• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Yankees vs. Red Sox

SkiDog

TwinTips21 said:
I've got a new idea for a thread. Lets count world series championships for both the yankees and the red sox in two separate threads and see which thread lasts longer!

HA...I love this idea... :D

M

skibum1321

TwinTips21 said:
I've got a new idea for a thread. Lets count world series championships for both the yankees and the red sox in two separate threads and see which thread lasts longer!
How about we count the number of wins this season for each team in 2 seperate threads and see which lasts longer

SkiDog

skibum1321 said:
How about we count the number of wins this season for each team in 2 seperate threads and see which lasts longer

Ha....this thread is going to go bad quickly..Ha HA.... :D

One season does not a dynasty make........sorry....

And truthfully the thread isnt going to be all the much longer for Boston this year....the World Series thread...would go a LOT longer....sorry again... :D

;-)

M

deadheadskier

Staff member
SkiDog said:
One season does not a dynasty make........sorry....

M

true, but one historic collapse in the ALCS will land your team in Wikipedia under the definition of choke

"in what is regarded as a breathtaking role reversal, in the 2004 American League Championship Series against the Red Sox, the Yankees became the first team in professional baseball history, and only the third team in North American professional team sports history, to lose a best-of-seven series after having taken a 3-0 series lead. This "feat" has been recognized as one of the worst and most embarrassing chokes in sports history."

back on topic

I look forward to having a season's pass for the first time in three seasons and spending a lot of time at Sunday River and Sugarloaf

SkiDog

deadheadskier said:
true, but one historic collapse in the ALCS will land your team in Wikipedia under the definition of choke

"in what is regarded as a breathtaking role reversal, in the 2004 American League Championship Series against the Red Sox, the Yankees became the first team in professional baseball history, and only the third team in North American professional team sports history, to lose a best-of-seven series after having taken a 3-0 series lead. This "feat" has been recognized as one of the worst and most embarrassing chokes in sports history."

back on topic

I look forward to having a season's pass for the first time in three seasons and spending a lot of time at Sunday River and Sugarloaf

Typical Boston Fan retort :D ...you pick ONE instance...and try to capitalize on it....all I can say is...19 world series championships....choke or not...name another team with even HALF that many....???

I know though it is EASY to hate the yanks...when you're the "best" many hate...its hard being on top.....and yeah yeah...maybe not "right now", but this season aint over yet...only half way...lots o ball to be played...

Anway...what was the original topic again??? oh yeah...

Im looking forward to hitting up Jackson Hole even if the tram is not running..man I love that resort..

M

deadheadskier

Staff member
SkiDog said:
Typical Boston Fan retort :D ...you pick ONE instance...and try to capitalize on it....
M

Actually if you'd like, I'd be happy to discuss 16 NBA titles, 5 Stanley Cups and 3 Superbowl Rings :)

skibum1321

SkiDog said:
Typical Boston Fan retort :D ...you pick ONE instance...and try to capitalize on it....all I can say is...19 world series championships....choke or not...name another team with even HALF that many....???

I know though it is EASY to hate the yanks...when you're the "best" many hate...its hard being on top.....and yeah yeah...maybe not "right now", but this season aint over yet...only half way...lots o ball to be played...

Anway...what was the original topic again??? oh yeah...

Im looking forward to hitting up Jackson Hole even if the tram is not running..man I love that resort..

M
Everyone knows that sports is really all about the right now. The fans care about what you can do for me now. Therefore, it is hard to call the Yankees the best. They haven't won a world series since 1999.

As for claiming that the Sox have 1 World Series title, maybe you should do the research next time since they have won 6 (2004, 1918, 1916, 1915, 1912, 1903).

In other sports, teams that have won a number of championships:
Celtics have 16, but today no one cares about that. They suck. Sure they had their glory days but they are long past. Just an example that it is all about what can you do for me now.
Canadiens have 24, which is the most in professional sports (as far as I know). Again, though, they are not great now and no one cares about all of the championships.

For the Yankee fans, they won't ever let anyone forget how many championships they have won. I've never seen a population relive their past glory so much.

SkiDog

skibum1321 said:
Everyone knows that sports is really all about the right now. The fans care about what you can do for me now. Therefore, it is hard to call the Yankees the best. They haven't won a world series since 1999.

As for claiming that the Sox have 1 World Series title, maybe you should do the research next time since they have won 6 (2004, 1918, 1916, 1915, 1912, 1903).

In other sports, teams that have won a number of championships:
Celtics have 16, but today no one cares about that. They suck. Sure they had their glory days but they are long past. Just an example that it is all about what can you do for me now.
Canadiens have 24, which is the most in professional sports (as far as I know). Again, though, they are not great now and no one cares about all of the championships.

