• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I have definitely noticed with the surge in sales of Epic Passes that the amount of complaining about weather related items (amongst other things 😉) that no ski area has any control over, has increased.

It's almost like many of the Epic newbies, who likely don't live, or spend much time in the mountains and/or seem to struggle with the basic concept that you need COLD air to make snow, seem to think that there's this imaginary switch that ski resorts flip on about the 1st week of November, and all of the sudden ski areas go to full mid winter conditions and operations....

I almost got the feeling in the Mount Snow region yesterday that more than a few Epic newbies had shown up thinking that their original targeted opening date of November 19th happened, and were shocked to see them not open and the down low areas were just patches of unconnected snow that finally were able to be made by the snowmakers in the previous 24-36hrs when temps finally let them run down to the base.

On the flipside, the lack of lifts spinning sure looked like it was a big plus for business at the Snow Republic Brewery as their parking lot was filled with cars parked out along the side of route 100 as well as I was heading back to CT about 3PM!
I hear ya, I was at Hunter yesterday to start putting my equipment in my locker and when I came out there was a girl with her boots on and carrying skis walking towards the lift! There wasn't even any snow anywhere at the base of the Mtn.

slatham

Snowmaking power will come to bear Monday late afternoon through Wednesday. All elevations. Lets see if they can pull it off.

Wednesday night will be interesting. Looks like an inversion situation - haven't looked at soundings but 850mb and 925mb temps >0C, while surface temps get to -2 or -3C. If it pans out and you're ultra aggressive......

Something Friday (not sure I'd label it a "Storm watch" but rather a keep your eye on it). Colder next weekend.

Oh and don't rule out some high elevation snow tonight. Real close call.

drjeff

That is ridiculous... how could you not know they weren't open?

I seriously think that Vail's data driven approach on most everything managed to identify and entice to buy an Epic pass, a subset of the skiing/riding population who have an incredibily limited and niave concept of how it all happens! Almost guarentee that they'll be more sightings of folks with their ski boots on the wrong feet this year!

ctdubl07

Peaks/Vail approach is about as close to pure conjecture as possible. It's been what, 2 seasons with significant uncertainty due to Covid plus we're talking about an area that could more dependent on weather than almost anything else in their portfolio. I'm sure they have the same philosophy, put the snow down when it's needed and when it's possible.

I did see guns shutdown around 8am Sat at base of sweet16 after apparently blowing most of night so they are trying to extend things lower to link core areas. Many forget these whales have to drain and then be spread before their of value. Putting them out their earlier last week would have been a pure waste. It's going to take time and the continued coop of nature.

What I was disappointed at was the lack of services (zero) open at base. No Grind, Bootworks or Grand Summit Sports. I would have liked to drop all of our gear to have it ready for next wknd or grab some sweatshirts for kids. But that pushes me to a local shop so maybe better anyway.

FBGM

Temps look good for future. I’m only a few hours from first turn on. Hope to be able to push through the day tomorrow. Good Tuesday night. Wed/Thursday break then next 5+ days are a go!

tumbler

Temps look good for future. I’m only a few hours from first turn on. Hope to be able to push through the day tomorrow. Good Tuesday night. Wed/Thursday break then next 5+ days are a go!
Maybe I missed it, but what mountain are you running now? I recall you saying it was small.

FBGM

Private resort, not on the map.

99B90307-0967-4D21-96C6-C681FD2CB1BF.jpeg

But we on! Night one. 14 hr day. Been a while since that. It’s chilly. Back at it in AM. Good temp run coming up. Those with big and real systems should be looking decent this time next week.

jaytrem

Private resort, not on the map.

View attachment 52227

But we on! Night one. 14 hr day. Been a while since that. It’s chilly. Back at it in AM. Good temp run coming up. Those with big and real systems should be looking decent this time next week.
Ahh, Yellowstone Club no doubt. :)

jimmywilson69

Roundtop in Dillsburg, PA has 2 trails with them still. the one trail is augmented with Impulses in between the permanent fan towers. The other trail has Ratniks in between the permanent fan towers.

They work pretty decently if the conditions are right and the air water mixture is watched.

IceEidolon

I think Canaan still has a couple trailers, and there are a bunch up in the Midwest.

FBGM

Those old girls kill it. I fixed one today and just fired it up. Thing impressed me. Might not put that in the dumpster next year. Hold onto that even with new stuff coming in.

Mum skier

Looks like plenty of accommodation available at Mt Snow for this weekend. I don’t like Mt Snow much but looking like this might be the only Epic based option to ensure I can tick off a day in November.

spiderpig

Looks like plenty of accommodation available at Mt Snow for this weekend. I don’t like Mt Snow much but looking like this might be the only Epic based option to ensure I can tick off a day in November.
Stowe and Mount Snow are both opening Friday. Since Okemo hasn't announced, I would assume not. Maybe Saturday.

meff

So this will be our first winter at Mt. Snow, have skied it a few times in the past but have a seasonal rental this year. One question for regulars, best shop for a tune/hot wax, yeah I know I could do it myself, been there done that not great at it.

IceEidolon

Those old girls kill it. I fixed one today and just fired it up. Thing impressed me. Might not put that in the dumpster next year. Hold onto that even with new stuff coming in.
They aren't exactly kW/gal kings, but with the right tips and temps a Highland can hang with a TF10 for GPM.

drjeff

So this will be our first winter at Mt. Snow, have skied it a few times in the past but have a seasonal rental this year. One question for regulars, best shop for a tune/hot wax, yeah I know I could do it myself, been there done that not great at it.

First Trax is my go to shop up at Mount Snow without question

Newpylong

They aren't exactly kW/gal kings, but with the right tips and temps a Highland can hang with a TF10 for GPM.

By the right temps you mean at the North Pole! I've seen a TF10 with a 2" hose do a hair over 200 GPM in a 12 degree wet bulb. Never seen a Highland come even close to that.. Once you get into more reasonable temps they fall flat.. They belong in the boneyard with the Hedco Cubs (which I learned on) or converted to Polecats.

Last edited: