• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What skis should I get my girlfriend (newbie) ?

bdfreetuna

Shes 5'7" and like 130lbs. She had 1 day on skis last year (a lesson and then a couple runs with me on the greens) and she seemed to pick it up pretty well.

I looked on Craigslist and I have a choice of 148cm Rossi Bandits or 160cm Rossi Axium STX (I think that's what it is).

Both skis look in good shape I'm wondering more about the length. I know the 148cm would ski easier off the bat but I'm not sure if it's a ski she can continue to use once she gains some skills.

Thanks and sorry if this is wrong forum.

Savemeasammy

My wife is 5', intermediate-ish. She has 148's. My vote would be for a 148 instead of a 160 at this early stage! (although I know nothing about the skis you mention here).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

I'm pretty sure she had 148s for her lesson day. I'm leaning short. She can always go longer in the future.

BenedictGomez

Two years ago around this time of year (I want to say it was mid smack middle of January) my gf got a GREAT deal at Sports Authority on a Salomon intermediate ski package. Very nice skis and bindings set majorly on sale. They (SA) did the same thing last year with the ski sales in mid-Jan, I think they aggressively try to clear ski inventory to make room for baseball and spring sports, etc....

The best part was she got the boots on clearance for $90 because they were the last pair and they wanted to get rid of them. Nothing fancy, a typical intermediate ski boot, but just a few weeks earlier they were $270.

At any rate, I'd suggest you do what I did and "push" her into more of an intermediate setup than beginner so she can grow into them, especially since as you say she's "picking it up quick". Had my gf bought a whippy/twisty beginner package just 2 seasons ago, she'd already need a new pair likely (my 2¢ anyway).

EDIT: She's 5 foot 6, 130lbs and on 152cm

Savemeasammy

Agree with BG. Get a ski a level up from where she's at now. She can "grow" into them as she gets better. She may also be able to demo some stuff to get a feel for what she is comfortable with (i.e. width, rocker, etc.). And, yes, the sales are coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x10003q

Do a seasonal rental until she gets a clue. If you rent short and she figures it out you can go back and get a longer ski.

bdfreetuna

Do a seasonal rental until she gets a clue. If you rent short and she figures it out you can go back and get a longer ski.

That was my plan but the season rental prices are like $200+ at least the shops I know around here.

I am getting Rossi Bandits with nice boots for $135 from this dude a few towns away. Going with the 148cm. The guy said I can always trade him back for longer next season if I want. I guess he traffics a lot of used skis.

JDMRoma

That was my plan but the season rental prices are like $200+ at least the shops I know around here.

I am getting Rossi Bandits with nice boots for $135 from this dude a few towns away. Going with the 148cm. The guy said I can always trade him back for longer next season if I want. I guess he traffics a lot of used skis.
This the guy in North Andover Mass ?