• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Radar Detectors

Smellytele

How well does the Waze app interface with Bluetooth in most cars?

The issue now is the hands-free laws. Probably get a heavier fine for using a cellphone than a radar detector these days.

You never have to touch your phone once it is on and it just comes out across the bluetooth like any phone call would. I have a separate blue tooth device not integrated stock in-car.

Funky_Catskills

Waze is only as good as the people inputing data...

I use all my tools...Waze - Radar detector and GPS..
Waze and RADAR detector saved me this morning on 84...
And then RADAR Detector saved me on local streets - i was doing like 20 over on High ridge Road..

Edd

Seems like folks use Waze on their daily commutes but I feel like you'd have to have unlimited data. I get by on 2 GB/month. Don't think I can use Waze with that.

SIKSKIER

Waze can be incredibly distracting to those that dont know how to drive without using their smarthphone.It certainly does zero good if police car has just setup and nobody has chimed in yet.And in many roads in ski country cell service can be spotty which means no data.A detector is more consistently reliable and virtually distraction free.Thats how I see it.

Cannonball

This thread is an eye opener!! I haven't seen, or heard of, a radar detector since the 80's. I had no idea they even still existed never mind people using them. Wow, who knew! Are CBs still a thing too?

Funky_Catskills

Waze has voice control... It's cool...

CBs are still a thing too.. I'm thinking of getting one actually.. Truckers got it all down...
Breaker 19..

Funky_Catskills

They are quite fun. And more reliable than a radar detector when trying to figure out where the smokey is.

Radar detectors - CB radios - Smart Phones all work to help us not get tickets.. That's a fact...

funny how the op is asking for info and the people that don't use the devices are just trying to sound so cool because they don't use the devices... Kind of par for the course here(see manual transmission threads)... Surrounded by people that are just so cool... wow.. hahahahaa...

Cannonball

Radar detectors - CB radios - Smart Phones all work to help us not get tickets.. That's a fact...

funny how the op is asking for info and the people that don't use the devices are just trying to sound so cool because they don't use the devices... Kind of par for the course here(see manual transmission threads)... Surrounded by people that are just so cool... wow.. hahahahaa...

I don't feel cool for not using one, I just don't speed. Non issue for me. I guess that's why I didn't know they were still a thing.

I got pulled over last summer for speeding. I told the cop "It wasn't me. I was driving the right lane. Your radar must have picked up a different car." Cop said "Oh. Really. Sorry. Have a nice day."

BenedictGomez

Radar detectors...lol...what is it 1993 ?

I'm really surprised to hear this is a perception. I can assure you they still save your azz quite effectively in 2016, as they did in 1993.

Waze is all you need anytime, anywhere.

Tried Waze for the first time on the way back from Florida last month. I found Waze to be decent for traffic (not as good as GOOG though), and terrible as an anti police method.

Often the cops weren't even on Waze because nobody entered them, so my radar detector went off, but nothing from Waze. But even worse was that I found that the GPS signal on Waze often slightly lagged the cops actual position, and it does no good if Waze alerts you to a police officer you just passed 100 yards back.

VTKilarney

I'm really surprised to hear this is a perception. I can assure you they still save your azz quite effectively in 2016, as they did in 1993.
Are they actually effective against LIDAR? I see all sorts of claims both ways, but can't find an actual study.