• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Negus Mountain, MA, 10/11

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Negus Mountain, MA

Date Hiked: 10/11

Trails(s) Hiked: Unmarked trail to the summit

Total Distance: 2-3 miles, a bit over 1,000' vertical

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Cloudy, dry trail

Special Required Equipment: None

After hiking it solo Monday, a friend of mine and I hit Negus again today. It's too bad it was cloudy because the foliage is peak. Nonetheless, a really fun hike.

negus2.jpg

Part of the way up, looking down into Zoar Gap

negus1.jpg

About a third of the way up, looking at the peak two thirds of the way up - path is up the ledges.

Mike P.

Is that on public property? Can I go there? terrain & views look great, never heard of it. Thanks for sharing

Last edited:

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Its private, you need to cross the railroad which -is- clearly posted no trespassing. Whether you venture there is up to your own discretion. Honestly the aforementioned facts have probably not stopped many. There is also a cool geocache up there.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0a5ab3ce-5d26-43fa-b197-253c686dcddf

recreational groups do hikes to this mountain, but they do it from the back end because of the railroad liability...

Last edited:

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Is that on public property? Can I go there? terrain & views look great, never heard of it. Thanks for sharing

The bottom is public property, and the railroad crossing is literally direct, just about what you'd do if you drove over a set of railroad tracks, so I don't think its a problem. None of the friends I've talked to have had any issues.