• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wind Holds Monday?

skiboarder

Planning on powder day at Hunter Monday, but I am concerned with wind holds. 25 MPH winds are forecasted. How does Hunter do with their lifts on windy days?

dmc

Im bringing skins just in case...

Verdict is out on the new chair(6) some speculate that it needs a wind block up top..
Otherwise lower chairs are usually open if we don't lose power... Sometimes the westside is open and you can take a shuttle bus over there..

keyser soze

Regardless of chair holds, I think I'll go up Tuesday rather than freeze my arse off on Monday with the wind. There is plenty of good base already and a foot of fresh on top will be even better. I think I'll enjoy it more without the 25 mph wind even if I don't get fresh tracks.

It's snowing and sticking already in central NJ (exit 130 GSP:)

KevinS

Any opinion on souther vermont/southern new hampshire? I know Mount Snow is generally bad on windy days, but what about Loon or Waterville? (CSC day is there tomorrow so it might be worth the extra drive to save $40 per person).

kingslug

well I'll be up there..but I don't have climbing skins...damn..have the boots, bindings, skis..just never got the skins..and there's nowhere to buy them....but I'm staying until tuesday anyway....and they didn't close last year during the 7 footer so hopefully this won't be worse.

Edd

Any opinion on souther vermont/southern new hampshire? I know Mount Snow is generally bad on windy days, but what about Loon or Waterville? (CSC day is there tomorrow so it might be worth the extra drive to save $40 per person).

I'm no Loon expert but I think they are resistant to wind holds.

rocojerry

I'm no Loon expert but I think they are resistant to wind holds.

Gondola @ loon closes first on wind-hold days, followed by north-peak quad.. Lower mountain lifts and east double usually can run.... I think the lifts at south peak may have wind-sensor shut-offs, but I could be just imagining things there...

WinnChill

Not sure how sensitive the lifts are for them but with NE winds shifting back NW through the day Monday, they'll cut across Watervilles slopes and would imagine being an issue for the PM. Loon is N facing so if winds head straight into the slope it may not be as bad...however, they may have limitations no matter the direction.

soulseller

I am assuming my work will be closed tomorrow and considering my options for tomorrow.

I'd like to do Magic because I am sitting on a few passes but it is a hike from RI and it is sure to be slow going.

More likely it will be BEast, Sunapee, or Gunstock and if all else fails there is always Wawa.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Not sure how sensitive the lifts are for them but with NE winds shifting back NW through the day Monday, they'll cut across Watervilles slopes and would imagine being an issue for the PM. Loon is N facing so if winds head straight into the slope it may not be as bad...however, they may have limitations no matter the direction.

I've arrived at Mt. Snow before to find every lift on hold for the entire day. These are purported to be pretty strong winds.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I am assuming my work will be closed tomorrow and considering my options for tomorrow.

I'd like to do Magic because I am sitting on a few passes but it is a hike from RI and it is sure to be slow going.

More likely it will be BEast, Sunapee, or Gunstock and if all else fails there is always Wawa.

If those are your choices on a Holiday week, I'd go for Beast. The trails won't be beaten down nearly as fast at BEAST.

skiboarder

Im bringing skins just in case...

Verdict is out on the new chair(6) some speculate that it needs a wind block up top..
Otherwise lower chairs are usually open if we don't lose power... Sometimes the westside is open and you can take a shuttle bus over there..

Thanks, local knowledge rules!

skiboarder

Magic has a good reputation of chairs running on very windy days.

WinnChill

Stowe Gondi on wind hold--4runner quad is open...Loon, Gondola and North Peak on hold...Sugarloaf, Spillway East and King Pine on hold.

SIKSKIER

Go to Cannon.Everybody else has windholds this morning but Cannon has everything running.North wind does not effect Cannon much.And now they are reporting 19-21 new as of 6:30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ragged's Summit 6 pack is on windhold. Feel bad for anyone who purchased a ticket there today. practically zip for terrain when the six is closed.

keyser soze

What do you guys think the roads near Hunter will be like tomorrow? I got a new (for me) car and I just took it around the block and it absolutely sux in snow, even with a stick. I may have to trade for a Subie in the summer.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
What do you guys think the roads near Hunter will be like tomorrow? I got a new (for me) car and I just took it around the block and it absolutely sux in snow, even with a stick. I may have to trade for a Subie in the summer.

Get a good pair of snow tires. Much cheaper alternative than getting a new car.