• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Question for NH skiers - how crowded does it get during NH school vacation

2Planker

My kids all went skiing on their spring breaks. Some times out west but usually with friends they would vrbo someplace in northern New England.

YUP, That's exactly what my folks thought too........ except we were in Acapulco

Last edited:

cdskier

I don't know of any college kids who are heading to the slopes for Spring Break. If they are, then they;re missing the whole point of Spring Break...
My college spring break was absolutely when I planned my annual VT trip. Those were my first 4 times ever skiing in VT.

bigbob

Tons of chairs going up empty at K based on webcams. I'll be there tomorrow.
I was there today, sharpen your edges. Lines where at the Bubble and K 1, rest of the lifts where not bad. Stick to the trails with recent snowmaking, ice was presentin full force elsewhere after lunch.

Vter

I think that unless things change from a school perspective, it seems like now that more schools DON'T have a full vacation week this time of year than do, and as such, the old perception of school vacation week crowds this time of year just may not be relevant anymore, and these vacation weeks might not be mch more than an above average typical midweek crowd. The February school vacation week(s) isn't the same/very similar as Christmas vacation week anymore crowding wise

Much of that has to do with the lower tolerance for risk that many school superintendents have now vs in the past when it comes to calling a snow day, and as such often they have more snow days per school year now (in most "normal like" Winter's atleast) and as such rather than having to take back days from April vacation or extend the school year in June, they chose to shorten or eliminate February break and pick up some extra school days that way,
Way wrong info there Dr.
I drive busses for schools, events and athletics. Let me tell you straight up you spew some serious crap, but now your in my ballpark, schools here Don’t Cancel because of ice and snow !!!
Another, Flatlander that knows nothing about the Nor East’s day to day. Read, read and read some more, then educate us how we live day to day here and get our kids to school & the Hill. How’s the Condo at Mt Snow treating you…? Wait you have a kid that races…whoa, I heard you that you guys know a lot about …Vt, NH and Maine living.
Yes, I was educated at a Boston University, Sir

deadheadskier

Staff member
Way wrong info there Dr.
I drive busses for schools, events and athletics. Let me tell you straight up you spew some serious crap, but now your in my ballpark, schools here Don’t Cancel because of ice and snow !!!
Another, Flatlander that knows nothing about the Nor East’s day to day. Read, read and read some more, then educate us how we live day to day here and get our kids to school & the Hill. How’s the Condo at Mt Snow treating you…? Wait you have a kid that races…whoa, I heard you that you guys know a lot about …Vt, NH and Maine living.

He's talking about school districts in Southern New England; the ones that generate the crowds. Not local VT school districts.

The southern areas do in fact call snow days in the past decade at sometimes 2" or less. It's maddening as a parent living in coastal NH who sees it every year. Certainly not like VT was when I went to highschool there and how it remains today.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Agree, especially if Pres Weekend is an indicator of things. Busy, but not BUSY by any means.

And while we all don't like liftlines, just rememeber that a liftline or 2 every now and then, is a GOOD thing for the economic health of the industry we all enjoy partaking in
"Music to my ears and spoken like a true believer! I should book you for the next episode of my EPIC Podcast!"

Screen-Shot-2020-06-11-at-11.30.35-AM-1024x728.png

thetrailboss

Staff member
Way wrong info there Dr.
"Hey now, be nice to my boy. You know I hang with him when I am at Mount Snow? If it weren't for me and EPIC, you'd have no job. You need to be appreciative of me and my boy Jeff."

2018-22_rob-katz-by-jb-web.jpg;w=1200;h=800;mode=crop

thebigo

He's talking about school districts in Southern New England; the ones that generate the crowds. Not local VT school districts.

The southern areas do in fact call snow days in the past decade at sometimes 2" or less. It's maddening as a parent living in coastal NH who sees it every year. Certainly not like VT was when I went to highschool there and how it remains today.
Nothing maddening about snow days. Kids grow up fast, every snow day is one more opportunity to ski with your kids.

drjeff

Way wrong info there Dr.
I won't hold that BU education against you. My wife is an alum, and her father was a former department chair there.

Inspite of that, they're nice people.

2Planker

I won't hold that BU education against you. My wife is an alum, and her father was a former department chair there.

