• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WST: 3/16-17.....Mid-March Madness....

kingslug

Looking a bit like ...frozen
Ill decide thursday..but wtf..how does it rain almost every fucking friday..then freeze..this is nuts..

Skrn

I was really looking forward to this coming weekend as base is deep in many places. May have to sit this one out due to rain/freeze. What a shame.

kingslug

A shame..Stowe just got 9 inches..and pretty much for nothing. Going to go from rain friday and 50 deg, steady drop to 16 on Sunday.
Nice and shiny :(

drjeff

'Tis the time of year when you've gotta just deal with the weather and conditions regardless if you want to get the days in, as before we know it, the most dreaded AZ thread of the year will pop up, the annual "closing dates" thread, which is often also filled with a bunch of remorse about days not skied and "been saving X# of vouchers for a great day and won't be able to use them all" posts.

Eastern skiing at times is as much defined by the weather and snow challenges we often face over the course of a season as it is for those really good to great days we do get as well! It's mid March, the vast majority of ski areas will be closed a month from now (or less), time to get at it while we still can, weather be damned if needed!

cdskier

A shame..Stowe just got 9 inches..and pretty much for nothing. Going to go from rain friday and 50 deg, steady drop to 16 on Sunday.
Nice and shiny :(

I feel like this has happened more than usual this year.

cdskier

cdskier have you had a bad year? Maybe it has been just VT that has been sucky this year as NH has been skiing pretty great almost every week.

No...wouldn't call it bad or sucky. I've had quite a few good days. Just stating there have been what seems like a higher than usual number of snow storms followed by thaw/freeze events right before the weekend.

Whitey

No...wouldn't call it bad or sucky. I've had quite a few good days. Just stating there have been what seems like a higher than usual number of snow storms followed by thaw/freeze events right before the weekend.

I gotta say I am with CD on this one as I was thinking the same thing about a week ago. It's been an OK winter for snow but it seems like every single snow storm has either ended with rain or been followed by rain within a week or less. I know it happens every year but I also know that we have a lot of years where we get 6-8 weeks where the temps stay mostly below freezing and the snow is preserved better/doesn't get its bullet proof shell.

It's the northeast, it happens. Of course this is the first season in 3 yrs where I don't have a western trip planned. Of course the west is getting nuked this year. . .

MG Skier

'Tis the time of year when you've gotta just deal with the weather and conditions regardless if you want to get the days in, as before we know it, the most dreaded AZ thread of the year will pop up, the annual "closing dates" thread, which is often also filled with a bunch of remorse about days not skied and "been saving X# of vouchers for a great day and won't be able to use them all" posts.

Eastern skiing at times is as much defined by the weather and snow challenges we often face over the course of a season as it is for those really good to great days we do get as well! It's mid March, the vast majority of ski areas will be closed a month from now (or less), time to get at it while we still can, weather be damned if needed!

What Dr. Jeff said....figure it out kids, we have to deal what is dealt....I am going to slightly adjust how I approach the remainder of the season.....if conditions are iffy I am not going to burn as much gas and stick closer to home. If it looks great for a weekend, time to burn some sick days on either end. My $.02

Glenn

I gotta say I am with CD on this one as I was thinking the same thing about a week ago. It's been an OK winter for snow but it seems like every single snow storm has either ended with rain or been followed by rain within a week or less. I know it happens every year but I also know that we have a lot of years where we get 6-8 weeks where the temps stay mostly below freezing and the snow is preserved better/doesn't get its bullet proof shell.

It's the northeast, it happens. Of course this is the first season in 3 yrs where I don't have a western trip planned. Of course the west is getting nuked this year. . .

This sums is up. Seems that after the big dumps, we'd get a deluge of rain. Or the snow would come, change to sleet and keep the totals down. It hasn't been a bad winter, just one that seemed like it never got in gear.

Edd

I’m with Smellytele. This last month in NH I’ve had nothing but good days. Tons of snow here.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

Not sure what fantasy world you live in, but rare is the year we get a good 6-8 week stretch with good amounts of snow and no warmth or rain in between. Many years with a stretch without the wet, we don't get a ton of snow in that window as we are stuck in an Arctic airmass that blocks out most storms. In NH and Maine, we have had it damn good since mid January or so. Sure, a few wet events but those we recovered by nature pretty fast. When we get very active storm cycles, it is inevitable that we get a rain storm or 2. It means the jet is very active and variable, and it doesn't take much of a swing west of us to deliver the wet. Always has, just a fact of our rather coastal location and the tropics of the Caribbean unfortunately aligned to flow it's air up to us with a jet swung just to our west.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
My take as a weekday skier...

I've had a bunch of great days at the areas I ski at and the season has been an A for me. But I have noticed that any crappy weather seems to happen on or just before weekends.

Killington has been buried in snow since I started getting into the trees in November. Last week I had several days in the trees at Belleayre that were borderline spectacular. Even Okemo produced a powder day for me. A little rain on Friday isn't going to flush the season away that's for sure.

tumbler

Put in close to 40 days at the Bush and I have had a good season so far. Enough snow, little refreshers and a few surprises that have kept things in good shape and deep. I can't get worked up over the weather, I have no control over it.

kingslug

I imagine that Stowe will close with 100% coverage. They have gotten 267 inches so far..that pretty close to even Park City which is at 319.
They could go till May at that rate. Wouldn't mind a warmup and spring skiing right till the end.
Good season with the usual Feb frustration thrown in...The March of last year..we are not getting ..it would seem.

kingslug

slatham

It’s crazy to me that smuggs has gotten ~330 but Stowe only 270

I saw that too and there is NO WAY it’s apples to apples. My guess is Smuggs opened in November before Stowe and thus includes a bunch of accumation that Stowe doesn’t. Only other thought is Stowe measures at the base and Smuggs up high. Or both.