• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WTF with all the back packs

Tin

Who gives a shit what other people are doing/wearing. You guys sound like a bunch of Andy Rooneys

Says the guy from south Jersey who rocks jeans and an avalanche beacon while skiing Snowshed.

I don't care if you wear a pack, just don't let it get caught so they have to stop the chair when you get to the top.

machski

The only time I have a pack in the East (inbounds) is when I anticipate severe wind holds and plan to hike/skin up. Then I need so e extra gear to climb up/ski down with. Out west when needing beacon/probe/shovel, totally different story

dlague

With two younger boys, not having a backpack would mean constant trips back and forth to the car and depending which resorts you are skiing, that can be a major or minor pain. "I'm thirsty." "I'm hungry." "I'm too hot, can you carry my fleece?" "It's cold, do you have an extra layer?" "My gloves are wet." etc. Welcome to skiing with kids!

I have to say that once you get used to skiing with a backpack, not wearing one feels very odd...
We skied with four boys all starting around 3 years old - never needed a pack.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
I haven't noticed an over abundance of packs, or sports jerseys......

I tend to only notice the true rarities, like 25 year old rear entry ski boots.

Never much cared for skiing with a pack. Just assume leave it in the lodge. Going in and out of the lodge at Wildcat, Crotched or Attitash really isn't that big of a deal.

dlague

I haven't noticed an over abundance of packs, or sports jerseys......

I tend to only notice the true rarities, like 25 year old rear entry ski boots.

Never much cared for skiing with a pack. Just assume leave it in the lodge. Going in and out of the lodge at Wildcat, Crotched or Attitash really isn't that big of a deal.
I agree! It is easy to go to the lodge real quick. Especially when it is cold. The few time I used a pack the extra gloves were cold and beer was shaken up.

Hawkshot99

I strongly dislike skiing with a pack on. I never do it at a resort in the east, but do bc.
Out west however I always wear one. I DRINK ALOT of water (6-7 gallons a day) back east without elevation. Out west I need more to stay hydrated. My pack has a 3 litre bladder in it. I drink that in the morning and refill at lunch for the afternoon runs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

I can't get the obsession that so many of the holiday weekend only crowd has with wearing the jersey of their favorite sports team over their ski coat??? At times this weekend I wasn't sure if I was skiing in VT or in either Madison Square Garden (lots of Knicks and Rangers jerseys) or Metlife Stadium will all of the OBJ Giants jerseys!!!

Well just to let you know, and semi back up my fellow NY metropolitan area breathren, Patriot and Bruin (and Sox) attire was on full display at both Sunapee and Loon this weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

slatham

We skied with four boys all starting around 3 years old - never needed a pack.

Grew up 1 of 3 boys, and I have 3 girls that started at 3 or 4 years old. Never had a backpack. You bring your stuff to the lodge, not onto the Mountian.

That said, I do occasionally ski with a pack (like last Friday) when I skin up to get pre-open first tracks and need the pack for skins, binding inserts, layers, etc. But even then I will typically ditch the pack after a few runs.

But if you ski with a pack and don't cause issues then go for it. But if the lift stops for you then lose it.

bdfreetuna

When I used to ski with a nice superzoom lens camera I'd use a small Dakine backpack. Figured I almost never crashed on my back and it was too large to fit in any kind of coat pocket.

I'd throw some other things in there as well since I was carrying a pack anyway.

The camera eventually broke (though not from being carried in a ski pack!) and don't bother with any of that now.

As for skiing in jeans.. my jeans aren't the skinny hipster variety so it's not really an issue. Been trending more towards spandex style pants lately but I'll still rock the jeans if it's going to be insanely cold.

Sugart

Says the guy from south Jersey who rocks jeans and an avalanche beacon while skiing Snowshed.

I don't care if you wear a pack, just don't let it get caught so they have to stop the chair when you get to the top.

Lets face it, I look good in jeans and how are you going to find me on those tough greens when I get lost.

bdfreetuna

Who gives a shit what other people are doing/wearing. You guys sound like a bunch of Andy Rooneys

Sugart you nailed it. Skiing is the one sport where everyone... the local broke bum to the Porche SUV driving out of stater, can look at each other, point and think "what an asshole".

All that matters is it's people having fun enjoying the outdoors and doing something positive for their fitness.

dlague

Grew up 1 of 3 boys, and I have 3 girls that started at 3 or 4 years old. Never had a backpack. You bring your stuff to the lodge, not onto the Mountian.

That said, I do occasionally ski with a pack (like last Friday) when I skin up to get pre-open first tracks and need the pack for skins, binding inserts, layers, etc. But even then I will typically ditch the pack after a few runs.

But if you ski with a pack and don't cause issues then go for it. But if the lift stops for you then lose it.
When skinning or backcountry skiing it makes perfect sense.

dlague

I do not think any one really gives two shots whether someone wears a pack or not. I think it is more of a curiosity thing. Inquiring minds want to know?

Tin

Don't care if you wear it, just take it off on the lift.

Watched a small boy, probably 9-10 get stuck on a lift yesterday because his pack got stuck on the back rest, his father was also on the lift with a pack on. The liftie stopped the lift before he hit the stop bar. Some of the straps on those Osprey's can definitely keep a 60-70 pound child stuck.

dlague

Actually you want to make sure you have plenty of storage! Should hold a whole families worth of layers or extra gear.

eba6b5ac81e1e8a84cc6b2021c10ea3b.jpg