• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lake Placid

Krikaya

I've just searched the forums for info on Lake Placid, so excuse me if this topic has been covered already. I'm looking for advice on things to do in town on non-skiing days for my trip March 1-3. I usually go to North Conway and know where to stay, where to eat, drink, shop etc. I've never been to LP in the winter so am looking for advice. The skiing is all set. I've got tickets to Gore and Whiteface so I'll be sore on my days off.

Where do you regulars stay? (not too expensive) I'll even stay out of town if there is a gem of a motel on the outskirts. Where can I get some good pub grub and microbeer? Is the olympic museum worth a few hours? Usually when I'm in an unfamiliar place I wander around and drop in some place spontaneously. My favorite restaurant in North Conway is Moat Mountain smoke house and the north colony motel in Bartlett has great rates, clean rooms and it's quiet.

Any good coffeehouses, restaurants or pubs you can recommend?

Thanks.

ChicoKat

I was there last June for mountain biking and kayaking. That is out for you this time of year but here are a few ideas. My wife and I stayed at the Art Devlin Olyimpic Motel. We liked it. It was right off the center of town near the Olympic rink. Clean and reasonable. The lake placid brew pub is ok for some local brew and a burger it is a few blocks from where we stayed. The must stop is the restaurant Liquids and Solids. Walking distance from the motel. This place would stand up in any major city. Foodies heaven and great beer selection. Met the owner who rides. Cool dude, talented chef.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Never had a bad meal at Milano North (Italian and I highly recommend) or Great Adirondack Steak and Seafood Company.

The olympic ski jumps are awesome, you can go to the top and get a nice view of the High Peaks, or just look down the ramp in awe.

Forget the names off hand, but there are some nice clean and reasonable motels in Wilmington next to Whiteface.

skisheep

I've just searched the forums for info on Lake Placid, so excuse me if this topic has been covered already. I'm looking for advice on things to do in town on non-skiing days for my trip March 1-3. I usually go to North Conway and know where to stay, where to eat, drink, shop etc. I've never been to LP in the winter so am looking for advice. The skiing is all set. I've got tickets to Gore and Whiteface so I'll be sore on my days off.

Where do you regulars stay? (not too expensive) I'll even stay out of town if there is a gem of a motel on the outskirts. Where can I get some good pub grub and microbeer? Is the olympic museum worth a few hours? Usually when I'm in an unfamiliar place I wander around and drop in some place spontaneously. My favorite restaurant in North Conway is Moat Mountain smoke house and the north colony motel in Bartlett has great rates, clean rooms and it's quiet.

Any good coffeehouses, restaurants or pubs you can recommend?

Thanks.
First off, welcome to Lake Placid! It’s a great place, one that I’m proud to call my second home. Hope to answer many of your questions, and if you have any more, feel free to ask.

First off, a place to stay. Lake Placid ranges from inexpensive to the exact opposite. A great place that’s right on the edge of Main Street is Wildwood on the Lake. While it’s not on main street(2 minute drive, 10 minute walk), it’s very close, and it more than makes up for it. Inexpensive, indoor heated pool and hot tub, sauna, steam room, wifi, and most importantly nice clean rooms. The people who run it are very nice as well. http://www.wildwoodmotel.com/

Olympic museum isn’t going to take too long, but I think it’s definitely worth a visit.

For food, there is plenty that’s good, but just as much that’s not. Liquids and Solids is great, highly recommended. http://www.liquidsandsolids.com/menus.html# Ashleys Cafe on main street is great for breakfast, think it’s better than Downtown Diner. Desperados, right across the street from Wildwood, is a great mexican place, a locals favorite. http://www.mexiquinn.com/ TripAdvisor is usually decent when it comes to restaurants in Lake Placid, with the usual caveat that people complain more than they praise, although some of the complaints at certain places are justified. If it’s below 3 stars, it’s probably not worth eating there, although make sure to read the individual reviews.

One thing to not miss is the bobsled ride. It’s pricey, borderline ripoff(up to $80 now), but the experience and adrenaline rush is totally worth it. The videos on youtube are great, but you have to do it for the experience. Make sure to make a reservation!
http://www.whiteface.com/activities/bobsled-experience

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask away and I’ll do my best to answer them!
-skisheep

Scruffy

Go to watch the ski jump training at night, it's cheap and gives you an up close spectator view of ski jumping you would only get at a ski jumping event. Fooed: Nicole's on Main, was always good, if they are still there.

Krikaya

Thanks to all who responded. Last time I was in Lake Placid I was on my motorcycle and it was 95 F. Like riding in a convection oven. I'd forgotten how small the town is. Which is good because it limits my choices.

I was checking out the online menu at Liquids and Solids which IMHO is the worst name ever for a restaurant and I saw the BEST name ever for a beer-Mothers Milk Stout, because it combines the 2 things men love the most-breasts and beer. Can't wait to try it.

jfrenchu

Thanks to all who responded. Last time I was in Lake Placid I was on my motorcycle and it was 95 F. Like riding in a convection oven. I'd forgotten how small the town is. Which is good because it limits my choices.

I was checking out the online menu at Liquids and Solids which IMHO is the worst name ever for a restaurant and I saw the BEST name ever for a beer-Mothers Milk Stout, because it combines the 2 things men love the most-breasts and beer. Can't wait to try it.

lake placid brewpub is good as is great adirondack brew co

Last edited: