• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Florida Skier Gets $800k [Default] Judgment Against Snowmass Snowboarder

abc

No, he doesn't have the money to hire a lawyer to defend himself.

Even if he's at fault, him being poor means he doesn't have the means to even negotiate for a lessor amount.

Shortsighted for sure. But I won't go so far for the lazy part.

VTKilarney

Talk to me when somebody actually collects on this judgment. I have a feeling that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No, he doesn't have the money to hire a lawyer to defend himself.

Even if he's at fault, him being poor means he doesn't have the means to even negotiate for a lessor amount.

Shortsighted for sure. But I won't go so far for the lazy part.

It's a civil case. If he couldn't afford an attorney, couldn't he at least try to represent himself?

That's why I say lazy. It sounds like he just put his head in the sand and figured this would go away.

HowieT2

Clearly he had no money (hence can't afford the defense).

But what happens if he wins the lottery a year later? He might have to hand over the money? Any lawyers here?

(or his parents died and left him the old dilapidated family house in the flat land which happens to sit in a highly desirable location and worth a big chunk of money?)

yes with the caveat that he can file for bankruptcy and get the debt discharged.

HowieT2

It's a civil case. If he couldn't afford an attorney, couldn't he at least try to represent himself?

That's why I say lazy. It sounds like he just put his head in the sand and figured this would go away.

yes. all he would have had to do is file an answer denying the allegations in the complaint. one paragraph.

VTKilarney

yes. all he would have had to do is file an answer denying the allegations in the complaint. one paragraph.
Well... that really doesn't conform to the rules of pleading. But even if it did, all it would do would delay the inevitable. I stand by my comment that if he was up against an attorney the result would have been the same.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well... that really doesn't conform to the rules of pleading. But even if it did, all it would do would delay the inevitable. I stand by my comment that if he was up against an attorney the result would have been the same.

Right, but you must admit that the courts give a lot of leeway to pro se parties.

HowieT2

here in ny that would be more than sufficient to avoid a default and allow the defendant to contest liability

deadheadskier

Staff member
You don't know what the results would be unless you try. Who knows, maybe if the judge sees him contrite and listens to his point of view about the woman stopping in a poor location, then maybe the judgment gets reduced.

I just know if it were me, I'm trying to fight it. I'm not ignoring the case and hoping it goes away.

abc

I just know if it were me, I'm trying to fight it. I'm not ignoring the case and hoping it goes away.
Sounds like that's what he was hoping, from the report. He just didn't think the victim would go all the way. He was probably thinking they wouldn't pursue it seeing he had no money.

yes with the caveat that he can file for bankruptcy and get the debt discharged.
Or maybe he figure he has a way out in the worst case anyway. So why bother?