• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 1.5.2012

Cheese

BTW either you can do a 360 awfully quickly or you were going too fast for that trail...:wink:

Guilty on both accounts

If you are wearing a race suit they don't check your pass, and don't get yelled at for skiing fast (unless you are on Conifer doing 360s...).

Momentary lapse of judgement

Having personally witnessed it, he can do a 360 on a mogul.

We'll get you back spinning again this season. If I can do it on race boards at my age I'm sure you're more than capable.

wa-loaf

Wait. So why aren't you allowed to jump or do 360s there?

Conifer is the only family/slow skiing trail from the summit and usually pretty crowded so they have the "Rangers" out all over it slowing people down. It is a really fun trail to bomb if you can as the top has some nice rollers and drops, but I usually save it for early and late season when they don't care.

meatloaf

I've heard a couple of those rangers on the lift bragging about how many tickets they pulled that day. They definitely sounded on the younger side. I know most of them aren't like that, but the aim behind pulling tickets should be to make things safer for everyone, rather than being a ski nazi for the hell of it. I feel like skiing, especially at Wachusett, is becoming the new driving in terms of attitude.

And as far as Wachusett goes, it's a good time if you arrive by 7:30 am, ski like mad until 11, then get the hell out when the yahoos arrive. Or ski midweek non-holiday (not at night), if possible. The problem at Wachusett is not with the lift lines (they generally move pretty fast), but with the density of skiers on the trails.

Cheese

I've heard a couple of those rangers on the lift bragging about how many tickets they pulled that day. They definitely sounded on the younger side. I know most of them aren't like that, but the aim behind pulling tickets should be to make things safer for everyone, rather than being a ski nazi for the hell of it.

Although I made my posts as rather humorous interjections to this thread, the truth is I was definitely in the wrong. They have trails for increased speed and parks for 360s. At the late hour I felt the trail was clear enough for the speed I was going and the landing area to be safe enough for the stunt I pulled. However, signage clearly states that Conifer is not to be skied/boarded in this manner.

The rangers job is simply to enforce the rules which I broke. Even from a safety point of view, just because I was in control doesn't mean others who saw me do it and might repeat a similar stunt would take the same care. So again, I understand completely the reason for these rules on certain trails. I broke a reasonable rule and I was in the wrong.