• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

SIKSKIER

How they making out today with the weather?

Not good.I left at 11 and the mt took a bad hit.Lots of grass showing on the front 5.Well maybe not a lot but I didn't expect to see any.When I got in my truck at Mittersill to leave it was 50 friggin degrees.What?
Yup.When I got past the Old Man headed south it was a much more respectable 37.I said it before,Cannon takes the biggest beating on snow melting than anywhere when that stinking south wind blows.I had 2 wicked windy days this weekend with very limited mt access.So I leave Mittersill and its 50 and the whole ride back to Manchester its 33.Aaaaahhhhhh!

skiberg

It was not pretty Sunday, but could have been better, had they actually blown snow at Mittersill last week. The T-Bar could have operated and the Mitt. chair is usually protected a bit in a South Wind.

They basically lied to us, making it seem like they had the guns on. At best they were somewhat deceptive.

Why did they choose not to make snow last week? They are going to pay for that now, as the long term weather looks terrible for Xmas week.

skiberg

I hope, but I am hearing substantial blowtorching before the New Year. I am so sick of rain during x-mas week.

dlague

We only got in three runs yesterday, all off of eagle cliff - my kids couldn't take the cold and wind.

I am seriously depressed.
I feel lucky - four boys and they loved the sport and they are diehards and my wife hangs in there with us. We play the over layer game - better to have to shed than not having enough.

Keep exposing them to the cold and they will come around and it will be common place!
Just make them fear you more than the cold and wind. My plan if my future creations complain about weather lol.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

I feel lucky - four boys and they loved the sport and they are diehards and my wife hangs in there with us. We play the over layer game - better to have to shed than not having enough.

Keep exposing them to the cold and they will come around and it will be common place!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

I'm a big believer in exposing kids and adults to the cold to get them used to it! If you're acclimated its way easier to have a fun time.

skiberg

I hope you are guys are right. This probably means fair amount of model inconsistency, which is good because perhaps we will be ok. We are due for a good Christmas week.

From Single Chair Blog below. He is usually petty good at longer term trends. However its 12/16 report s perhaps things have improved.

"Ensembles are still screaming for a potential thaw in the period between Xmas and around the 28th and the teleconnections that we talked about in the last post also support such occurrence".

SIKSKIER

It was not pretty Sunday, but could have been better, had they actually blown snow at Mittersill last week.
They basically lied to us, making it seem like they had the guns on. At best they were somewhat deceptive.
Why did they choose not to make snow last week?.

Not sure what your talking about.They made snow all week when temps allowed.If your talking about Mittersill then they started making snow there Thursday.I know they did say would probably have it open this weekend but that didn't happen.Kind of harsh on the "they lied to us" comment.I'm as critical as anybody of Cannon even as a "homer" but I didn't have any rants on this one.Here is some video on FB of pushing out the piles on Taft/Mittersill. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cannon-Mountain/131074673586704?v=wall

skiberg

They did not make snow at Mittersill except on Taft. There was nothing but natural on Barons Saturday. They were not blowing anywhere on Sat. Temps were excellent for snowmaking all week. They may no real progress last week. Why? It should have been a banner snowmaking week. Granted, the results have been excellent so far, and the new system has to be the best n NE, but I don't think they were really "going for it" last week and I don't know why. They should be able to blow on all of Mittersill at once but they didn't, even though they marked the trail as an active snowmaking trail in the lodge. It just seems curious to me

yeggous

They did not make snow at Mittersill except on Taft. There was nothing but natural on Barons Saturday. They were not blowing anywhere on Sat. Temps were excellent for snowmaking all week. They may no real progress last week. Why? It should have been a banner snowmaking week. Granted, the results have been excellent so far, and the new system has to be the best n NE, but I don't think they were really "going for it" last week and I don't know why. They should be able to blow on all of Mittersill at once but they didn't, even though they marked the trail as an active snowmaking trail in the lodge. It just seems curious to me

They also marked the Tuckerbrook Quad as running on Wednesday, at least until the base terminal was flooded out. Perhaps there is a direct connection here.

Puck it

Not sure what your talking about.They made snow all week when temps allowed.If your talking about Mittersill then they started making snow there Thursday.I know they did say would probably have it open this weekend but that didn't happen.Kind of harsh on the "they lied to us" comment.I'm as critical as anybody of Cannon even as a "homer" but I didn't have any rants on this one.Here is some video on FB of pushing out the piles on Taft/Mittersill. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cannon-Mountain/131074673586704?v=wall
Guns were stilling going on the main mountain on Tuesday.

Puck it

The peeve that I have right now is with the groomers right now. They suck. They are leaving ridges and boulders all over the place. I am wondering if they are new or not.

From the grooming report. : The snow firmed-up overnight so only groomed terrain will open this morning; however, expect only a few groomed passes on each open trail...not wall to wall"

Why only a couple of passes? Makes no sense!!

wtcobb

Why only a couple of passes? Makes no sense!!

Timing issue? By the time the temps truly dropped and everything started to freeze it was later in the night. There's a lot of territory to cover - and territory that needed significant work I'm guessing - in a short amount of time.

skiberg

If they had a pipe blowout that would explain it. With the temps they had they should've been able to open up all of mitt in about 36 hours. But if they did have a problem with the pipes over there why weren't they blowing on the main mountain?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Puck it

Timing issue? By the time the temps truly dropped and everything started to freeze it was later in the night. There's a lot of territory to cover - and territory that needed significant work I'm guessing - in a short amount of time.
I will give you that, but they have been doing since they opened.

yeggous

If they had a pipe blowout that would explain it. With the temps they had they should've been able to open up all of mitt in about 36 hours. But if they did have a problem with the pipes over there why weren't they blowing on the main mountain?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

When I was there Wednesday they were blowing down the middle of the main mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

SIKSKIER

Again,they were making snow last week.The beginning of the week was too warm but they started back up Tues/Wed and it seems did some resurfacing on Cannon.they made snow on the very bottom of Barons and thats what they reported.I guess you didn't see all the snow they made on Taft Slope?Check out the FB page to see them pushing that out.As to no snowmaking on Saturday,Where you there?It was blowing 30-40mphwith half the mt shut down.A big waist to try in those conditions.If you watch the pushout of snow video on Taft you'll see almost all the snow right next to the towers.Those towers guns are not great in high winds.