• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Forbes list - 10 Best Ski Towns in US

crank

Been to 8. Lived in 2. My favorite ski town not on the list. Hope to keep it that way.

C-Rex

Been to 8. Lived in 2. My favorite ski town not on the list. Hope to keep it that way.

Areed. The best ski towns are the unknown ones. They don't have all the touristy garbage, just good restaurants and bars near a killer mountain.

BenedictGomez

Makes sense since the West has the big mountains that attract the majority of skiers. You rarely hear of people moving East to live in a ski town. BTW, don't be surprised if a list of "Best beach towns" has a coastal bias.

Your attempt at sarcasm falls flat if you consider the data on skier visits. If where a "majority" of skiers go mattered much for their ranking, the list of western resorts on that list would be very different (Vail, CO & Eagle, CO absence being the most glaringly obvious).

In any event, if those 10 places are truly better ski towns than Lake Placid (which is better than #9 Stowe), sign me up for visits to all of them.

VTKilarney

This is just another example of why a list for a purely subjective matter is an exercise in futility.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Exactly. I prefer Stowe to LP, but I'm biased having lived in Stowe for many years and only visited LP a few times and not to ski there.

VTKilarney

They're all awful. I believe there's a special place in hell for ski list authors.
Ski area lists are the equivalent of click-bait articles with titles like; "She thought that she was opening an ordinary birthday present, but what she saw in the box changed her life forever."

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't mind the lists. I could care less about the rankings or if people think my favorite ski town sucks. I like reading about places I've never been or changes to places I haven't been for awhile.

Jcb890

I still haven't even been to Stowe! Lame.

Maybe I'll try and go 3/20 on the CSC day. Almost 4 hours is a long way for a day-trip though!

BenedictGomez

Ski area lists are the equivalent of click-bait articles with titles like; "She thought that she was opening an ordinary birthday present, but what she saw in the box changed her life forever."

So true; and I'm guilty.

<---- Just came to the awful realization that he's partially responsible for the global plague of ski list articles.

C-Rex

I still haven't even been to Stowe! Lame.

Maybe I'll try and go 3/20 on the CSC day. Almost 4 hours is a long way for a day-trip though!

I'd say it's worth it. Especially with how good conditions have been. You could stay in a cheap hotel the night before to make it a little easier. The Stowe Motel has cheap rooms and is only like 5 miles away. Or you could stay in Morrisville for a little cheaper and be like 45 min to Jay and close to Sugarbush too. Make a weekend of it. Going to Stowe on a weekday, even a discount Friday, will be a much better experience than a weekend too.

I like the lists because they give me ideas about where to go for future trips. If anything, they give me a starting point for researching destinations.

Handbanana

Not really sure why gmcunni put numbers on this list. The original article on Forbes last sentence is "View the slideshow to see the 10 Best such places in the United States (Shown In No Particular Order!)."

snoseek

As much as it seems weird that SLT is on that list I'll tell you personally I love it here mostly because its a normal town with a community of like minded normal people. It's a little dirty, there's drugs, you probably should lock your car. But to live its got soul, very cool people and away from the strip its utterly beautiful. Also ethnic diversity, I like that. I've lived a fair bit of ski towns and while the skiing is a problem sometimes the living is easily the best for me personally.

That said Yeah its weird to see it on any list.

Edd

I like SLT for the kitsch factor and seriously good burritos can be had. For a place so heavy on gambling, it's light on strippers. But I haven't been there in maybe 5 years.