• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

BenedictGomez

Lol...
There is green space between the two. No lift going there. Also DV not going to connect to anyone. Let alone crap hole Brighton owned by competitor company.

Good try. Try again. Look at a map this time too

Then connect Park City to Brighton for the BCC leg. Who cares.

Your opinion is rather naive. Where there are millions of dollars involved, there is a will and a way.

FBGM

Then connect Park City to Brighton for the BCC leg. Who cares.

Your opinion is rather naive. Where there are millions of dollars involved, there is a will and a way.

What don’t you understand about land leases, public land, green space and different companies?

This is like saying Walmart should have a moving sidewalk from their store to Target.

1 Wasatch is never happening. End of story Jerry. Useless idea, does jack shit for traffic. You are probably the type of skier the loves the Park City, let’s ride 7 lifts to ski for 20 minutes.

Stay in Jersey, go ski Breck, brag to the boys at the club that you skied the black diamonds there and the service at the St Regis was sub bar and you’re wife Karen wants a refund.

jimk

Look at their proposed capacity of the gondola. Even being a 3S system, the capacity is paltry for just LCC alone. Don't even suggest they extend this proposal over to BCC too!. BCC needs its own solution!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Good point. Talked to my son who knows more. He favors dedicated bus lane with tons more bus lines. But heck, throw in the gondi too for stormy weather when road is closed for avi mitigation.

BenedictGomez

What don’t you understand about land leases, public land, green space and different companies?

Why dont you explain all this in detail.

Please start with your treatise on "different companies" , that ought' be amusing.

1 Wasatch is never happening. End of story Jerry. Useless idea, does jack shit for traffic.

You think it's really about traffic? That is just adorable!

FBGM

Why dont you explain all this in detail.

Please start with your treatise on "different companies" , that ought' be amusing.

Cant tell if you’re trying to troll and just don’t know how that works or you are to much of a mouth breather to understand what companies do to keep competitors out and how land leases work.

Spark note version: go-
Deer Valley is to the east of the new park city resort clusterfuck. Penske sold it to Alterra. Park city fumbled years back and Vail owns that. Now you get to the very southwest side of PCMR land (Jupiter area) is the closest you come to BCC. Land leases up there are already screwed up. Lol at Vail loosing all Scott’s bowl (if anyone wants to know they story, just ask, that’s funny)

Now there is a road, green space that the city bought and then a checkerboard of other land and ownership between PCMR and Brighton. I did see plans about 7 years ago for the addition of lifts and trails up to 10420 towards Brighton but not getting connected. This would be way harder to happen now.

Also, Vail and Deer Valley will never connect ever. And will never connect to Brighton unless Vail buys Boyne, then game on. Vail currently can’t pay their employees so that’s not happening.

You think it's really about traffic? That is just adorable!

I am adorable, do you have a daughter? I can give you my # for her

1 Wasatch is not about traffic. That was some fucking idiotic idea that they “said was for traffic” to keep the tree huggers happy.

Traffic is PC proper is not to much behind the suck level of BCC and LCC. We got the funds up here in this hood to solve it. But with corona time going on all this shit is non relevant.

This took me 2 coffees to type on my phone. Gonna go poop now.

snoseek

Good point. Talked to my son who knows more. He favors dedicated bus lane with tons more bus lines. But heck, throw in the gondi too for stormy weather when road is closed for avi mitigation.

I've commuted this road a bit and to me this is the easy solution. A steep toll for non workers would help fund the extra bussing. The parking needs to be addressed as well

kingslug

Park City traffic...Not too bad from the Doubletree to the slopes..much better than LCC...The skiing on the other hand does not compare but can be good..at least you can get to it. Its why we base out of PC and ski at Altabird when we want.

ScottySkis

Park City traffic...Not too bad from the Doubletree to the slopes..much better than LCC...The skiing on the other hand does not compare but can be good..at least you can get to it. Its why we base out of PC and ski at Altabird when we want.

With half the snow of 4 SlC hills though no thanks.
I need to out west been 10 years .

kingslug

I've skied plenty of powder at PC and Deer Valley. As with any mountain, you have to be there to get it. LCC and now BCC get slammed with unmovable traffic on a powder day. If you do make it up there you have a big risk of getting stranded trying to get out..hapened to me countless times. So it really doesn't matter how much snow a place accumulates at the moment. that counts for end of season skiing. If PC gets a 1 or 2 foot dump and LCC gets 3..but you can't get there..well..I'm at PC with 7500 acres to mess around with. And it has plenty of steep stuff. The PC haters..and I was one of them when I was at LCC all the time, always say they would die before they ski PC...OK..die. I'll be skiing. And they have good food all over the place...not so much in the surrounding area of LCC.
To each his own.

