• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Geeks: Laptop Help - Buy now or wait

BackLoafRiver

So, I have been without a laptop for a year. I miss it and have some credit to buy a new one.

I am going with a 15" macbook pro as I love the mac OS and it will play well with our work stuff. The question is, do I get one now, or wait until the new units ship with the Ivy Bridge CPU?? Not sure if I will appreciate the difference between that and the Sandy Bridge that it ships with now.

I know the whole "if you always wait something better is around the corner" mentality. Thoughts are, as always, appreciated.

o3jeff

So, I have been without a laptop for a year. I miss it and have some credit to buy a new one.

I am going with a 15" macbook pro as I love the mac OS and it will play well with our work stuff. The question is, do I get one now, or wait until the new units ship with the Ivy Bridge CPU?? Not sure if I will appreciate the difference between that and the Sandy Bridge that it ships with now.

I know the whole "if you always wait something better is around the corner" mentality. Thoughts are, as always, appreciated.

Watch out, there are a bunch of Apple haters here.

I say buy now. Going on a year now with my MBP!

wa-loaf

Update supposedly coming soon. I think the current ones are from February of last year. Rumor is it will have much thinner form factor like the macbook airs.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Just saw on the news this morning that Apple Macbooks are being hit with a virus!! wasn't that half the reason to get a Mac?

8)

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I heard that on the radio this morning coming into work as well. I was riding with Jimmy and he just kind of looked at me i was like MOTHER.. something to worry about but I still couldn't be happier with my MBP.

Prior to purchasing I also was wondering if I should wait until the update but at the end of the day I was on a laptop that was hurting and it was just desperately needed.

Just do it. :smile:

mondeo

The Ivy Bridge GPU is something like 5x faster than Sandy Bridge, if you're not getting one with a dedicated GPU then that's a consideration.

Or you could buy a comparable Windows laptop for hundreds less. It's amazing what a $350 laptop can do these days.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
For your average computer user, buy now is pretty much standard for laptops. If you are just surfing the web, checking email, and doing word processing and spreadsheets, waiting for a slightly faster computer isn't going to help you at all.

wa-loaf

Wait, it's close:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/10...t-forthcoming-update-for-15-inch-macbook-pro/