• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic 4-6-13

emmaurice2

Ski Area: Magic Mountain, VT

Date: April 6, 2013

Conditions: Firm in the morning, Spring in the afternoon

Drove up Friday night to White River to see The Fixx at Tupelo Music Hall (which was awesome) and planned to take advantage of the $19.37 ticket at Pico on Saturday. Woke up Saturday morning and read the weather report...temps weren't supposed to go above the high 20s. Southern mountain temps were predicted to climb into the high 30s. I really wanted spring skiing so drove south.

Got to Magic late morning. Took one run on the east side and two on the west. The east side was really firm, but edgeable, except Mystery which was wall to wall death-cookie. Ventured over to Wizard, which was actually starting to soften up before noon, except on the two steeper sections which were really scratchy. Talisman was the run of the day, nice snow in the morning and afternoon. Went in for lunch, hoping the sun would start softening up the snow. Headed back out for 5 more runs, mostly on the west side.

It was costume day, burgers and beer on the deck, no crowds and good skiing under a cloudless sky. It was a great way to end my season (unless Killington stays upon late into May...otherwise my weekends are booked).

Didn't take a lot of pics, but here's what I got.

magic ticket.jpg

High-Tech Ticket

red chair.jpg
Lots of snow on the ground

red line.jpg
Red line

top tali.jpg

Last run on Talisman

Savemeasammy

How was the wind? I was at Wildcat, and it was blowing hard (northwest exposure!).

Warp Daddy

hey its a good finish!! Nice day , sunny, brewskis n burghers on the deck , no injuries , prettygood season for ya , all in all not bad !

xwhaler

no crowds

Magic mentioned that they would determine whether to open next wknd based on Saturday 4/6 turnout. Based on your report of no crowds I guess the decision was made easy for them. I'm sure they would have loved to have lines at Red and then announce to lots of folks in the bar they would spin lifts next wknd but such is life this time of yr.
Glad you got out there for 1 final day...with the continued improvements Magic should do even better things next year. The snowmaking trails like Talisman looked like they could sustain a warm up and go another wknd or 2 T2B.

MadMadWorld

I was there on Saturday too. A little bit annoyed by the snow report. The trail count was a complete lie. I didn't expect the natural terrain to be in great shape but based on the report, they claimed everything was open except Black Line. I guess technically everything was open from 9AM-10AM while patrol did sweeps. They quickly shut just about everything down (rightfully so) but it was still annoying. I would have really been pissed if I came and skied the afternoon based on what it said on the site. Nonetheless, all of the snowmaking trails were in great shape. Talisman skied great all day and the bumps were fantastic on Trick once things softened up. If they had enough traffic Tali, Wizard, Showoff, and Trick could have all lasted at least through next weekend.

emmaurice2

I was there on Saturday too. A little bit annoyed by the snow report. The trail count was a complete lie. I didn't expect the natural terrain to be in great shape but based on the report, they claimed everything was open except Black Line. I guess technically everything was open from 9AM-10AM while patrol did sweeps. They quickly shut just about everything down (rightfully so) but it was still annoying. I would have really been pissed if I came and skied the afternoon based on what it said on the site. Nonetheless, all of the snowmaking trails were in great shape. Talisman skied great all day and the bumps were fantastic on Trick once things softened up. If they had enough traffic Tali, Wizard, Showoff, and Trick could have all lasted at least through next weekend.
Yeah, I noticed that too.. I suppose more of the trails became skiable in the late afternoon but I didn't test them out. Had to leave around 2pm for other obligations. I watched some people skiing Broomstick but it sounded way to scratchy for me to try it.

legalskier

I was there on Saturday too. A little bit annoyed by the snow report. The trail count was a complete lie.

This is why I rely more on the TRs here than any area's own site. I count on my fellow AZers to be honest and frank in their assessments, notwithstanding their loyalty to their home hills.
In my TR of Magic on 3-29 I really wanted to "accentuate the positive" because it's such a good area, the people are so nice, and I want to see it succeed. But I also feel I have an obligation to be honest with the other members here, so I called it like I saw it.
That being said, I plan on returning next year- hopefully bringing some first timers along with me so they'll catch the spirit of Magic too.

makimono

I skied closing day - Sunday 4/7 - there was probably 30 people skiing. I think the forecast for rain might have chased people away but it couldn't have been a nicer day, there wasn't a drop of rain after 10am and I even ended up with a bit of a sunburn.

By noon everything was skiing great, Redline was classic MM adventure skiing, the bumps on Trick were soft and zippable, TZ and Goniffs were excellent you just had to be cautious at the runout where there wasn't really any snow. Skied Master Magician which looked icy but it was soft ice that peeled away under edge. In all the conditions were more cream cheese than corn. Even the woods were great, at least the off map stuff, in particular EoN (if you know what that refers to) was edge to edge deep cream cheese and some of the best tree skiing of the year. Last run we ducked upper Redline (uncool I know) to Blackline just below Black Magic and that was really a perfect cap to a surprisingly good year at Magic.

Cornhead

I skied closing day - Sunday 4/7 - there was probably 30 people skiing. I think the forecast for rain might have chased people away but it couldn't have been a nicer day, there wasn't a drop of rain after 10am and I even ended up with a bit of a sunburn.

By noon everything was skiing great, Redline was classic MM adventure skiing, the bumps on Trick were soft and zippable, TZ and Goniffs were excellent you just had to be cautious at the runout where there wasn't really any snow. Skied Master Magician which looked icy but it was soft ice that peeled away under edge. In all the conditions were more cream cheese than corn. Even the woods were great, at least the off map stuff, in particular EoN (if you know what that refers to) was edge to edge deep cream cheese and some of the best tree skiing of the year. Last run we ducked upper Redline (uncool I know) to Blackline just below Black Magic and that was really a perfect cap to a surprisingly good year at Magic.
I think the forecast kept people away from Gore Sunday too, lot's more cars at Whiteface on Saturday. The sun was out most of the day there too. Lucky me, I was anticipating skiing in the rain. I've yet to ski Magic, thought I had the logistics nailed this year, but it wasn't to be, hopefully next year, on my "to ski" list for sure, sounds like my kind of place.