• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smart phones?

Do you have one or more smart phones?

• Yes

Votes: 40 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 31.0%

• Total voters

o3jeff

This what my "smart" phone looked like after a trip last friday:
28747_4843939625298_2021928338_n.jpg

Apparently it wasn't "smart" enough to get out of the way of the moving airplane seat... :roll:

I was returning from a trip to Thailand, and all my pictures from the trip were on it... :smash:

Did you get a new phone? Did you file a complaint with the airline asking for reimbursement and telling them thank god your had wasn't there or it would of got crushed by the merciless seat?

bvibert

Staff member
Did you get a new phone? Did you file a complaint with the airline asking for reimbursement and telling them thank god your had wasn't there or it would of got crushed by the merciless seat?

I thought about complaining, but I really just wanted to get off the plane and go home at that point.

ctenidae

Are T-Mobile's rates lower if you pay up front? Seems like they should be, since subsidizing the phone woudl really just be a form of paying it off over time, with the termination fee covering (theoretically) the unpaid balance of the phone purchase.

What am I thinking? Of course they aren't! Rates are just as high, PLUS you pay for the phone! Amiright?

wa-loaf

Are T-Mobile's rates lower if you pay up front? Seems like they should be, since subsidizing the phone woudl really just be a form of paying it off over time, with the termination fee covering (theoretically) the unpaid balance of the phone purchase.

What am I thinking? Of course they aren't! Rates are just as high, PLUS you pay for the phone! Amiright?

They are if you pay full price for the phone. If you buy a subsidized phone the rate goes down after the 2 year contract ... ATT and Verizon you keep paying the subsidized rate ...

ctenidae

They are if you pay full price for the phone. If you buy a subsidized phone the rate goes down after the 2 year contract ... ATT and Verizon you keep paying the subsidized rate ...

If T-Mobile's business sense were paired with ATT or Verizon's coverage, it'd be great...

bvibert

Staff member

Yes, but 1.5 years into my 2 year contract I go and get a new phone, so I'm never paying subsidizing rates for an old phone that's already paid for.

The current contract model works fine for me.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Yes, but 1.5 years into my 2 year contract I go and get a new phone, so I'm never paying subsidizing rates for an old phone that's already paid for.

It's kind of like the Lease vs. Buy debate for cars. It is nice to own a car without having payments. And you do have to shell out the 2 bills or so for a new phone, if you're buying new state of the art phones eevery 2 years.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Yup. with Verizon you are throwing money away if you DON"T upgrade.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Me too but now they got rid of that also. Now you have to wait the full 24 months :(

Geoff

Me too but now they got rid of that also. Now you have to wait the full 24 months :(

VZ is still 18 months into a 24 month contract. The problem being that if you take the offer, you lose the grandfathered unlimited data feature. My phone uses WiFi 99% of the time so my network data use tends to be very low. I don't think my world would end to be capped at 2 Gig when I almost never cross 1 Gig.

The thing I can't live without is unlimited voice. In the winter, I don't have a land line. I can easily do 2000 minutes/month on conference calls.

I expense my bill. What matters to me is that I don't get finance pissed at me by submitting a huge bill. They happily pay my very expensive monthly Verizon bill with unlimited data/voice/text, 100 meg of international data, and insurance on the phone.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

VZ is still 18 months into a 24 month contract. The problem being that if you take the offer, you lose the grandfathered unlimited data feature. My phone uses WiFi 99% of the time so my network data use tends to be very low. I don't think my world would end to be capped at 2 Gig when I almost never cross 1 Gig.

The thing I can't live without is unlimited voice. In the winter, I don't have a land line. I can easily do 2000 minutes/month on conference calls.

I expense my bill. What matters to me is that I don't get finance pissed at me by submitting a huge bill. They happily pay my very expensive monthly Verizon bill with unlimited data/voice/text, 100 meg of international data, and insurance on the phone.

+1 I use my phone all the time commuting on bus 3 hours each day not with free WFII and 2 g plan works great for me.

mlctvt

I think the no contract low price phone plans are putting pressure on Verizon and ATT. My wife and I used to have Verizon but we switched in December to Republic wireless plan at just $19.99 month unlimited Data, Voice and Texts. It's working well for us. We cut our phone bill by about $100 a month! You have to buy the phone up front and currently there's just one phone offered. It's a 3G phone runningthe older Gingerbread software. This summer they will be introducing new phones running Ice cream sandwich 4G. It will be interesting to see what happens then.

Last edited:

tekweezle

Just wanted to add that after 13 plus years, I finally switched off VZW and am on Page Plus cellular using my same 3g smart phone. Still have Verizon service, fraction of the price.

I also bought a Freedompop mifi running on Sprint network for mobile Internet use. Haven't used in ski country yet but 500 mb for free should be useful.

Sent from a Samsung Fascinate running CM 10.1

Last edited:

Edd

The HTC One keeps getting great press. I'm going to take a hard look when I'm up for renewal in October but I'm pretty tempted to just stick with the iPhone for another cycle. I've had the 4s for a year and a half and it has been completely rock solid reliable. Seriously the most glitch free device I've owned. It's the only Apple product I've ever purchased and I use the thing constantly.