• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf-employee-dies-after-sliding-down-mogul course

BenedictGomez

I heard about this. Very sketchy.

Does seem weird. Either a 1 in a million terrible head injury or something unrelated like an aneurysm I'd imagine. It can happen though. My mother's doctor slipped on something in his kitchen and hit his head on the floor and never regained consciousness, and he was an amateur triathlete (i.e. in great shape). RIP, way too young.

Mapnut

Condolences were also expressed on the Squaw Mountain Facebook page, where Alex Witt had also worked mowing the trails.

dlague

Sad to hear. I wonder if it was icy? That is the scariest thing - working the trails in boots when the trails are glazed.

bigbog

Not the way to descend rather steep-pitched stuff.....+ no helmet..with the conditions....not wise, not to mention time since his last tune.

Last edited:

zoomzoom

the comments here: "sketchy", "weird", "not wise"?

how heartless and crude you are, not impressed.

BenedictGomez

the comments here: "sketchy", "weird", "not wise"?

how heartless and crude you are, not impressed.

I'm not impressed with the recent pervasive culture of overtly obvious displays of self-righteousness intended to make one-self feel like a good person, when in reality they merely come off as jerks intentionally misconstruing other's comments for their own short-term, self-esteem boost.

dlague

I'm not impressed with the recent pervasive culture of overtly obvious displays of self-righteousness intended to make one-self feel like a good person, when in reality they merely come off as jerks intentionally misconstruing other's comments for their own short-term, self-esteem boost.
+1000

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

ahon6

So sad. So young. So much life ahead for him. That is a challenging trail, to say the least. It surprises me that helmet use would not be mandatory for employees, especially doing trail prep, if, in fact, it was a head injury that caused his death. There also is anti-skid work clothing available.
Condolences to his family and his co-workers.

skiNEwhere

Conditions at Sugarbush were extremely challenging on Sunday. I went on Bravo, and the moguls were solid ice. There was wind blown snow in the troughs, which was slabby and covered up the rocks. It may have only been a 1'x1'x2" slab that moved 3 inches but it was a slab nonetheless. Easily the most challenging conditions I've been on in the last 5 years. Had to slowly make my way out of there. If anyone could ski that, my hats goes off to them.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sugarloaf had the same conditions caused by the thaw then the deep freeze.

Whitey

Wow, BG with a flying elbow off of the top rope. . .

Top rope.jpg

dlague

Conditions at Sugarbush were extremely challenging on Sunday. I went on Bravo, and the moguls were solid ice. There was wind blown snow in the troughs, which was slabby and covered up the rocks. It may have only been a 1'x1'x2" slab that moved 3 inches but it was a slab nonetheless. Easily the most challenging conditions I've been on in the last 5 years. Had to slowly make my way out of there. If anyone could ski that, my hats goes off to them.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sugarloaf had the same conditions caused by the thaw then the deep freeze.

You are back east right now?