• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/23/14 (tried to go to Loon but they had no power so I went to) Cannon Trip Report

medfordmike

This morning I had the day off so despite the low temperatures I decided to head to Loon figuring the gondola and multiple lodges would be helfpul. When i tried to pull in they had someone waving everyone off. The resort did not have power and was closed for the day. Determined to ski I choose to head up to Cannon rather than down to Waterville. I only recently went to Cannon for the first time, but after one of the thaw cycles, so I wanted to give it another try. Besides I just can't seem to click with Waterville for some reason.

photo (1) copy.JPG

I lucked out and Cannon was two for one tickets. It was not busy but more people were there than during my last visit a few weeks ago on a Friday. When I arrived at Cannon it was -2 in the lot. When I left at 3 PM it was only 7. It was bright, cold, but nearly windless day. Vista, Tafts, and Upper Hardscrabble were open this time. Vista was the best of those three and I took several runs on it. They are making snow like crazy on the lower half of the mountain and Zoomer was also a lot of fun with great coverage. Overall snow conditions were great and they should be in great shape for the weekend. There was a lot of snow on the trees (not enough at on the ground in the glades yet) so their reported claims of snow over the past few days is true.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 116

MadMadWorld

Did you have someone with you or did you double up with someone there for the BOGO? Looks like they are trying to make a concerted effort with snowmaking after a frustrating start to the season. It's about damn time

medfordmike

Did you have someone with you or did you double up with someone there for the BOGO? Looks like they are trying to make a concerted effort with snowmaking after a frustrating start to the season. It's about damn time

I was solo but when I got to the counter they called someone else over who was also solo. I appreciated them doing that. They just ran each of our cards through for $36. They definitely seem to be taking advantage of the cold snap. Front five should be in great shape for weekend.