• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Base Area Bars

The Sneak

#1 Black Line Tavern @ Magic

#2 Crazy Horse Bar & Grill @ Berkshire East

#3 the upstairs bar @ Bolton

Never been to Bolton (hoping to get there someday) but I wholeheartedly endorse the other two. Maybe throw in Bear Den or any number of places at Sugarloaf, too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ceo

The Bag, Sugarloaf (I haven't been to Widowmaker since they remodeled it)
Cannonball Pub, Cannon
General Stark's, MRG

Cafe 4080 at Cannon gets an honorable mention, for making Cannon the only 4000 Footer where you can have a beer on tap at the summit.

NYDB

Cannonball Pub, Cannon
General Stark's, MRG

Cafe 4080 at Cannon gets an honorable mention, for making Cannon the only 4000 Footer where you can have a beer on tap at the summit.

I thought there was beer on tap at K's peak bar (which is a very nice spot on a clear day)

NYDB

The topo map for Cannon puts the Café 4080 100+ feet shy of the actual summit as well. never been there. Maybe the map is lying or I'm reading it wrong. It would be pretty cool to have a bar at the actual summit of the mountain with 360 degree views

mccleaks

Not base area, but Bullwinkles at Sugarloaf takes the cake for me even though they tend to get overcrowded.

A couple smaller areas with lodge bars I have always appreciated...
-Goosefeathers Pub at Sunapee
-Blizzards Pub at Shawnee Peak
-The Outlook at Nashoba Valley for us Massholes

nhskier1969

Cannonball Pub, Cannon
General Stark's, MRG

+1

Newpylong

Honorable mention (not due to them being "good" but because you can always sit down and have a drink no matter how busy it is) for the K Skye Bar (end of day) and Sunrise Cafe (lunch) at Killington.

mister moose

Dunno about Sushi Yoshi in Stowe. At Killington, they not only have their share of locals, but where else are you going to get Hill Farmstead, Foley Bros, Four Quarters, Bourbon County Stout, and a dozen other worthwhile beers on tap?
You get these beers at any of the bars at Lincoln Peak, regularly.
These are in regular rotation at The Station Tap Room and Bullwheel bars at Mount Snow.
It's been a few years since I've been to LP, so likely the list has improved. Distribution is up for several of VT better brewers, so not surprised more bars are gaining access to them. 21 taps though I haven't heard anyone match yet.

K peak bar is about 200 feet shy of the summit.
The topo shows the K1 Gondola terminal just above 4100 feet. The new lodge is maybe 40 feet below that. Pretty sure it's above 4,000 and there is 6 or 8 beers on tap, typically Fiddlehead IPA, Shed, 2 Long Trail, 2 macros.

At the summit of Pico Pass you can have a Guiness with a shamrock artfully poured into the head.

Killingtime

Honorable mention (not due to them being "good" but because you can always sit down and have a drink no matter how busy it is) for the K Skye Bar (end of day) and Sunrise Cafe (lunch) at Killington.

Sunrise is one of the few places in K to get a civilized lunch. The pasta bar is excellent for dinner too. They need to step up the beer selection though.

cdskier

It's been a few years since I've been to LP, so likely the list has improved. Distribution is up for several of VT better brewers, so not surprised more bars are gaining access to them. 21 taps though I haven't heard anyone match yet.

Localfolk Smokehouse in the Mad River Valley has 25 drafts...a few are mass produced crap, but most are local craft beers (including a few of their own that they now brew).​

WinS

The topo shows the K1 Gondola terminal just above 4100 feet. The new lodge is maybe 40 feet below that. Pretty sure it's above 4,000 and there is 6 or 8 beers on tap, typically Fiddlehead IPA, Shed, 2 Long Trail, 2 macros.

At the summit of Pico Pass you can have a Guiness with a shamrock artfully poured into the head.

Mister Moose, we miss you. Come back this spring.