• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eastern Townships

thebigo

Currently booking our annual family ski vacation. Do not know much about the resorts in the Eastern Townships but wanted to investigate due to the exchange rate.

We are looking for decent skiing, a slope side hotel with kitchenettes in the room, a pool preferably heated outdoor, breakfast at the hotel and a few local restaurants. An experience similar to the grand at attitash or sr.

Anything in the eastern townships suitable?

VTKilarney

I'm fairly familiar with the Eastern Townships. I'm not aware of any slope-side hotel that has everything you are looking for. You'd have to go to Mont Tremblant for that. I'm not familiar with any year-round outdoor pool in the Townships, slope-side or not. One may exist, but I've never seen it.

The only true slope-side hotel in the Townships is at Owl's Head, and I wouldn't recommend it. I like Owl's Head, but their lodging leaves a lot to be desired.

My recommendation would be the Chateau Bromont. It's as close to being slope-side as you can get without actually being slope-side. If you absolutely must be slope-side, or if you need a kitchen, there are some very nice and modern condos that can be rented at Bromont - but then you won't have a pool.

If you stay at Bromont, you are also within very easy distance of Orford, Owl's Head, and Sutton. Orford and Owl's Head have some outrageously cheap deals on Liftopia for Midweek skiing. (under $20 USD)

Bromont is very close to Granby, which has a couple of very nice restaurants. One of my favorites is Attelier Archibald. Their website has an English menu on it. There are also some chain restaurants at the outlet center in Bromont.

Bromont's one weakness is the vertical drop. It's about 1,300 feet. If you are looking for more vertical, go with Orford at just under 2,000. But you won't find any slope-side lodging at Orford.

If you are looking to ski off piste, Sutton is probably your best bet.

Be aware that Quebec schools are on vacation during the first week of March. It's very crowded that time of year. On the other hand, the Eastern Townships are not at all crowded during school vacation week in the United States.

You need to understand, though, that the Eastern Townships get a lot of day traffic from Montreal, primarily on weekends. This is why the Townships don't have as much hotel/resort infrastructure as northern New England. If you want the true resort experience in Quebec, you really need to consider Tremblant. Having said that, I have always felt that the Eastern Townships is the most underrated ski destination in our region.

Last edited:

dlague

Owls Head is my favorite. We have stayed at their apartments which is slope side and not that expensive. It is a little out dated but then again that was about 6-7 years ago. Now days we often stay at Jay Peak and Owls Head and Mount Sutton are a short drive away. Owls head has some really fun glades then again Mount Sutton and Orford do too. Orford has about the same vert as Owls Head but Orford is larger. The trails at Orford are more narrow as compared to Owls Head where there are several wider trails. Now Mount Suttons trails are close together and they are broken up into pods of varying difficulty The lowest pod provides blues and greens with wider open glades where and the middle and upper pods are more difficult but there are runs that are available that are int to adv. If you are limited to the lower pod in terms of skiing then Sutton probably is not the place to go. It has the slightly less vert than Orford or Owls Head but similar to Orford in acreage.

Lastly - Bromont IMO is the best. I have only skied there at night and it is awesome at night. Tons of terrain can be skied at night, in fact more night skiing acres than Owls Head total acres during the day. It is nearly double the size of Orford or Sutton and three times the size of Owls Head. Yet of all four it has the least vert. Lastly, it is a ways up into Quebec.

As far as lodging I do not recal any lodging slope side that has a pool indoor or out. Orford is close to Sherbrooke and Magog for things to do at night. Owls Head and Suttonare remote and to get to Sherbrooke or Magog you have to drive around Lake Memphremagog which takes some time but doable. However, you can drive to Jay Peak to use their Waterpark, skating rink etc. - not that far.

Bromont is relatively remote about 30-40 miles from Sherbrooke but does have Granby near by not that that gives you a whole lot.

Finally, Sutton has more of a Int - Exp vibe. Owls head and Bromont feel more family oriented. Orford leans more Int - Exp as well.

easterntownships.jpg

dlague

I'm fairly familiar with the Eastern Townships. I'm not aware of any slope-side hotel that has everything you are looking for. You'd have to go to Mont Tremblant for that. I'm not familiar with any year-round outdoor pool in the Townships, slope-side or not. One may exist, but I've never seen it.

The only true slope-side hotel in the Townships is at Owl's Head, and I wouldn't recommend it. I like Owl's Head, but their lodging leaves a lot to be desired.

My recommendation would be the Chateau Bromont. It's as close to being slope-side as you can get without actually being slope-side. If you absolutely must be slope-side, or if you need a kitchen, there are some very nice and modern condos that can be rented at Bromont - but then you won't have a pool.