For the Yankee fans, they won't ever let anyone forget how many championships they have won. I've never seen a population relive their past glory so much.

Im not trying to get nasty or anything. I NEVER said that Boston only won ONE world series, so check yer facts first...I said you use "one instance" of the yanks losing to prove your original point...that makes no sense...there is NO ARGUING that the yanks are the dynasty of baseball..no other team comes remoetly close and ONE "choke" doesnt mean anything...

I also said name one other team that has half as many world series championships...I MEANT BASEBALL TEAM..hence the "world series"...I dont think its called that in any other sport.....so...I could care less about those other sports..

I personally am not a "what have you done for me lately" fan...I pick the team I like and stick to them good or bad..thats what a "fan" is...

Again its hard being on top....noone likes being in second...thats the FIRST LOSER...

;-)

M

JimG.

Staff member
skibum1321 said:

It beats the hell out of reliving past failures and "close but not quite".

SkiDog

skibum1321 said:

And I never met a team that lived so long talking about a non existant "curse".....now what will you have to "complain" about????

And wow...7 years ago was when they lst won a world series...??? Hmmm how many years between Bostons???

I guess the Yanks are horrible...? lets wait til the seasons over and they crown the New champs...then we can discuss this years performance or any other year for that matter...

M

2knees

SkiDog said:
all I can say is...19 world series championships....choke or not...name another team with even HALF that many....???

lol. its 26 not 19.

looking forward to a trip to tahoe. my buddy from cali called last night and wants me to come visit for a few days this winter. havent been out there in 3 years. i would love to check out some of the north shore resorts.

SkiDog

2knees said:
lol. its 26 not 19.

looking forward to a trip to tahoe. my buddy from cali called last night and wants me to come visit for a few days this winter. havent been out there in 3 years. i would love to check out some of the north shore resorts.

my bad..I was confused from another post that used that #...you are correct sir...I dont know how I made that mistake...what a dolt I am...

19 ....26...who cares though...still the TOP by a HUGE margin.....but 26 sounds good cause its more than a quarter of all the series EVER PLAYED.....that makes it even better...

M

2knees

SkiDog said:
my bad..I was confused from another post that used that #...you are correct sir...I dont know how I made that mistake...what a dolt I am...

19 ....26...who cares though...still the TOP by a HUGE margin.....but 26 sounds good cause its more than a quarter of all the series EVER PLAYED.....that makes it even better...

M
I posted 19-1 previously just as a reminder of the yankee/indians game tuesday night. anyway, the yankees have the most storied and rich baseball history of any team around. I dont begrudge that nor, as hard as it may be to believe, do i actually hate the yankees. '04 took all the sting out of it for me and now i just like to watch good baseball. I love the sox and always will but for me, the media and fan hype over red sox/yankees has just gotten to be too much. Its almost cliche'.

SkiDog

2knees said:
I posted 19-1 previously just as a reminder of the yankee/indians game tuesday night. anyway, the yankees have the most storied and rich baseball history of any team around. I dont begrudge that nor, as hard as it may be to believe, do i actually hate the yankees. '04 took all the sting out of it for me and now i just like to watch good baseball. I love the sox and always will but for me, the media and fan hype over red sox/yankees has just gotten to be too much. Its almost cliche'.

True dat....media hype stinks....rivalries are good though...better for the sport...leave the media out let the fans decide rivalries...

I don't hate the Bo Sox at all...nor do I hate the Mets...they are my teams rivals...if the yanks won every game (or boston for you fans) it would be BORING to watch....

I just hate that Steinbrenner won't buy any good pitching..HA....Pitching WINS WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIPS...if you look back at 96-99 for the yanks..the PITCHING dominated....truly dominated....now...we rely on bats..and they get Brrrrr COLD quick...

M

SkiDog

WAY to break this off...thanks...

Mods are great arent they...?? They keep a clean and stable playground for us...

Many thanks..

M

P.S. GAME ON....

SkiDog

hmmm and at this point in the season the Yanks...despite playing horribly..are only 3 games out of first....hmmmm Bostons lead dwindles as I speak.......lets see what happens after the all star break....

3 whole games??? I wonder if the yanks will ever be able to overcome such an obstacle... HA

;-) its all in good "fun"...no malice meant really...

M

skibum1321

SkiDog said:
Im not trying to get nasty or anything. I NEVER said that Boston only won ONE world series, so check yer facts first...
M
I know that you didn't say it - someone else did. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I qualified it ahead of time saying that I was talking about other sports. I know you were talking about World Series - but I think it was a valid comparison.

Even if you are a fan and stick by your team, the fact remains that most people only care about the recent past. Very few people care about the 5 championships that the Sox won in 1918 and prior.