• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

machski

White Cap is a tough nut to crack due to the way Les put those lifts in. I also agree that consolidation should be the goal but I'm just not sure how to do it.

I also looked at one point (and just looked again). You could remove the White Cap quad and replace with a T2B lift without changing the alignment at all. I also wouldn't put in a mid-station, that would be a sure way to inflate the install and maintenance cost. Folks can deal with the short run out to get a detachable.

You would need to do some trail work like widening Salvation, Heat's Off, widening and snowmaking on Lower Bim's, etc to handle the additional traffic.

In lieue of absolute massive trail work to get a novice grade off the top there is also the option of leaving Tempest as is and simply running it on weekends and busy days. That would handle the lower skier levels.
True on the mid-station adding costs on both ends, but it does offer easier access back to the Summit Hotel. Still, given the wind issues at the top of White Cap, I doubt they do this ever.

Newpylong

True on the mid-station adding costs on both ends, but it does offer easier access back to the Summit Hotel. Still, given the wind issues at the top of White Cap, I doubt they do this ever.

Another reason to leave Tempest as is and run it as needed.

LoafSkier19

Funny. But I have looked, they could run a detach from the base of WC to the top of the Heat with a midstation for both load/unload at the current Heat base terminal with a slight bend in said midstation. Would cut down lifts need to operate most days and still provide good access options to the summit hotel (either off the top or off the midunload which would be considered green terrain I'm sure). The one problem to this is no Green Terrain out of WC off just that lift (though I'm not certain many of us consider Bear Paw a Green except in the best of the best snow conditions on that trail). Doubt it would eve happen, but if they are pivoting to a detach on Tempest, they should really examine the options to trim up the lift fleet over there if they can.
The real flaw I see here is if you abandon tempest chair and the top half cant run there is no way out of WC base on the lower half of your lift.

kbroderick

The real flaw I see here is if you abandon tempest chair and the top half cant run there is no way out of WC base on the lower half of your lift.
I wonder how much of the wind risk could be mitigated with engineering decisions. That was clearly a priority with J8, and that lift is now one of the less wind-affected lifts on the upper mountain.

Newpylong

Once you move up to a 6 pack things really improve as far as wind resistance due to how heavy the carriers are. I don't think it's the right location for a 6 though.

There still is a lot of engineering that can be done with a quad that would improve the situation though. That lift can hug the ground for the most once it crosses the trail, just like K did with Superstar when they lowered the towers.

soposkier

White Cap has always intrigued me with the three lift layout since skiing there as I kid. We would always use white cap as the base. loved the little white cap pod when the park was there. Now that I am skiing with kids the little white cap pod is great beginner terrain with zero crowds. Im sure nothing would change for lift length/alignment, but that cobbled together lift will need replacement at some point (maybe??). Any fixed grip is obviously fine there.

That's my little white cap tangent. Back to the big lift discussion.

Newpylong

I agree 100% it's a great area for the kids and novices away from the brutality that can be South Ridge. They've pumped so much money and effort into improving the experience to the other base areas, it's high time White Cap get some attention. It is drastically underutilized acreage IMHO.

machski

Another reason to leave Tempest as is and run it as needed.
That would be best obviously with this TTB HSQ idea replacing WH. Still, it leaves 3 lifts that have to be maintained at WC.

Regards to wind at the top of the heat, I have no idea how much more you can mitigate it on that mostly treeless expanse. I guess they could erect wind fencing, but that isn't the most attractive option but likely the only mitigation they can do. WH as is hugs the ground fairly tightly already.

Newpylong

So perhaps it's a moot point then eh? The new lift or carpet loader will go where Tempest is... I still think that needs to a HSQ.

Andrew B.

So perhaps it's a moot point then eh? The new lift or carpet loader will go where Tempest is... I still think that needs to a HSQ.
I would say these are the most likely scenarios
Based on the sounds of it they would like to market HS lifts at all base areas. My money is on a HSQ or 6. When’s the last time Boyne bought a new HS4?
I bet the carpet loader is now a distant memory.

machski

I would say these are the most likely scenarios
Based on the sounds of it they would like to market HS lifts at all base areas. My money is on a HSQ or 6. When’s the last time Boyne bought a new HS4?
I bet the carpet loader is now a distant memory.
I'm still leaning to they replace North Peak first with likely a 6 and then reinstall the old fully retfurbed at Tempest. But who knows what their next moves are. They could opt to get rid of South Ridge next since it is now the only HSQ at any of the three not directly serviced and supported by Dopp, not to mention it could use a capacity boost for Chondi hold days.

Newpylong

I think the desire to replace North Peak was wisely reset when Heon took over as evident by what he said in the storm Podcast. Replacing that lift would be idiotic, it's perfect as is capacity wise and doesn't even run daily.

Riverveteran

I think the desire to replace North Peak was wisely reset when Heon took over as evident by what he said in the storm Podcast. Replacing that lift would be idiotic, it's perfect as is capacity wise and doesn't even run daily.
Doesn't seem to have a lot of issues either....doesn't go down.

Edd

Sorry if this has been covered, but I see on Instagram that Jordan is still open. When I was a regular they’d closed it by this time of year, whatever the conditions. Have they been going later in recent years or is this pretty new?

chuckstah

Sorry if this has been covered, but I see on Instagram that Jordan is still open. When I was a regular they’d closed it by this time of year, whatever the conditions. Have they been going later in recent years or is this pretty new?
Jordan is open till the end, the last two weekends are out at Jordan now. This started last season. Except for no lodge, and no convenient bathrooms, it worked good for the actual skiing with all the Jordan snowmaking trails, as well as one run in Oz open.

machski

Jordan is open till the end, the last two weekends are out at Jordan now. This started last season. Except for no lodge, and no convenient bathrooms, it worked good for the actual skiing with all the Jordan snowmaking trails, as well as one run in Oz open.
It also gives the mountain ski in/ski out accomodations with the Jordan Grand that they did not have out of Barker to the end.