac from RI who was kind enough to show me around the mountain. We got an early start and decided to take the scenic way down first and ski the (really) long Polecat trail. I'm sure bunches of you have been there but what a flippin view! Being able to look right into Tuckermans Ravine was pretty cool.
Not having a ton of trails and being no crowds that day it was pretty easy to do laps on the HSQ and ski most of the mountain. Trail highlights for me included Lynx, Catapult, Wildcat and cruising the trails (lift riders right) off the Bobcat Triple.
A lot of the bump trails (which I don’t ski) had some icy spots and it was a blast watching others lose the battle to the “pond ice”. Hopefully none of them got hurt.
One observation about the trails and ratings, the Greens seemed tougher than normal and the Blacks a bit easier. Kind of a "compressed" ratings IMHO. Anyone else think the same?

All in all an awesome way to get acquainted to some serious skiing in NE.
ps:posted a nice pic of MT Washington in the gallery.
8)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
One observation about the trails and ratings, the Greens seemed tougher than normal and the Blacks a bit easier. Kind of a "compressed" ratings IMHO. Anyone else think the same?
while polecat is a bit tougher than the average green due to it's legnth and double falls and occasional drop offs, i think it's hard to comment on the difficulty of blacks since you didn't ski wildcat's toughest blacks that had bumps. overall, i think wildcat has about an average toughness on their black trails. nothing horribly steep though, but you probably missed some of the steeper bump lines like al's folly and what not.

awf170

the only black that i think should be a blue there is middle catapult, but they also have runs like hairball and feline which wouldnt even be runs at most ski areas

awf170

look at my pic of hairball in the gallery(if it ever finishes downloading :angry: ) then you will see how compressed the raiting system is :wink: :wink:

Terry

wildcat

I've got almost the exact same picture of tuckermans that I took last march 14th. There is a drastic difference in the snow cover! Way more snow up there this year!!
:beer: