• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waxing Iron Cord Management

pointpeninsula

HI, new member here.

I'm wondering if other DIY tuners have any tricks to hold their waxing iron power cords out of the way.

I've been tuning my skis for years, and I've always had a basement shop, so I suspended the cord from the floor joists with a bungee cord, which worked pretty well. Now I'm in a condo, using the spare bedroom with a Swix tuning table, and I'm continually fighting the cord.

I've thought of using a clamp-on hook that's sold for clothing ironing, and that would probably work well. (The room has a vaulted ceiling, so attaching from the ceiling isn't an option. I could install a shelf bracket on the wall above the table, I suppose, but I'm thinking there must be something slicker.

What do you do?

thanks. Make some turns!

Tom

hub8

Have you tried an extension cord with the female plug end behind you and drap the iron cord over your shoulder?

drjeff

Extension cord for sure, and have both the waxing iron cord and the extension cord come up on the side of the table that your vice ISN'T attached on to. The cord won't get hung up on the vice that way.

Other waxing iron tip I learned last year from one of the Toko Reps who taught a class I went to, was to get yourself one of the silicone trivets that are popular in most any cooking utensils aisle these days, and you can rest your iron on it in-between waxing passes either upright or lying on the heating plate of the iron and keep it clean and not worry about the wax dripping onto something you don't want it to

pointpeninsula

I've been using an old small baking pan for the iron rest. The 1/8 sheet pan size works pretty well. I agree on the extension cord coming up the opposite side of the bench - that's what I'm doing right now, (and fighting with it as kingslug points out), but having it coming off the ceiling was really a sweet setup.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Have you tried an extension cord with the female plug end behind you and drap the iron cord over your shoulder?
Good idea. Mine has a sturdy rubber guide on the cord as it leaves the iron. Unfortunately, a lot of entry-level irons don't have a good cord.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I use my Great grandmother cast iron antique iron . I heat the back with an acetylene torch ( outside of course ) I get one ski out of it and have to heat in between.
Waxing Nostalgic ;)

kingslug

Im getting all my stuff from race place now..Beast. Its really well made..The brushes are top notch..will prolly last forever..
Also picked up a ski base soldering iron for repairs near the edge..works great

drjeff

Im getting all my stuff from race place now..Beast. Its really well made..The brushes are top notch..will prolly last forever..
Also picked up a ski base soldering iron for repairs near the edge..works great
Love the BEAST products.

Probably got close to 500 pairs brushed with the first brush of theirs I got about 5yrs ago (my family has way too many pairs of skis that I tune very often!!) and the structure it puts out is as good as day 1!

Use the 3* side of BEAST, and 1* base BEAST with their files and stones as well. Their products are top notch for sure!

drjeff

Gotta figure out how to work the power cord for the iron around the Christmas redo of my tuning room that my wife and kids did for me. Love the Craftsman tool chest for all of my tuning gear and the retro style "adult beverage" fridge they got for me!

20201225_120600.jpg

LONGBOARDR

If you have any older fluoro based waxes in your kit, please don't use them.
Look for waxes that are specifically fluorocarbon free.
The fluorinated components are very dangerous to human health and when used indoors could expose you and others to high levels of
perfluorinated compounds aka PFAS via inhalation.

BenedictGomez

Reading this thread was interesting to me in that I just never considered this a huge problem. I'd think if it was a huge problem there'd be a market niche for a cordless waxing iron.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
HI, new member here.

I'm wondering if other DIY tuners have any tricks to hold their waxing iron power cords out of the way.

I've been tuning my skis for years, and I've always had a basement shop, so I suspended the cord from the floor joists with a bungee cord, which worked pretty well. Now I'm in a condo, using the spare bedroom with a Swix tuning table, and I'm continually fighting the cord.

I've thought of using a clamp-on hook that's sold for clothing ironing, and that would probably work well. (The room has a vaulted ceiling, so attaching from the ceiling isn't an option. I could install a shelf bracket on the wall above the table, I suppose, but I'm thinking there must be something slicker.

What do you do?

thanks. Make some turns!

Tom
welcome to AlpineZone Tom!