• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Whales" or "wales"?

Whitey

I believe the term is supposed to be "wales" to describe the snow making ridges and bumps on many trails (esp this year). But many people call them "whales". I get that because sometimes they do look like the arching back of a whale raising above the surface of the water and that's why some people call them "whales".

But I believe the term comes from the definition of "wale" (see below) and that spelling/usage is correct. Anyone disagree?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Wale.jpg
    Wale.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 440

Edd

I believe the term is supposed to be "wales" to describe the snow making ridges and bumps on many trails (esp this year). But many people call them "whales". I get that because sometimes they do look like the arching back of a whale raising above the surface of the water and that's why some people call them "whales".

But I believe the term comes from the definition of "wale" (see below) and that spelling/usage is correct. Anyone disagree?

attachment.php

Challenge! I'm going to disagree based on nothing but my gut. "Whales" just seems correct. I was unaware of the definitions you posted but it doesn't sound right.

skiur

If you google snowmaking wales, you only get a few results abouts making snow in Wales Australia. If you google snowmaking whales you get results about large mounds of man made snow.

Robbski

Weal is the more traditional spelling for a welt. That aside, a "wale" on skin or cloth, bears little resemblance to the huge shapes most of us refer to as whales on the slopes.

Whitey

If you google snowmaking wales, you only get a few results abouts making snow in Wales Australia. If you google snowmaking whales you get results about large mounds of man made snow.

Well, you got me. You gotta believe that the internet is 100% accurate.

Part of the point of starting this thread was my belief that "whales" has become common usage but that is incorrect on a linguistic level. Kind of like when people say "irregardless". . .

Whitey

Weal is the more traditional spelling for a welt. That aside, a "wale" on skin or cloth, bears little resemblance to the huge shapes most of us refer to as whales on the slopes.

I would suggest that the application of the term in a nautical reference and/or the pattern of a textile material is the one that was the origin of the term as applied to snowmaking.

Robbski

I would suggest that the application of the term in a nautical reference and/or the pattern of a textile material is the one that was the origin of the term as applied to snowmaking.

It seems to me that the wales in corduroy and on a vessel are far to regular and lack the depth of the objects of which we are examining (Channeling Monty Python:spin:).

Edd

"Whales" or "wales"?

I sense that you want this to be true. If you're emotionally attached to the outcome, maybe prepare for disappointment. 😬

Edit: My wife agrees with you, but I disagree with her all the time.

Last edited:

Jully

Well, you got me. You gotta believe that the internet is 100% accurate.

Part of the point of starting this thread was my belief that "whales" has become common usage but that is incorrect on a linguistic level. Kind of like when people say "irregardless". . .

Internet is not going to be 100% accurate, however, if the other term was technically correct then you would find examples of people using it on Google. Since you do not, I view that as pretty strong evidence that wales has never been the correct term.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've always called them "whales" because of their shape. That's what I've always heard as well.

darent

when we ski the big mountain here on Nantucket {Alter Rock} we refer to them as Whales, we ski from one Humpback to another!!

freeski

Hmm...This is a tough one. It reminds me of another question. Does anyone know how the season of Fall got it's name? Never been able to figure that out. Of course it's "whale". :uzi:

Whitey

Never ask if someone disagrees lol people will always find a reason or else we would not be here.

There probably won't be anyone who can say definitively either way. We would need to find someone who is A) old enough to have been around when snowmaking first started getting going, B) worked in snowmaking, and C) is a linguist. So if any one knows any geriatric mountain ops workers who have a masters in language - can you ask them to post in this thread?

Just to be a contrarian, I will be writing it as "wales" in any threads that I post in.