• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

xwhaler

From this article----if that is still the case I can see why the mtn hasn't sold.

The asking price is $12 million for 400 acres of property that includes the ski trails and lifts, the base lodge and most of the surrounding 121 units.
The Berry family will keep 7,600 of the 8,000 acres it bought 10 years ago and hopes to remain involved with the ski area in some capacity.

http://www.pressherald.com/2012/12/14/saddleback-for-sale-berry-family/

mbedle

Based on the 400 acres, that doesn't leave any room for expansion. I did some quick measurements by just outlying the outer runs and the condos at the base and actually came up with 539 acres. I am not sure how they are coming up with only 400 acres. You would think they would have a better chance of selling the place if they offer at least some of the land north of the resort in the deal.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What do you think if a prospective new owner built on-site, instead of a hotel, a plain old motel with 100 rooms that could rent for $90 a night? That would help the beds situation but leave money for lifts.

I like this idea. Start small and affordable. Attach a restaurant to it to address some of the apres ski needs.

machski

After this season, any new owner has to focus on snowmaking improvements first if they want to compete against SL. If the Berry's are still trying to hold onto the majority of land and all the other needs the ski area has, o wish them well but doubt they will be selling any time soon.

tipsdown

Based on the 400 acres, that doesn't leave any room for expansion. I did some quick measurements by just outlying the outer runs and the condos at the base and actually came up with 539 acres. I am not sure how they are coming up with only 400 acres. You would think they would have a better chance of selling the place if they offer at least some of the land north of the resort in the deal.

All 7-8k acres are now in play from what I understand....

machski

At least Les Otten thinks it's bound to reopen in that article.

He thinks it should, but he noted early in the article that if it remains closed this season, the inertia is against it reopening. Even DB would like to see it reopen but they all echo the same sentiments about remaining closed to the ability to reopen. Think about it, the Berry's have had to supplement the operation every year since '08. So that means that if it stays closed and you loose some of your loyal skier base, that supplement becomes even greater for years likely after you reopen (unless you make a huge upgrade splash prior to re-opening). Thus, why Les said as you remain closed, to re-open you need a different type of buyer from the buyer who would buy an operating resort.

tree_skier

i would think that les is tied up with the Balsams. However if he could condo up those 8000 acres???????? it would be interesting to see him have a go and give us something to talk about besides hail at jay

tipsdown

"I speak on almost a daily basis with the Buyer who is wrapping up his details to complete the transaction"

Sounds encouraging but we'll just have to wait and see...Interesting for sure. Lots of permits. Sounds like there will be some big changes if this goes through.

ironhippy

I probably posted this already in this thread, but my (very small) local hill sold last year.

The perspective buyers were assembled in March/April and began their negotiations and diligence in April/May. They had the money and the will.

The deal did not close until the end of September and was cutting it VERY close to interfering with the season. The buyers kept saying "we'll know more next week" all summer long (and weren't lying).

These things take time.

salsgang

Guessing that's Salsgang quoted in the article?

Yup that was me trying to be diplomatic.

I sure hope like hell that something gets done in the next week or two or three. Sounds like a buyer is STILL in play. According the the farmer post referenced above, there is still hope but...

Out of frustration and doing something to try stay supportive, I created an online petition to show support for saddleback and encourage the successful conclusion of the sale. Give it a read and sign & share if you are so willing.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/450/749/437/i-would-come-back-to-saddleback-maine/

fiddleski

Putting together Chris Farmer's post and Les Otten's comments in the article, it might seems like whoever the buyer is, it's not LBO. I wouldn't think he would comment at all if he were involved.

At least there's hope. Best of luck to Chris.

Jully

Putting together Chris Farmer's post and Les Otten's comments in the article, it might seems like whoever the buyer is, it's not LBO. I wouldn't think he would comment at all if he were involved.

At least there's hope. Best of luck to Chris.

On the Sugarloaf Today site Chris sounded pretty frustrated at the situation and at some people's attitudes towards the whole situation. It's certainly a tough spot to be in, but I'm glad theres still hope!

Any good will sent Chris's way I'm sure is appreciated.