• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Smellytele

The Green Chair took over a decade to complete!

The Black Quad is now on year three or four for a number of reasons.

And (at least arguably) the issues with the Red Chair.

I cannot think of another ski area that has required multiple years to install a chairlift. The only one that perhaps might fall into this category is the Montana Snow Bowl.
BRETTON WOODS took multiple years

Newpylong

You missed one: the upper beginner tow.

Green chair: started by prior management. At least they finished it?

Issues with the red chair? Bullwheel bearing, liner, and sheave replacement? Been there done that, all big jobs but regular maintenance (they aren't issues but will become them if not addressed) especially on old ass lifts where sheaves are impossible to find.

Does it really matter as long as these things get done? The alternative is not as good.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Does it really matter as long as these things get done? The alternative is not as good.
In my book, it does. At the very least it looks like extremely bad luck. But then again it is not my money being invested.

But I, too, am glad that it is not NELSAP.

drjeff

The Green Chair took over a decade to complete!

The Black Quad is now on year three or four for a number of reasons.

And (at least arguably) the issues with the Red Chair.

I cannot think of another ski area that has required multiple years to install a chairlift. The only one that perhaps might fall into this category is the Montana Snow Bowl.
Black I believe is going on atleast year 5. Know it was started prior to the 19-20 season when Covid shut everything down in March, and that will be coming up on 4 seasons ago... 😳

NYDB

Black I believe is going on atleast year 5. Know it was started prior to the 19-20 season when Covid shut everything down in March, and that will be coming up on 4 seasons ago... 😳
Black was acquired May 2018. Act 250 permit submitted summer 18. Realistically, it should have been installed by Christmas 2019. So if its in service this winter that would be 5+ years since the permitting process began, but really 4 years late.

And I don't get why this current ownership group gets flak for Green taking 15 years or whatever. They got it complete and running as soon as they could IMO.

Last edited:

drjeff

Black was acquired May 2018. Act 250 permit submitted summer 18. Realistically, it should have been installed by Christmas 2019. So if its in service this winter that would be 5+ years since the permitting process began, but really 4 years late.

And I don't get why this current ownership group gets flak for Green taking 15 years or whatever. They got it complete and running as soon as they could IMO.

Green has nothing to do with the current ownership group. Heck, they should reap all of the accolades for actually making it happen!

And thanks for the specifics of the timing for the acquistion of the Black from Stratton and the Act 250 submission dates (y)

hughconway

Tomorrow is June 1st and they still don't even have a timeline on the quad completion. I wouldn't recommend holding your breath.

It seems that Magic might be better served by getting the red double chair operational and fixing the pond pump. The new quad won't provide redundant summit access unless the double is actually in service.

thetrailboss

Staff member
...Gondola. Had the cars seating in the woods across the street.
Now taking two years to build a gondola vs. almost five years, and in one case over a decade to install a single lift, is quite different. The former involved supply issues IIRC and a late start. The latter cases had ALL the components on site and involved a relocation of pretty old equipment that was bought to save money. Quite different.

Again, nothing personal at all. We are all critical here and objective. I know years back folks pointed out that, for some odd reason, there was real ire if anyone was critical of Magic. I, too, want to see it succeed, but what is fair for the goose is fair for the gander.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They don't. A poster commented that Black was the only lift that has been this delayed. I had to remind him about Green.

cdskier

Now taking two years to build a gondola vs. almost five years, and in one case over a decade to install a single lift, is quite different.

Current ownership hasn't even owned Magic a decade yet...

So again, you can certainly argue that Black taking 5 years can be blamed on current ownership. But you can't put the blame on Green taking over a decade on them. Apples to oranges.

If you bought a house where the previous owner started installing a pool in their backyard 10 years ago and never finished for whatever reason, would you be ok with people blaming you for it taking over a decade if you finished it a year or two after you bought the house? Of course you wouldn't. So the green "over a decade" duration is irrelevant in the context of the current ownership group's projects.

Newpylong

Tomorrow is June 1st and they still don't even have a timeline on the quad completion. I wouldn't recommend holding your breath.

It seems that Magic might be better served by getting the red double chair operational and fixing the pond pump. The new quad won't provide redundant summit access unless the double is actually in service.
Read much?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Current ownership hasn't even owned Magic a decade yet...

So again, you can certainly argue that Black taking 5 years can be blamed on current ownership. But you can't put the blame on Green taking over a decade on them. Apples to oranges.

If you bought a house where the previous owner started installing a pool in their backyard 10 years ago and never finished for whatever reason, would you be ok with people blaming you for it taking over a decade if you finished it a year or two after you bought the house? Of course you wouldn't. So the green "over a decade" duration is irrelevant in the context of the current ownership group's projects.
Read my post above. Context is everything.

They don't. A poster commented that Black was the only lift that has been this delayed. I had to remind him about Green.

cdskier

Read my post above. Context is everything.
Agree that context is everything. And I'm fairly certain the person that said only black was delayed was referring to lift projects under current ownership. They didn't include green because it isn't relevant to "never-ending" projects under current ownership.

Smellytele

Now taking two years to build a gondola vs. almost five years, and in one case over a decade to install a single lift, is quite different. The former involved supply issues IIRC and a late start. The latter cases had ALL the components on site and involved a relocation of pretty old equipment that was bought to save money. Quite different.

Again, nothing personal at all. We are all critical here and objective. I know years back folks pointed out that, for some odd reason, there was real ire if anyone was critical of Magic. I, too, want to see it succeed, but what is fair for the goose is fair for the gander.
You are moving the target. You said you didn’t know any other installs that took multiple years.

slatham

Hard core Magic powder freaks are paying Pfister to delay completion due to worries about overcrowding and quick pow track out. Not sure how none of you figured this conspiracy out.