• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

    You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Next week?

abc

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
5,878
Points
113
Location
Lower Hudson Valley
I wish my spring break was this week. Sadly, that wasn’t the case. So I didn’t luck out with the powder from this storm. Well, such is life…

Reading all the glorious reports of one of the better week of the season, I was hoping it’ll last for more than just a week. With the amount of snow fallen, I figured coverage won’t be too much a concern. And I may even be able to venture into the woods. Unfortunately, this doesn’t appear to last.

While there’s still sufficient snow, the condition doesn’t look to be very enticing come Monday… Especially given the warm temperature the last couple days and multiple rain event starting today, then the cooling down beginning next week.

When I originally plan on skiing next week, I had in mind of corn on the cob (I mean, corn snow on groomers), and soft bumps under the sun. But instead, many southern mountains are closing. Temperature in the northern half of Vermont are barely above the freezing mark and cloudy at the start of the week. So, little chance of corn harvest then? Moreover, following the rain/mix today and another bout of r*/mix scheduled for Sunday, It looks more like refrozen boilerplate on groomer and icy bumps instead? Am I being too pessimistic?

I know the forecast could be wrong and the forecasted rain MAY end up falling as snow. But if it doesn’t, what sort of condition will I be looking at?
 
Last edited:

letitsnow1

Active member
Joined
Jan 14, 2024
Messages
145
Points
28
Just go ski you will never know if you don't go. There have been many days I thought were going to suck and they turned out great. Bolton valley is expecting snow, and they have cheap mid week tickets
 

Vter

Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2022
Messages
86
Points
18
ABC’s concerns are legit and I only speak of Stowe. Plenty of snow on trails & some woods. The weather pattern ? Ya, I’d play banker’s hours, 10 to 2. Wind-holds should also be taken into account. I’m work’n it, but sure as shit, damp or not, it will be Fun, I’d run it all next week if sunny bluebird corn days don’t dictate your plans.
You may see some wet freshies. Some reports say 4-8 Sunday, I say 2-6” wet wet, perfect for our Groomer Folks to make magic.
 

crippity

Active member
Joined
Feb 10, 2019
Messages
115
Points
28
what are you options? what are you hedging against? If this is your only time then just go and hope for best.
 

crippity

Active member
Joined
Feb 10, 2019
Messages
115
Points
28
saddleback is 100 percent open, not getting above freezing and snow on off next week. Have you seen KS pics of stowe today? everyting north is more than fine, just go
 

abc

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
5,878
Points
113
Location
Lower Hudson Valley
what are you options? what are you hedging against? If this is your only time then just go and hope for best.
Well, it’s my only time to go this season. But I don’t want to go only to have a miserable time and wish I stayed home.

(I‘ve been working in the day and taking classes at night for the last 2 months. I was looking forward for some diversion from that, a bit of sun and some physical activity. The last thing I need is a stressful time on boilerplate ice and boring groomers while paying good money for both lodging and lift tickets. That would hardly put me back in class with a positive mindset)

Between lodging and lift tickets (https://forums.alpinezone.com/threads/sub-50-lift-ticket-possible.144612/), I’ll be spending upward of $500(-!700) for the week. It will also burn 5 of my annual vacation. Plus the time I could use for other things I don’t have time to do instead. If I stay home, I save on those too. (Because I’m working AND taking classes, I’m very much time starved)

I also consider the option of going only for 2-3 days instead of all 5. Then I can say I’ve skied this season. But it’s not clear there’s a clear window that would give me any decent chance of enjoyable time ;)
 

crippity

Active member
Joined
Feb 10, 2019
Messages
115
Points
28
sounds like you need the break. Where are you coming from? bolton is slated to get some sunday and more monday into tuesday. mondays lifts are 40 tuesday on 60. night skiing starts back up tuesday. Ski there tuesday and wednesday and mt ellen for 49 on thursday and go home. you will be happy either way trust me. stay outside of burlington for under a 100 one night, stay at hostel tevere for 50 next night. There: 150 lodging. 180 lift tickets. 2 days bolton, 1 mt ellen. sounds like a plan to me. also bolton will alternate lifts from tuesday to wednesday most likely so you will get different terrain.
 

crippity

Active member
Joined
Feb 10, 2019
Messages
115
Points
28
Bolton has three summit lifts. Wilderness, Vista, Timberline. Vista always runs and is the night skiing as well. Wilderness is usually wed-sunday and timberline is usually friday-tuesday. Timberline is lower elevation. If you wanted to save some cash you could do tuesday night skiing starting at 4 stays light till 7 for 25 bucks off vista and all wilderness/vista wednesday/ mt ellen thursday. Lifts are slow, vibe is fantastic. Side country all over. open snow has them getting 4 inches monday into tuesday, not sure what else you need to know. We all love sunny and warm at this time of year, not getting it next week. Season was basically almost over until this storm saved things up north, go enjoy it while its still midwinter conditions
 

crippity

Active member
Joined
Feb 10, 2019
Messages
115
Points
28
You can stay anchorage inn south burlington (no idea just looked for cheapest place hotels .com) for 80 bucks. 30 min to bv. cheep food all around 25 for Tuesday night skiing, 60 Wednesday, 49 Thursday. 50 hostel tevere, just got you 3days skiing two nights lodging for 270. I'm glad im procrastinating my jobs to do this research, just go. ha
 

MidnightJester

Active member
Joined
Oct 7, 2011
Messages
913
Points
43
Have you decided or locked in which mountain lift tickets or where you want to go fully? I might be able to help you on the lift ticket side to VT mountains depending on how many days you fully ride? Allowing you to grab the better conditions at a few of the better Larger mountains. You were looking for lower cost lift tickets and this could work out for you at $50 a day. https://forums.alpinezone.com/threads/sub-50-lift-ticket-possible.144612/ Best open mountains and possible snow conditions available to you this way.

Have (4 lift ticket) pass book $200 good to all the Vermont mountains. OKEMO, STRATTON, STOWE, KILLINGTON, SUGARBUSH, SMUGGLERS, JAYPEAK you name it. comes out to $50 a day if you use all 4. little more if you use 3 or 2. Have to do a different mountain each day. Unused tickets are good till spring closing for any open VT mountains. Weekends incuded.
 
Last edited:

Bumpsis

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
1,090
Points
48
Location
Boston, MA
following the rain/mix today and another bout of r*/mix scheduled for Sunday, It looks more like refrozen boilerplate on groomer and icy bumps instead? Am I being too pessimistic?

I know the forecast could be wrong and the forecasted rain MAY end up falling as snow. But if it doesn’t, what sort of condition will I be looking at?
Legit concerns here from abc. I was also looking at possibly getting a couple of days at Stratton this week, but the temperature profiles look like the surfaces won't soften up, much less corn up - refrozen boiler plate. Grooming crews may scratch up the frozen stuff just enough so it will be good for a couple of hours. Nahh, I'll pass
 

MidnightJester

Active member
Joined
Oct 7, 2011
Messages
913
Points
43
Looking at weather patterns everything till the weekend should be decent or better. Mostly open terrain across the larger mountains and Haven't heard much about boilerplate at the moment. Everyone pulling those last few inches the last few days defiantly aren't anywhere near boilerplate not even icy up north for sure. Middle of Vermont and north the next few days should be able to pull more then a few inches. More towards 6"-12" depending on the lucky mountains by Wednesday/Thursday. Weekend is up in the air but should be fine.
 
Last edited:
Top