BenedictGomez

do you have a daughter? I can give you my # for her

Yes. She's 10 months old, so she's already far too mature for you.

I've commuted this road a bit and to me this is the easy solution. A steep toll for non workers would help fund the extra bussing. The parking needs to be addressed as well

RE: massive increases in busing. Would people actually take the bus? It can be hard to change people culturally. I know personally spending 45 minutes per day dealing with a ski bus & 50 of your closest friends would be a pretty big negative.

Park City traffic...Not too bad from the Doubletree to the slopes..much better than LCC...

If those canyons are experiencing the problems they are now, I cant even imagine how horrible it's going to be in a decade or so if the population dynamic forecasts are correct.

Last edited:

kingslug

And thats what sucks for me. I want to move there. I've seen a huge change (obviously) in the past 22 years. Used to be a good dump day was no problem except for avalanches closing the road up and back. Traffic was heavy but not insane. Its a total shitshow now. My friends out there have spent 2 to 3 hours just getting up there and the same getting back..and they live 10 minutes from the road. No way do I want to sit on that road with potential avalanches waiting above me..scary as hell. Its why I like Jackson and now PC..easy to get to. Ad all these plans to mitigate it..yeah..that will happen..never. The logistics are insane. Any plan would take years and be fought no matter what.
As I see it..the only way to score powder days and not deal with shitshows is to ski in obscure like you find in BC and Europe. And deal with the fact that you may not get powder but you won't get crowds (yet) either.
The times..they are a changing...….

gregnye

RE: massive increases in busing. Would people actually take the bus? It can be hard to change people culturally. I know personally spending 45 minutes per day dealing with a ski bus & 50 of your closest friends would be a pretty big negative.

I've taken the ski bus when I was in Utah, since my rental car didn't have chains/awd. It took forever, was extremely crowded, and was very warm inside.

I refused to go back to SLC because of the Cottonwood Canyon situation.

Buses are not the solution to the problem. Neither is adding a lane for cars--that just increases traffic. Any good traffic engineer knows about induced demand.

The real options are: Subway/Train system (would be pretty expensive) or Gondola. I vote for the gondola because it's something skiers know/are familiar with already.

The gondola is also not extremely warm, does not require diesel to run, has lower maintenance costs than a bus, and is not as expensive to run in terms of staffing power (increased bus service requires adding drivers--bus drivers are a skilled job--requires CDL).

Bus also suffers from heavy snow/traffic issues. Even if the bus has a dedicated lane, what if some driver with a Chevy Tahoe skids out on the side. Guess what the dedicated lane is now blocked, slowing the bus down.

I work for a bus service and even I prefer the gondola...

The idea that they are even considering the gondola gives me hope--perhaps too much hope for Utah.

Edd

If you’re flying somewhere to ski anyway, there are so many choices that the Cottonwood areas don’t seem worth the hassle. I’ve been a couple of times and had no issues but these stories are discouraging me from returning.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

FBGM

My vote goes for single person drone drops. Super drone come picks me up at my house with all my gear on. Then just flys me over to and plops me down on top of said mountain. Boom. Gonna start this business - let me call Bezos up and get him in. Future is here. FBGM is at the forefront.

kingslug

I used to take the ski bus from SLC and Midvale..totaly sucked..Had to stand the whole way and sweat my ass off...Fuggetaboutit.
I tend to like staying on the mountain and gettting first chair..and if you get interlodged for a few hours..more the better when you get out.

snoseek

You realize if they just essentially shut the road down and beef up the frequency of busses and parking almost all the issues go away right? The problem with the lcc road is the drivers not equipped with AWD or snow skills. Its not an issue when the road is clear usually

kingslug

Yup..No wheel drive..terified noobs..its a mess. A full on bus system might work..park at the bottom and ride up. They would need a lot more parking.

Cornhead

My vote goes for single person drone drops. Super drone come picks me up at my house with all my gear on. Then just flys me over to and plops me down on top of said mountain. Boom. Gonna start this business - let me call Bezos up and get him in. Future is here. FBGM is at the forefront.

Yes! Wouldn't need to pick you up at home. Drive to back country spot, ride drone to the top, drone follows you back down, calls for help if necessary, repeat. Sadly, I need a pretty powerful drone these days.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app