• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Windham Mountain (Friday, 11/25/05)

d3vil

Date(s) Skied: Friday, 11/25/2005, 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Resort or Ski Area:
Windham Mountain, Windham, New York

Conditions: Manmade, Sunny, 20's, some wind

Trip Report:
Went with a group of 5 ppl total including me.
All of us are snowboarders. Today was the 2nd day after opening day and lift tickets were $25.

6 trails open. 1 double black, 1 black, 2 blue, 2 greens.

They said they have 6 trails open for the day, but 2 of the trails are essentially connected together (upper whistler and lower whistler). So to me, there's realistically, only 3 real trails, with 2 of the trails connecting at a junction point to end in the same upper whistler, lower whistler trail. See the trail map to see what i'm talking about. I hate when mountains do that. It is a very annoying marketing ploy to make it appear as if there were more trails when there really aren't.

There was complete snow coverage on the slopes, except for maybe 1 slightly bare spot on the whole mountain which is pretty good. They were blowing snow the whole day we were there. There were maybe 2 icy spots total for all 5 trails so ice wasn't really an issue. They had unconnected orange markers outlining a boundary, but you could easily go outside the boundary to ski/snowboard in some 6" powder and come right back in. There were also some small jumps throughout the mountain that were nice.

The green trail "What's next" was pretty good for beginners, nice and wide, fairly long.

The other trails "Whistler By pass", "Lower Whistler", "Upper Whistler", and "the wall" were in good shape with snow being blown on them constantly.

The beginner terrain park was open with 3 small rails. 1 thin straight rail, 1 wider yellow straight rail, and 1 fairly wide rainbow rail. I saw 1 guy grooming the small hill leading to the rainbow rail so they appear to be taking care of the terrain park.

Overall: I liked Windham a lot, the trails were challenging (for someone who hasn't snowboarded the whole summer) and not too icy. I expected a lot worse for the day after opening day, but was pleasantly surprised at how decent it was. :D Go check it out Saturday ($30 lift tickets)