• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pacific Rim

Edd

Soooo, I saw this today in IMAX 3D. I am not a fan of 3D. However, this is visually the best movie I've ever seen. The script...eh. If you're in the mood to have your socks blown off by special effects and cinematography I strongly recommend this film. The 3D was like...very, very 3D-ish. And I'd go IMAX. All or nothing for this movie.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
And it was beaten out by a terribly reviewed Grown Ups 2 at the box office this weekend :-?. I really wanted to see it but the local 3 screen theater isn't bringing it in, they held the Lone Ranger over instead. I would have to drive an hour and a half to watch P.R. on a good 3D screen and I just don't have the time to do that right now.

drjeff

And it was beaten out by a terribly reviewed Grown Ups 2 at the box office this weekend :-?. I really wanted to see it but the local 3 screen theater isn't bringing it in, they held the Lone Ranger over instead. I would have to drive an hour and a half to watch P.R. on a good 3D screen and I just don't have the time to do that right now.

Based on the overall box office for that flick, your local movie theatre might be the ONLY 1 in the country extending its run ;)

Edd

Yeah that was insane about Grown Ups. Did those folks not see the first one?

For perspective on Pacific Rim, it is very different from the Transformers films, of which I've only caught bit and pieces on HBO. Those movies suck and so does Michael Bay.

I'm reading that the box office is slower than anticipated in the US and that it needs to make $400 million worldwide or so to motivate them to make a sequel.

Script-wise they made it very accessible for a global audience. I would have thought this movie is poised to pull a billion world-wide. I'm curious to see what happens.

Geoff

For perspective on Pacific Rim, it is very different from the Transformers films, of which I've only caught bit and pieces on HBO. Those movies suck and so does Michael Bay.

Michael Bay movies aren't all bad. I kind-a like oogling Scarlett Johansson in white spadex in The Island. Ewan McGregor does a credible job as the co-lead. The supporting actors like Steve Buscemi and Sean Bean do their usual good work. The movie is targeted at a little bit older audience than the Transformers movies and I don't think any of us are in the target demographic for Transformers movies.

Geoff

I also think 3D sucks. I have about a 45-minute limit before I get blurred vision from those cheap movie theater 3D glasses. For a full length movie, I feel like a Steve Martin "The Jerk" Opti-Grab victim.

optigrab-orig.jpg

google-glass-cross-eyed-opti-grab.jpeg

drjeff

I'd also point out that Transformers also had one redeeming quality that makes it watchable for any male with a pulse:

foxtransformers250darker_3.jpg

How did we all survive before this glorious era of big screen HD TV's and great resolution Blu ray players that allow us to stop and take a close, extended look at the exact "concept" the director was trying to capture from the cast during the filming that we could only briefly pick up on when the movie was playing the the theater?? ;) :)

Geoff

How did we all survive before this glorious era of big screen HD TV's and great resolution Blu ray players that allow us to stop and take a close, extended look at the exact "concept" the director was trying to capture from the cast during the filming that we could only briefly pick up on when the movie was playing the the theater?? ;) :)

This is not a new thing.

Back in the 1980's VHS video rental era, Fast Times at Ridgemont High had a very high tape failure rate. The tape pretty much always failed at the Phoebe Cates swimming pool scene.

phoebe-cates-red-bikini-fast-times.jpg

ctenidae

This is not a new thing.

Back in the 1980's VHS video rental era, Fast Times at Ridgemont High had a very high tape failure rate. The tape pretty much always failed at the Phoebe Cates swimming pool scene.

That's funny- I think "Witchboard" had the same problem at the Tawny Kitaen shower scene (none of the screen grabs I see are SFW)

drjeff

World War Z - Don't see it unless you enjoy 1:45 of Brad Pitt trying to save the world from ravenous creatures who's name starts with a Z and ends with an S and rhymes with "Combi's" ;-)

Not even a scene that would be worthy of some extra "scrutiny" in slo mo when it comes out on Blu Ray! :-(

The last time I let my wife and sister inlaw pick a movie to drag me too! :lol:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

World War Z - Don't see it unless you enjoy 1:45 of Brad Pitt trying to save the world from ravenous creatures who's name starts with a Z and ends with an S and rhymes with "Combi's" ;-)

Not even a scene that would be worthy of some extra "scrutiny" in slo mo when it comes out on Blu Ray! :-(

The last time I let my wife and sister inlaw pick a movie to drag me too! :lol:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

I like to see his wife though.:)