• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

You might be a Gaper if

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
2knees said:
color me gaperific then. cause i rarely see any reason to start early. short of a powder day, i run out of gas before i run out of time.

Sorry, some of these could apply to me as well,:oops: . I guess that maybe with the exception of Marc, we may all still have a little gaper in us.

Greg

Staff member
andyzee said:
I guess that maybe with the exception of Marc, we may all still have a little gaper in us.
The first step in recovery is being able to indentify what is gaperness.

Last edited:

2knees

andyzee said:
Sorry, some of these could apply to me as well,:oops: . I guess that maybe with the exception of Marc, we may all still have a little gaper in us.

it's all in good fun. i was laughing when i read your post cause i'm a lazy a$$ 10-3 skier. errr gaper.

JimG.

Staff member
#38: You arrive at your first lesson with JimG. with your left boot on your right foot and vice versa and then proceed to complain that your boots don't seem to fit very well.

True story...and I went cross eyed trying to figure out what was wrong with that picture until my eyes finally realized what was going on. There is no dignified way to sit down in the middle of the beginner area and take your boots off to switch feet.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
#39 You get boots to "fit" you that are actually 2 sizes too big because they are more comfortable and roomy like slippers.

#40 You think that I ski well (lol) :)

#41 You have driving gloves on, or knitted mittens.

#42 Your ski socks and your gym socks are the same pair.

#43 You have 3 pair of heavy socks on because you think it will keep your feet warmer.

#44 You are envious of the little kids that make it down the slope only falling once.

noski

#41 You are always keeping an eye out for a red jacket with white cross (ie sledhaulingmedic)- ...just in case.
#42 You ride the lift down and wave to all the people you know who are going up. Maybe that didn't make me a gaper.... maybe that meant I knew I was in over my head and was not afraid to admit it...

(edit, re-numbered)

teachski

Website
teachski.com
OK, so this is a true story...I once found a kid at the area where I work with tube socks on for mittens...his feet were bare in the boots, they were rear entry three or more sizes too big and they were not buckled. He had lost his ski and boot and it was heading down the hill and he was sitting there with his bare foot in the snow, complaining his foot was cold.

Npage148

haha, that reminds me of a bike ride i took with a friend from the city. The ride was around rural Western NY. He stopped and told me he never seen a horse in a field w/o a saddle on.

ga2ski

## I have no clue . You follow your boyfriend up to the mountain every weekend for to take a few runs and call it "quality time".

##+1 you look the part (i.e.) really expensive ski clothes, but can't ski.

##+2 Your boots shatter and socks fall out (that are shoved in the front because they are about 5 sizes too big) because your parents bought them at a yardsale, but kept them near the radiator in the basement. Apparent heat and cold extremes decreases the strength of the shells. (real story when from when I used to coach).

Last edited:

catskills

teachski said:
#35 You buy your ski equipment at yardsales and/or get it at the swap shed at your local landfill..
Hey wait a minute. What is wrong with perfectly good gear from landfills.?

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
highpeaksdrifter said:
#16 - While standing in a lift line a fellow skier of the opposite sex asks if you're single you reply "Sorry, I'm married". My wife actually said that one time.:lol:

Be glad this was her first reaction!

Phildozer

hammer said:
#6. You think you're an expert because you can ski a black run at a 200' vertical ski area...

That's priceless!

One of the kids in my neighborhood love to talk skiing with me and he says he's an expert because he skis the "black diamond" trail at Ski Ward.

Ah, to be 11 years old again...

Phildozer

teachski said:
#33 You match from head to two, including your ski socks and skis.

This just means you're from New York, most likely the North Shore of Long Island.

Last edited by a moderator:

jackstraw

(usually viewed from the lift) in awe of the heel rider w/ his skis locked so close together its as if he's riding a monoboard.

Greg

Staff member
You wear a face mask on a 30 degree day...

JimG.

Staff member
Phildozer said:
This just means you're from New York, most likely the North Shore of Long Island.

Take a look at some ski areas outside of New England...the matching ski outfits usually mean you're from Texas.

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
You wear a face mask on a 30 degree day...
Last season I was working the top of our beginner lift on a particularly warm Feb. day. I had on some of those nylon pants that you can un-zip the legs to make them into shorts, so I did. It was pretty funny seeing the looks on the faces of the newbs who were all bundled up (some even with face masks) while I was standing there with shorts and a t-shirt on. :p

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
highpeaksdrifter said:
#16 - While standing in a lift line a fellow skier of the opposite sex asks if you're single you reply "Sorry, I'm married". My wife actually said that one time.:lol:

Good one! Not heard that one before. #13 is such a classic.

Your on the chairlift and you hear "hi" from the guy next to you and when you return that act of cordialness you realize he is on the phone and wasn't talking to you. You then overhear him say " did you know they have towns up here that don't have traffic lights" , "I didn't get any sleep in the condo, it was too quiet", next trip I'm downloading some sound effects that have gunshots and horns blaring into my Ipod".

When I was younger I thought gapers were annoying and deserved no respect whatsoever. Now it's the complete opposite. If it wasn't for the gapers not sure what the ski resort industry would be like. Not sure if this is true overall but from what I have experienced they spend more money at the resorts than the hardcore experienced skiers/riders do?