If you stay at Bromont, you are also within very easy distance of Orford, Owl's Head, and Sutton. Orford and Owl's Head have some outrageously cheap deals on Liftopia for Midweek skiing. (under $20 USD)

Bromont is very close to Granby, which has a couple of very nice restaurants. One of my favorites is Attelier Archibald. Their website has an English menu on it. There are also some chain restaurants at the outlet center in Bromont.

Bromont's one weakness is the vertical drop. It's about 1,300 feet. If you are looking for more vertical, go with Orford at just under 2,000. But you won't find any slope-side lodging at Orford.

If you are looking to ski off piste, Sutton is probably your best bet.

Be aware that Quebec schools are on vacation during the first week of March. It's very crowded that time of year. On the other hand, the Eastern Townships are not at all crowded during school vacation week in the United States.

You need to understand, though, that the Eastern Townships get a lot of day traffic from Montreal, primarily on weekends. This is why the Townships don't have as much hotel/resort infrastructure as northern New England. If you want the true resort experience in Quebec, you really need to consider Tremblant. Having said that, I have always felt that the Eastern Townships is the most underrated ski destination in our region.

Nice summary. Sherbrooke is near by as well which also send much traffic that way as well. If you need a day away from the slopes, a day trip to Montreal from Bromont would be easy too.

VTKilarney

Bromont is relatively remote about 30-40 miles from Sherbrooke but does have Granby near by not that that gives you a whole lot.

This is the only thing that I disagree with. Bromont is right on the divided highway, and it's got restaurants and outlets in town. Granby is just about 10-15 minutes away. Granby has a mall, grocery stores, and whatever else you may need. True, Bromont is not near Sherbrooke, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to go to Sherbrooke. Sherbrooke and Granby aren't a whole lot different. They are places to get provisions, but neither are attractions in their own right. (Although in the summer Granby is a bicycling mecca.)

Bromont is also the closest to Montreal, which is a place that a tourist would actually want to visit.

I've always felt that Magog was overrated, at least in the winter. It's fine if you are skiing at Orford, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see Magog.

dlague

This is the only thing that I disagree with. Bromont is right on the divided highway, and it's got restaurants and outlets in town. Granby is just about 10-15 minutes away. Granby has a mall, grocery stores, and whatever else you may need. True, Bromont is not near Sherbrooke, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to go to Sherbrooke. Sherbrooke and Granby aren't a whole lot different. They are places to get provisions, but neither are attractions in their own right. (Although in the summer Granby is a bicycling mecca.)

Bromont is also the closest to Montreal, which is a place that a tourist would actually want to visit.

I've always felt that Magog was overrated, at least in the winter. It's fine if you are skiing at Orford, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see Magog.

And Granby during the summer has the ZOO! I lived in Derby Line most of my life and I think Sherbrooke has lots to offer - more than Granby. I will give that Granby does have some restaurants, stores etc. Sherbrooke is about ten miles closer than Montreal but as I said in an earlier post Montreal is not that far and has lots to offer especially if staying in Bromont.

Women love Magog for guys meh! However, I do have to entertain my wife too. We known of many restaurant in Magog that we like as well as in Sherbrooke.

VTKilarney

I didn't know that you used to live in Derby Line. I really love that area. If you ever get back up that way, you need to have dinner at the Derby Village Inn. The chef-owner is from Austria.

I guess it boils down to what you know. I frequent Granby much more than Sherbrooke because of bicycling in the summer. Neither town, however, is compelling as a winter tourist destination. They are places to grab a meal, some groceries, and whatever other supplies you need. But there aren't really any winter attractions to speak of. Sherbrooke has some REALLY good restaurants, though.

Oh, and one other piece of advice: Fill up your gas tank just prior to entering Canada!

skiberg

Bromont has ski in-ski out lodging. Mostly Condo's though.

VTKilarney

Bromont has ski in-ski out lodging. Mostly Condo's though.

All condos. But there are plenty to choose from.

Owl's Head has some really nice looking private homes that are slope-side. I'm sure some of them must be rented out.

Abominable

Glad you brought up this thread. This is on my radar for this year as well. There's been some good discussion on this in the past if you search, and a nice trip report on Harvey's site:

http://nyskiblog.com/magazine/#nabble-td1464959

I'd like to take a week and do the whole enchilada (crepe?) - Montreal, Quebec City, le Massif and a couple days in the eastern township mountains.. those would be my must sees.

Are Tremblant or Mt. St. Anne worth the hike? Maybe a couple mid-week nights in Tremblant because of the scene?

thebigo

Thanks for the information. Chateau Bromont looks like an option, the indoor pool and shuttle bus will work. Definitely affordable. The Granby Zoo and outlet mall should help convince the wife and daughter. What kid wouldn't want to ride a camel?

How is the food at the hotel? Cost adder to add breakfast and dinner is minimal.

Los

Sorry to bump this, but it's gotten me excited about planning an eastern township ski trip during my two oldest kids' february break.

Last edited: