• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smart phones?

Do you have one or more smart phones?

• Yes

Votes: 40 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 31.0%

• Total voters

SkiDork

The Atrix 2 has amazing battery life given the size of the screen. One of the biggest improvements over the crappy Backflip I had. I can go all day on a charge, GPS on, Pandora rocking away on the commutes.

Angry Birds Yo! ;)

Atrix 2 is a nice phone, but no Verizon

tekweezle

For those with sealed battery like iphone, an external charger pack like the imp1000 might be useful. Friend with an iphone says he can recharge 4 times on one charge.

I'm not a fan of the non replaceable battery setup....

Sent from my Htc Incredible via tapatalk....

drjeff

I've got the previous version of that which I used on my old Blackberry Storm as it's battery was heading for the crapper. Works well. The only issue I've had with it, is the charger connector isn't the snuggest of fits with the "receptical" in my phone (both my old BB and my current Droid as well as my wife's Samsung Galaxy) so sometimes you may have it plugged in and you think recharging, but the connection isn't snug enough and no charging is occurring. Works pretty well while stationary on a flat surface, but I've had times where in my coat pocket I thought it was charging and it never did :eek:

gmcunni

this has come up recently in our house. i have a BB from work, while not as slick as an iphone or andriod it gets me my email and occasional web access. wife and kids are on ATT family plan with voice and text but son going off to college next year is making the pitch for "needing" a smartphone with data plan. i'm not totally opposed but the data plan pricing is a huge turn off. adding $45/m to ATT for 4 gig plan seems like robbery.

for those with smartphones, how do you manage your bandwidth consumption?

Edd

I'm with Sprint who does unlimited data (unlike the other big 3 companies) so...I don't need to manage it. It you're thinking about a data plan for a college kid though, I'd look at one of the pre-paid companies. Much better value for data plans. How much data does a college kid "need"?

gmcunni

Much better value for data plans. How much data does a college kid "need"?

i don't see the need at all but am trying to keep an open mind. i really don't want to find out after a month that something went wrong and 10 gigs later we're staring at a huge bill.

i have sprint for my BB and would consider a move for the family to that carrier if we do a data plan for my son.

jack97

I liken smartphones to shaped skis -many are very skeptical and often initially resistant to the general concept on principle. Then one day you finally "give in" and try it, and you start wondering why you didn't convert to the "newer" concept sooner

IMO, the (excessively) shaped skis has dumb us down in certain areas and perhaps elighten us in other areas. Still not sure which is best in the case of skis as well as smart phones.

I had a blackberry for work, that further tied me more torward work. Many years ago, I had a company supplied cell phone..... same thing, could never get a weekend with that thing going off with someone asking for help. :roll:

jack97

i don't see the need at all but am trying to keep an open mind. i really don't want to find out after a month that something went wrong and 10 gigs later we're staring at a huge bill.

i have sprint for my BB and would consider a move for the family to that carrier if we do a data plan for my son.

yep..... my kid she can use her phone as a credit card for certain gaming apps. :-?

tekweezle

Use wifi as much as possible. If I didn't stream video, I'd probably use less than 500 mb per month.

I also have a couple of widgets and traffic counters to count my 3g usage, calls, wifi and text just for my info.

Sent from my Htc Incredible via tapatalk....

MR. evil

Randi and I are both with AT&T and are grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. So it looks like we will be with ATT for a very long time.

Glenn

this has come up recently in our house. i have a BB from work, while not as slick as an iphone or andriod it gets me my email and occasional web access. wife and kids are on ATT family plan with voice and text but son going off to college next year is making the pitch for "needing" a smartphone with data plan. i'm not totally opposed but the data plan pricing is a huge turn off. adding $45/m to ATT for 4 gig plan seems like robbery.

Since we pay the bill, my wife and I watch our consumption. I have my podcast app set to DL over wifi only. If I watch vids, I try to do it on wifi.

That being said, if he's on campus, chances are he'll be on the campus wifi network. The only data/minutes in that situation would be text messages and phone calls.

I guess one option would be to pay for you to pay for the plan...and he pays for any overages.

aaronbru

I rock the cheap cellphone/IPod Touch combo. I get the best of both worlds (minus internet when I'm in my car but... what do I need that for?).

I use my IPods wifi everywhere I go. Most businesses have wifi connections. and my phone is unlimited text/talk/data for $55/month (including tax). My data is all text-based internet stuff. no loading flash, java, streaming... anything good.

drjeff

Randi and I are both with AT&T and are grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. So it looks like we will be with ATT for a very long time.

I'm basically double grandfathered into Verizon - I have their unlimited voice/data plan (grandfathering #1) and then Verizon still also thinks that I work for the hospital that my residency program was based in so I get that rate (I pay the bill myself) even though I haven't been an employee of that hospital since June of 1999!(grandfathering #2) :)