• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Word to the Wise: Don’t Cut Your Own Glades on Vermont State Land

thetrailboss

Staff member
This guy and his insurer are paying $75,000 to settle a claim with the State of Vermont for illegal cutting in Hazen’s Notch on State land. He claims that there was a boundary dispute because he owns abutting land, but even then he did cut trees on the State land. This took place not far from the infamous illegal glade and trail system cut by some locals on Big Jay in 2007 or so. That landed these guys in jail IIRC.

The legislature recently updated the law to increase penalties even for small trees.

ANR also has this “guide” as to how to properly cut glades and ski trails:

mbedle

What odd is by cutting the trees on the adjacent park land it didn't really gain him any better skiing. Still had the same vertical drop and pitch that was present on his property.

Edd

From the article, quoting the owner:
“I do feel like the property line dispute should have been taken care of prior to the inventory being taken,” he said. “The cart was put before the horse. They counted the trees before they knew where the property line was.”
I’d suggest, if you’re planning to cut down almost 900 trees on land adjacent to a state park, you confirm the boundary line. Seems like he put the cart before the horse himself.

BenedictGomez

He cut down almost 1000 trees, in a 300 to 400 feet wide swath, which certainly doesnt sound like a glade, it sounds like he was trying to make his own trail.

tumbler

SB had this issue several years ago with someone cutting trees and building a lean-to off of Sunrise.

Edd

Takes alahhhht of motivation to cut down and remove that many trees. Like, he must be short on hobbies.

Tin Woodsman

Pretty easy to get to 1000 in a short span of time/distance if you are counting saplings and other undergrowth as trees.

thetrailboss

Staff member
or he was lumbering and that has bigger penalties vs "glading for skiing"
The guy was sophisticated enough to know to claim that there was a boundary issue thus triggering his (presumably) title insurance coverage so I would not put this past him.

cdskier

The guy was sophisticated enough to know to claim that there was a boundary issue thus triggering his (presumably) title insurance coverage so I would not put this past him.

Ahh...I was wondering why his insurance was responsible for paying the fine...didn't think of that!

bigbob

Ahh...I was wondering why his insurance was responsible for paying the fine...didn't think of that!
Good point especially where it wasn't on his own property if it was his homeowners policy.

Tin Woodsman

Having done some glade trimming in the past, this is absolutely true, especially in softwood forests. There can be 20 "trees" in a 5' square area.
Right - exactly my point, having done a little of that myself.

I can pretty much guarantee this isn't a "Jay scar" level issue.

jimmywilson69

yeah prior to these last few posts I had the same thought. if a "tree" is anything 1" in diameter or more, it wouldn't be a clear cut to get to 1000.

If it's say 4" or more, then it might be a significant clearing

Newpylong

Officials “observed fresh sawdust, as well as saplings, stems, and fresh green leaves within this area, approximately 300-400 feet wide and 100-130 feet in length,” the complaint stated.

cdskier

It isn't clear to me whether that entire area was actually clear-cut or if it was just thinned with only some of the trees in that area being cut down. I'm thinking the latter...

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If his true intent was illegal lumbering why cut down the little baby trees?

Sounds like this guy has a chain saw fetish. My hometown was destroyed 5 years ago by a MACROburst and to help with the clean up my boss at the time was coming up the hill to my neighborhood in his full size pickup with all the FEMA/disaster crews to be one of the first ones to start cutting up shit. He was salivating at all the trees down. Didn't just help me, helped my neighbors too. Found "fun" trees to cut and started cutting away. He did so much with the chainsaw that day and didn't want to stop so he sent me to get more gas for the chainsaw lol. He cut from dawn well into the night (in May, too).

I don't understand it but my friend is the same way...he did wood cutting as a college "sport" driving 10 hours to competitions and such.