• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

freeski

I was poking around on the Cannon website trying to find something new. Noticed under stats, the longest run is 2.3 miles. What route is that? It's not over the saddle is it?

skiberg

You blame FSC for buying a new compressor and improving snowmaking capacity for the whole mountain? You can't be serious.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sounds to me like he blames FSC for ruining Mittersill. I tend to agree. I regret ever voicing support of the Mittersill chair.

The overall Cannon experience was better when Mittersill was NELSAP. The snowmaking improvements on the main mountain have not been a fair trade because those improvements still aren't all that great.

Ultimately though, it sounds like you and many of FSC have a real sense of entitlement. Cannon is a public resource; a private club should not have a major influence on how it operates. It would be different if it were a private ski area.

skiberg

With the new snowmaking on Barons I think the mountain as a whole skis a lot better. It's really nice be able to ski back and forth between Mitt. and main mountain even in a bad snow year. The expansiveness of the mountain is obviously improved. The day went by faster and it was nice not to ski the quad over and over.
It seemed like the lines were a little better and people spread out a little more as well.
Not sure I'm as crazy about the new Barons though. It's a good run, but I miss the old mogul trail, even if it was only skiable a few dozen days per year. I guess if we had snow like last year, every year, the new trail would suck. Unfortunately snow is just too fickle in NH.

skiberg

What does FSC think its entitled to? They donated three million dollars in equipment to a public resource? FSC doesn't ask for much of anything in return. They got no guarantees at all. I don't see anyone else doing this. Hell they have invested more in the mountain than the State. My point is that Cannon is not like other mountains. It's always been a racers mountain, built for racers and by racers. If you can't stand racers you really are at the wrong hill. The racers were at Cannon long, long before any of us. We chose to make our home hill a racers mountain.

Smellytele

To me it isn't what has been done a mittersill but in how the influence of FSC directs the publicly owned ski area. From where the snow making is done to the uncontrolled early season use of any open territory and lodge space. Also the uncontrolled/supervised racers themselves.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's a state park first and foremost. FSC presence and history doesn't change that.

I have not skied Barons with snowmaking, but can say the widening and flattening I skied last winter absolutely ruined the trail compared to what it once was.

You want wide groomers with snowmaking? Go to Loon.

Cannonball

To me it isn't what has been done a mittersill but in how the influence of FSC directs the publicly owned ski area. From where the snow making is done to the uncontrolled early season use of any open territory and lodge space. Also the uncontrolled/supervised racers themselves.
^This

Ultimately though, it sounds like you and many of FSC have a real sense of entitlement. Cannon is a public resource; a private club should not have a major influence on how it operates. It would be different if it were a private ski area.
^And this

You blame FSC for buying a new compressor and improving snowmaking capacity for the whole mountain? You can't be serious.
It's not the "improved" snowmaking (if you can seriously call it that). It's the redirection of resources to suit FSC's wants and needs. Great, you put up a bunch of money to buy equipment that serves your own interest. Yes, it's possible that the public might get some benefit from that. But mostly it means that Cannon is redirecting their labor and approach in order use your equipment on the terrain that serves mostly you. I don't recall asking for that. Did FSC put up a budget for a snowmaking crew? No. So Cannon's snowmaking crew is now over at Mittersill making snow on a trail that will end up being closed for FSC's private use, instead of focusing on opening more terrain on the main mountain for the general public.

I'm sure that FSC's contributions to the bottom line of Cannon are not insignificant. But for the experience of the average passholder or day-ticket buyer, FSC takes more than it gives.

MEtoVTSkier

It would have made more sense to have a completely separate snowmaking plant for Mittersill that could be run simultaneously with Cannons, so that resources for Cannon aren't being reduced, with a set amount funded by Cannon proper, and the rest needed for race/training facilities funded by that group. You want more snow? Knock yourselves out.

It was SUPPOSED to be a limited lift-served "back country experience"