Inspite of that, they're nice people.
Ummm he said he was educated "at a Boston Univ.".... ?? Not necessarily BU...

drjeff

Ummm he said he was educated "at a Boston Univ.".... ?? Not necessarily BU...

Fair point.... From seeing a plethora of Boston University logo stuff around my in-laws and my house over the years, I see Boston U.... and my brain just immediately jumps to the Boston University. Who knows it could of been UMASS Boston, where my Mother in-law was on faculty prior to retirement, or that Boston area University that begins with an H where my sister in-law and a cousin of mine have "expensive pieces of paper with their names on them" from?

2Planker

Fair point.... From seeing a plethora of Boston University logo stuff around my in-laws and my house over the years, I see Boston U.... and my brain just immediately jumps to the Boston University. Who knows it could of been UMASS Boston, where my Mother in-law was on faculty prior to retirement, or that Boston area University that begins with an H where my sister in-law and a cousin of mine have "expensive pieces of paper with their names on them" from?
Well, there are over 100 colleges/universitiies in the Boston area. CRAZY I know
https://colleges.cometoboston.com/list-of-boston-colleges

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nothing maddening about snow days. Kids grow up fast, every snow day is one more opportunity to ski with your kids.

Doesn't work like that for the vast majority workers Bigo. If my kids are called off, I'm WFH and then trying to manage both work and childcare. There's also plenty of hourly workers who simply have to burn a vacation day or not get paid.

I'm sorry, but 3" overnight that melts by noon isn't cause for a snow day. Happens all the time here on the seacoast.

skiur

Half the time now they cancel school the night before and then it never even snows!

drjeff

Half the time now they cancel school the night before and then it never even snows!
Guessing that will be the case for numerous school districts say South of the Mass Pike tommorrow the way this storm heading in this evening looks like it will play out with most of Mass in particular being the snow/sleet/freezing rain/rain battleground area.

Any superintendent who's district has school tomorrow will likely be weighing the "out of an abundance of caution...." thought process with the "lets get the days in" thought process

deadheadskier

Staff member
Don't get me started on all of the teacher development days that are now a regular thing 2-4 times a semester. Those didn't exist while I was a kid. Schedule that during the summer break for teachers. School administrations are just completely out of touch with the lives of working families these days it would seem

snoseek

Don't get me started on all of the teacher development days that are now a regular thing 2-4 times a semester. Those didn't exist while I was a kid. Schedule that during the summer break for teachers. School administrations are just completely out of touch with the lives of working families these days it would seem
We had a these quite a bit when I was a kid...maybe 2 or 3 a year.

You could do that during the summer but as it is teachers are way underpaid at least in nh. If I was a grade school teacher I would check out for as long as possible in summer or more likely be working my ass off in a summer seasonal.

deadheadskier

Staff member
We had a these quite a bit when I was a kid...maybe 2 or 3 a year.

You could do that during the summer but as it is teachers are way underpaid at least in nh. If I was a grade school teacher I would check out for as long as possible in summer or more likely be working my ass off in a summer seasonal.

Must be a NH thing. I didn't have those as a kid in MA or VT.

I don't think teachers are underpaid to the point they can't show up a week early in the fall and do these trainings then.

I always vote for higher compensation for the teachers in my town, but the amount of time they have off also needs to be considered. Most people in my line of work are lucky to get 3 weeks off a year total. Teachers get like 16 weeks

snoseek

Must be a NH thing. I didn't have those as a kid in MA or VT.

I don't think teachers are underpaid to the point they can't show up a week early in the fall and do these trainings then.

I always vote for higher compensation for the teachers in my town, but the amount of time they have off also needs to be considered. Most people in my line of work are lucky to get 3 weeks off a year total. Teachers get like 16 weeks
You're not wrong. They can easily supplement. I guess it's just hard to find anyone with that kind of education to fill the slot. I assumed everywhere did this. As a kid those days were the best! If I had kids in the system It would be a drag

urungus

Teachers have many unpaid responsibilities during the summer that still have to be done, such as lesson planning, classroom preparation, continuing education classes (150 hours every 5 years in Mass) to maintain their teaching certification, etc. It’s not a 2 month vacation.