Okemo vs. Loon - pros and cons? - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Will this be hotel based ski travel? Seasonal Rental? Buying a second home?

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    FWIW NH State Sales tax 0.0% VT sales tax 7-10% on prepared food and alcohol.
    New Hampshire's Rooms, Meals and served Alcohol tax is 9%.

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    VT sales tax 7-10% on prepared food and alcohol.
    NH taxes 9% meals tax so that point is moot.

-Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Will this be hotel based ski travel? Seasonal Rental? Buying a second home?
    Second home. Until the kids refuse to ski with their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
    Sunrise and Topridge at Bear Mnt. A friend of mine skis to Bear when it is open from Topridge almost every day , she only drives early/late season to the K 1 lodge. Lives there year round and has a spectacular view. It can get a bit breezy at times however!
    Thanks for the info! Had no idea there were ski-in/ski-out over at Bear. I'll check it out. But if it's at Bear, I have to admit its value as ski-in/ski-out for my wife diminishes a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by New Daddy View Post
    Second home. Until the kids refuse to ski with their parents.
    I would make yourself very familiar with Vermont's tax policy towards second home owners in Gold Towns and the stiff capital gains taxes they charge on resales within 7 years of purchase. NH has hefty property tax rates in a lot of towns too, but you won't pay the same tax penalties should you need to sell the asset. Just something to consider outside of the skiing product and community attributes.

From the condo's to the Skye peak Quad is an intermediate trail. Once at the top of the SPQ you can also access intermediate terrain, don't let the Bear access scare you!

I grew up skiing Okemo and now live near Loon, although like Cannonball I also choose Cannon over Loon.

We used to call Ludlow "Dudlow". These days there is a little more going on in the eve, and A LOT more going on in the summer since the golf course was acquired and all the subsequent development around the mountain in the last 12 years. But still definitely the off season.

Lincoln is a lot more of a gateway town as well as a destination, with a busier main street in the spring/summer/fall (ever seen it on a clear Columbus Day weekend with the Kanc foliage going strong? It's insanity!!) Closer to the "off season" activities that I prefer.

Your kids are lucky either way. But if it were me.....2 hrs less driving time every weekend and more challenging terrain would make Loon the choice. If you go up 10 times a year, and own the place for 10 years, thats 200 fewer hours you've spent in the car.

A third candidate would have been Bretton Woods, as they have nice slopeside townhomes, which are expanding along Crawford Ridge, and the best scenery of all. But even for an advanced skier who's willing to settle for Okemo for the sake of the family, Bretton Woods is too lacking in terrain.
    You're not a fan of skiing trees then? Your kids would love that!

Actually that's the one I was talking about. Unless my memory is wrong, they had wine only on less than one side of their walls. The staff is very nice though. No doubt about that.
    A minor point on your whole desicion making, so not to derail or overstate, but yeah you might not be thinking of the same place. This is a very good wine shop with four walls (plus many stands) of good wines. Plus cheeses, olives, etc.

They also run an odd shop next door of craft beer, cigars and video rentals. ?

Thread Information