• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A "SMART" Ski Lift: The Future of Ski Lifts?

Glenn

Interesting concept.

The difficult part of implementing something like this will be the rapid change in technology in a lift system that's designed to be in place for 15-20 years. I give a quick example: A gym I used to go to installed all new treadmills that had 30 pin iPhone connectors on them...just as the lightning connectors were being widely adopted.

Hawk

LOL I think that once they bata test those suckers and the usual Fuc-sticks vandalize them with lighters or smash the display screen, they will go away and you will be left with a very expensive gondola car that does exactly what it did before. Transport people up the mountain.

AdironRider

BenedictGomez

Just yet another example of tech for techs sake.

Bonus points for this being really expensive, which will further incrementally drive up the cost of skiing.

While we're at it, I don't need a television on my refrigerator either.

SkiingInABlueDream

A "SMART" Ski Lift: The Future of Ski Lifts?

I generally hate vandalism and am disappointed when i see its presence in the skiing world. But the threat of vanadlism helping keep marketing TV screens out of chairlifts is a good thing. ironic...[emoji849]

AdironRider

I generally hate vandalism and am disappointed when i see its presence in the skiing world. But the threat of vanadlism helping keep marketing TV screens out of chairlifts is a good thing. ironic...[emoji849]

It is not vandalism it is just the nature of gondolas and ski equipment. Poles, helmets, ski boots, snowboards forced to go in under the seats when you have 8 snowboarders in a car, etc, all put some serious wear and tear on gondola cars. I have yet to see one more than a year or two old that isn't scratched all to hell.

SkiingInABlueDream

It is not vandalism it is just the nature of gondolas and ski equipment. Poles, helmets, ski boots, snowboards forced to go in under the seats when you have 8 snowboarders in a car, etc, all put some serious wear and tear on gondola cars. I have yet to see one more than a year or two old that isn't scratched all to hell.

I agree that regular use puts a lot of wear gondolas but I think vandalism would be a factor too. The vandal's mind is always looking for something to mess up.

skiur

So what do you call the graffiti? That's not vandalism?

Killingtime

There was already graffiti on the inside of some of the bubbles on the new Snowdon six a week after it opened to the public. Good luck with these new gondola cars.

ghughes20

Perfect Example...

Interesting concept.

The difficult part of implementing something like this will be the rapid change in technology in a lift system that's designed to be in place for 15-20 years. I give a quick example: A gym I used to go to installed all new treadmills that had 30 pin iPhone connectors on them...just as the lightning connectors were being widely adopted.

Also, in a few years, when the stuff in the cabin becomes obsolete, it will be ignored and most people will have more functionality in their current phone. Those cabins will look terribly dated in less than 10 years, just like the VCR sitting under my TV. Hell, even my BluRay player is collecting dust. 4k via streaming is the way to go - for now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I imagine that the power source will be batteries? I hope there’s some type of emergency egress in case of a short! Jump or fry is not a nice way to go.

The Gondolas at Aspen have the ability for someone to wirelessly connect their phone/MP3 player so that one can play their choice of music. The cabins use solar panels:

perfectsummervideo1_dcta100.ashx

I imagine that they would use a similar system for this technology.

And the Aspen gondolas I have ridden in were very clean with no vandalism.

BenedictGomez

The Gondolas at Aspen have the ability for someone to wirelessly connect their phone/MP3 player so that one can play their choice of music.

Does the cabin come with weapons so you can beat that person to death, or do you have to use your ski equipment?

And what if 2 people connect, does it only play the 1st person who go it to connect?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Does the cabin come with weapons so you can beat that person to death, or do you have to use your ski equipment?

And what if 2 people connect, does it only play the 1st person who go it to connect?

No to Question No. 1. :lol: As to Question No. 2, I only learned about it when two other folks got in my cabin and one of them connected to share her playlist with us. So I think it is first to connect wins. :lol: