• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Westborough Country Club, 3/9/13

KD7000

March 9, 2013
Westborough (MA) Country Club
Packed powder, heavy wet snow

Well, I would have liked to put a trip report here for some big NH mountain that was on my list for today, but a sick spouse meant I was home with both kids.

Since the younger one doesn't really have a lot of skiing ambition, we made it a sledding day. Took the kids over to the Westborough Country Club, right on Rte 30 a few miles west of the town center.

This golf course has some really nice hills, and is a sledding/snowshoeing/ xc skiing madhouse when the conditions are good. The kids had a great time and of course dad brought his "sled" along as well.:wink:
first line Westboro CC.jpgfresh tracks Westboro CC.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Damn does this bring back memories.

I grew up in Westborough and lived there until I was 14. I sledded at Westborough Country Club countless times as a kid. That pitch on the 7th hole looks so benign now, but as a toddler it was STEEP. The old ski hill behind the High School was a good place to sled as well. I was probably one of the last people to use the rope tow when the ski area was still in operation. http://www.nelsap.org/ma/westboro.html

KD7000

Glad to have brought back some memories. The pitch on that hill is absolutely perfect for sledding- right amount of steepness combined with a great runout. It's a bit shallow for skiing or boarding with that much snow- better when it's packed down more or drier.

One thing about New England- even if a zillion ski areas have closed, nearly all the sledding hills that we went to as kids are seemingly as popular as ever.

And though I missed out on an awesome ski day, it was a great time with the kids and I earned a few (slow but deep) turns.

NotEasyBeingGreen

Hey - thanks for the info on the old ski area, Deadheadskier. I had no idea - love learning new things about the town. I've seen cross country skiiers out in the Tufts field, too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hey - thanks for the info on the old ski area, Deadheadskier. I had no idea - love learning new things about the town. I've seen cross country skiiers out in the Tufts field, too.

I grew up on Glen Street and we used to throw the football around or play whiffle ball in Tuft's field. :lol: Drove my mom crazy because there used to be a State Mental Hospital where Tufts is and even ten years after it closed, former residents would occasionally turn up trying to get back in. My first job was picking Strawberries at Nourse Farm. I used to rake in 25 cents a quart. If I really hustled, I could bring in $5 in an afternoon after school. :lol: