• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Woodbury Blowing Snow Saturday and opening Sunday

skiersleft

Don't have any reliable source. Other than the fact that this is the forecast for Woodbury on Saturday night:
----
Saturday Night: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
----

They can open on just one night of snowmaking. With snow showers likely and a low of 25, wouldn't surprise me if they make a run for it and open Sunday. They've done it in the past. :fangun:

drjeff

Don't have any reliable source. Other than the fact that this is the forecast for Woodbury on Saturday night:
----
Saturday Night: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
----

They can open on just one night of snowmaking. With snow showers likely and a low of 25, wouldn't surprise me if they make a run for it and open Sunday. They've done it in the past. :fangun:

If the storm predicted gets anywhere close to the track they were thinking this morning for CT, Woodbury could be in trouble, with the worst scenario. Some marginally cold temps, little precip, and a high amount of humidity. Not a good set up for making some snow.

skiersleft

If the storm predicted gets anywhere close to the track they were thinking this morning for CT, Woodbury could be in trouble, with the worst scenario. Some marginally cold temps, little precip, and a high amount of humidity. Not a good set up for making some snow.

Perhaps, but 25 degrees will allow them to make snow, regardless of humidity. And what they need is a wet base building snow anyway. If the forecast does actually verify, it's not a bad scenario.

Black Phantom

Perhaps, but 25 degrees will allow them to make snow, regardless of humidity. And what they need is a wet base building snow anyway. If the forecast does actually verify, it's not a bad scenario.

Woodbury needs a "wet base building snow"? For what?

Are you in an institution?

SIKSKIER

I know they have a few times but

Didn't see anything about that on their website but I did find this amusing statement:

Woodbury Ski Area is typically the first ski area open on the East Coast.
Really?

Did somebody let SR know about this?

Butternut is awesome. They have a trail called Lucifer's Leap. I hope to try it this year.
Butternut is actually a nice place. Lots of lifts, great quality snowmaking and grooming, good food on the hill. But flat, flat, flat. Only for beginners and low intermediates.

I had not heard of Woodbury before this thread, but I found these reviews online. Scary. Looks like if you go there you'd best be tubing.
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?o...lt&ct=placepage-link&resnum=4&ved=0CEEQ4gkwAw

2knees

Butternut is actually a nice place. Lots of lifts, great quality snowmaking and grooming, good food on the hill. But flat, flat, flat. Only for beginners and low intermediates.

I had not heard of Woodbury before this thread, but I found these reviews online. Scary. Looks like if you go there you'd best be tubing.
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?o...lt&ct=placepage-link&resnum=4&ved=0CEEQ4gkwAw

I was just screwing around. I went there a bunch with junior high and high school bus trips but havent been back since. They, according to my wife, offer a good season long kids program so we are thinking of doing that.

o3jeff

I was just screwing around. I went there a bunch with junior high and high school bus trips but havent been back since. They, according to my wife, offer a good season long kids program so we are thinking of doing that.

I actually went up there with my niece and nephews last year, like Ski the Moguls said, lots of lifts so very little waiting and the kids loved it. Only draw back is a very small base lodge.

I actually went up there with my niece and nephews last year, like Ski the Moguls said, lots of lifts so very little waiting and the kids loved it. Only draw back is a very small base lodge.
They have 2 lodges. One is just a short walk up the hill. Think of a really small version of Okemo. Because of the 2 lodges they did not seem crowded to me - but I have only been there twice in the last 5 years.

bvibert

Staff member
Didn't see anything about that on their website but I did find this amusing statement:

Woodbury Ski Area is typically the first ski area open on the East Coast.
Really?

Did somebody let SR know about this?

They had a streak for a few years of being the first to open, not in the last several years though.

zinger3000

I've read that Woodbury is always the first to open in Connecticut, which I think is pretty much true.

I really like Butternut, but I tend to avoid it on the weekends, because it usually gets super-crowded (probably due to their dirt-cheap season passes.) Definitely not for advanced skiers, as I'm an intermediate, and can do their few black diamonds (though the steep portion on each of those black diamonds is right at the top of my ability level.)