• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mpd's Pumpkin Patch

Mpdsnowman

If your like me then you enjoy Halloween more so than Xmas. Ive always carved pumpkins since I was a kid. Sometimes I draw and carve 2, sometimes 20 or more. 50 years later I still do it lol...needless to say our house is popular...

Some call Pumpkin carving an art. I call it fun!

Use this Halloween thread to post your favorite pumpkin carvings, displays or even costumes and lets see what we come up with.

About seven years ago I was on another forum. A very prominent member asked me to draw up a design that indicated his personality. He said if he liked it enough he would make a tattoo out of it..Turns out not only did he do that but others took the design and won carving contests with it..

10629_1049400973178_8162929_n.jpg

Paolo the Clown

Mpdsnowman

The Masque

I was 10 years old when I made this one. Very simple design that everyone loves. It looks really cool when you add dry ice inside it.

40 years running and she is still very popular..

9923_1051838034103_1056469_n.jpg

The Masque

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
that's pretty awesome! my carvings are essentially just triangle eyes, and a mouth with maybe some teeth.

You are in NY but they have some really cool shows around here - the Roger Williams Zoo in Rhode Island has an annual Pumpkinfest thing where they literally have thousands of jack o lanterns - it's very cool - http://www.rwpzoo.org/178/jack-o-lantern-spectacular

Mpdsnowman

Howell

I admit, I love the wolfman. Ive got at least 8 or 9 designs in the library. This one is really cool. Howell has been around for 15 years or so. I bring him out every 5th year. Last year was his appearance so you wont see him for another 3 years. But non the less he is a favorite amongst us wolf heads lol.

8723_1047745731798_6519186_n.jpg

Howell

Mpdsnowman

Bella Luna

My mom always used to say.."cant you do anything nice, your always doing these scary faces...So I made this up for her. She is 87 now and ive been doing this one every year for her for about 40 years or so....

Rule #1...always keep mom happy!

12539_1053916246057_2656753_n.jpg

Bella Luna

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
So ... do you create a template to work from or are these carved from scratch each time? I know nothing about "hardcore" pumpkin carving

skiNEwhere

When I lived in Mass I carved pumpkins every year, until I got tired of them lasting 1 day on our steps before getting smashed. For the last 12 years I lived there my pumpkin was smashed :(

Mpdsnowman

Surprisingly enough I never really had any smashed...Of course Ive smashed my share as a kid lol but never really been reciprocated against. My neighbors would probably chase them down anyway and that would be the end of that lol..

I basically hand draw them and carve them out. Its easier to size it to the pumpkin...Many I have done forever so it really is just sizing. I use alot of different lighting too..

A moderator in another forum is really into wolf's so I drew this up for him about 7 years ago. Ive made several variations on this one

Redwolf2008.jpg

Redwolf

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
When I lived in Mass I carved pumpkins every year, until I got tired of them lasting 1 day on our steps before getting smashed. For the last 12 years I lived there my pumpkin was smashed :(

That's so aggravating!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

skiNEwhere

When I get a little older I'll wait for the kids to smash them so I can chase them down the road with a cane

Mpdsnowman

My brother and I have always been opposites. Being that he is a priest I have always played the roll of the opposite side lol. I made this one up for him so he can see what he is missing lol....

This design has always been my favorite. I dont think a Halloween has gone by without an appearance at the window..

119_2000.jpg

Mpdsnowman

I would add the mountain in the background.....It wouldnt be that hard. I would use shading (which is not cutting thru the entire pumpkin) which really makes a cool effect like a fan favorite below lol.

Frankensteinoriginal2005.jpg

Boris Karloff Frankenstein

Mpdsnowman

Now at this point in the year most would say the pumpkin carving is officially done...Wish it was lol. I now start to get pumpkins placed on my front door with notes on them lol. Apparently people find this to be a fun center table arrangement around thanksgiving time. It wouldnt suprise me if I do ten of these in the next two weeks.

This actually is a good example of "shading" too..

Picture014-1.jpg

Thom

mriceyman

that's when you load up a paintball gun and stake out... lil bastards will learn quick