• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru Recall

Tin

After 17 pages of fun in the Tuna thread, my GF received a letter last night from Subaru.

Recall on 05-08 Legacy and Outbacks due to the passenger side air bag inflator rupturing and sending metal pieces out (AKA shrapnel). However, there is a part shortage so do not let anyone ride in the passenger seat until fixed.

I know these cars are popular on here and this is a potentially deadly issue. Don't mess around with it.

Last edited:
i entered the land of diminishing returns on my 2009 outback at about 100k...first, at 108k the trans completely shit the bed, on the NJ turnpike, car packed for skiing, family in tow...
then, of course, the head gasket need replacement at 130k...
3 control arms, a strut, 2 wheel bearings...

mind you, i did all recommended service, put about 15-20k per year on the car commuting and skiing

i was a subaru owner for quite some time, 2 previous to this one...no more...the quality of product was severely diminished on this vehicle, in my view

I had a 2011 Outback that was great! I now have a 2015 Legacy 3.6R that is also great. Did not need 2 SUVS since Wife wanted a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I think the quality of the new ones is better. IMHO.

my subaru was great too for the first 5 years, but once to odometer rolled 100k it was not so great

for a brand that touts reliability, i was less than whelmed

SkiingInABlueDream

Holy shit. I have an '04'WRX. Currently ~170k miles on the clock. It's run like a watch since day one. And that includes a "stage 2" exhaust & ecu mod around year 2. There are lots of things I've come to dislike about the car but reliability isn't one, for me at least. .

mlctvt

I see a huge reliability difference between the Japanese built cars like Skifastrs WRX and the US built cars like the Outbacks Foresters, Legacys.

thetrailboss

Staff member
After 17 pages of fun in the Tuna thread, my GF received a letter last night from Subaru.

Recall on 05-08 Legacy and Outbacks due to the passenger side air bag inflator rupturing and sending metal pieces out (AKA shrapnel). However, there is a part shortage so do not let anyone ride in the passenger seat until fixed.

I know these cars are popular on here and this is a potentially deadly issue. Don't mess around with it.

Got the same notice for my Honda Civic. Laughable that they direct you to NOT have anyone ride in the front passenger seat.

WWF-VT

my subaru was great too for the first 5 years, but once to odometer rolled 100k it was not so great

for a brand that touts reliability, i was less than whelmed

+ 1 I still can't believe they can build a car where there's such a high percentage likelihood that you'll be replacing the head gasket. Looking at a new vehicle to replace a 2007 Outback with 140K miles and Subaru is not even on the list of options to buy.

Edd

As far as I can tell from researching it, the Foresters are currently build in Japan.

That's my understanding as well. When I had an '02 Legacy, I felt good about it being built in Indiana. Later, when I replaced it with a '10 Forester, I'd assumed it was made in the same place. When I learned a couple of years later that it was built in Japan I was bummed.

Maybe I should be relieved. You guys are worrying me because I'm at 94K right now with no real issues. I was hoping to push it to 200K.

Jully

And do not forget the oil burning issue, which there is a class action law suit on............

Oh yeah, that's company malfeasance and all, but what's that have to do with what country the cars were produced in? I'm not that familiar with the case so I might just not know.