• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney? Hello? Is this thing on?

Gnarcissaro

Yes, he clarified on fb that the article was misleading on the Hornet lift's status. It will be running, but only as natural snow conditions allow due to snowmaking issues.

I'm right in town and will be checking them out when Hornet runs (with plenty of chairlift beers.) Agreed the Eclipse terrain is pretty limited and would get old quick.

Last edited:

MEtoVTSkier

He talks about a group that wants to ski from 11-2. I was one of the people asking for that. I work five minutes from there an would consider a lunch time-ish lift ticket.

Yep, it was my what bugged me about BigRock cutting their hours a few years ago. I doesn't matter to me that they opened at 3pm, Some of us wanted to be in and out of there earlier, before the schools let out, and the hill gets overrun with the kids.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Only time I skied Big Rock was last year and the 3PM time worked for me. I always find it easier to knock off work early than take an extended lunch. I realize that's not case for everyone.

The kids didn't really show up until near five. The first hour the place was empty.

Best $5 worth of skiing I've ever had.

dlague

Only time I skied Big Rock was last year and the 3PM time worked for me. I always find it easier to knock off work early than take an extended lunch. I realize that's not case for everyone.

The kids didn't really show up until near five. The first hour the place was empty.

That is way the heck up there!

MEtoVTSkier

About 1 mile away! ;)

It was so cold and windy last year, I really missed them being open more during the day when the sun helped keep ya warm. The night skiing last year was a bit chilly.

And here I thought all the hardcore skiers on here were used to looooong drives! :razz:

Takes me about 6.5 hours to get to the 'Olde Folks, in Plymouth, VT/Killington.

Last edited:

MEtoVTSkier

I liked to work early, run home finish the chores and grab my gear, hit the hill and get my laps in for a couple hours and be home before the crowds hit in the afternoons. Guess I got used to the midday sessions. The other thing for me is I never wear my glasses skiing, so as the sun gets low late in the afternoon, it gets harder for me to see the terrain/bumps, so I used to end up in the lodge waiting for it to get darker and the lights to show the terrain better. Earlier starts solved that problem for me.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Lonesome Pines is way the neck up there. ;)

I was in the area for work. If I lived in Bangor and they got a good storm, it would be a nice alternative to Sugarloaf/Saddleback and about the same drive. It has great terrain for a 1000 vert hill.

Tin

Interesting plan to build to the summit before replacing the Hornet. Thought the stuff up there was flat (according to NE Ski History)?

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I read it correctly, he's talking about building to the summit up and to Lookers Right of Eclipse. From my recollection that terrain is steeper than anything they currently have, but only carries the pitch for a few hundred vertical like the Sweet William area, then it flattens out quickly.

dlague

I am pretty sure he wants to build the Summit Conference Center for revenue purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Newpylong

If it's my money you design the pod above Eclipe to run into the current trails there. When it's time to install the lift you remove Eclipse and replace with the new longer lift, might need to be a different alignment to get up on that shoulder though.

Replace Hornet with a HSQ.

Something fixed grip to the true summit up Sweet William as it was intended.

Only issue here is would they want to use the lift to get people to this summit convention center? I doubt two lifts would fly for that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
In general I think the concept of cutting new lifts and terrain prior to replacing the Hornet is a bad idea. Tenney isn't a small area. Make everything you have developed already as good as it can be before you expand.

After snowmaking, replacing the Hornet should be priority number one. It's that awful a ride. Maybe once he actually learns how to ski, he'll get a better understanding of how much it sucks riding a 15 minute long chair in the bitter cold. :lol:

Jully

If it's my money you design the pod above Eclipe to run into the current trails there. When it's time to install the lift you remove Eclipse and replace with the new longer lift, might need to be a different alignment to get up on that shoulder though.

Replace Hornet with a HSQ.

Something fixed grip to the true summit up Sweet William as it was intended.

Only issue here is would they want to use the lift to get people to this summit convention center? I doubt two lifts would fly for that.

He might not be thinking that people will ride a chairlift to the conference center. Might be a road up the back and that's it.