• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

Jcb890

Hermitage is a great place to ski for most skiers though. Consistently pitched, rolling blues with high speed lifts, gloriously fancy lodges, and extremely minimal crowds. For the average skier who skis at Sunapee, Okemo, Mount Snow, that is their definition of the perfect ski experience.

We all care a lot about 2k+ vert, rad cliff hucks, and hidden pow stashes, but many skiers don't even know what that means. Special terrain for most means corduroy past 1:00 pm.

My father would LOVE to be a member at Hermitage for the skiing (though he wouldn't care much for the fancy stuff). He skis 5-10 days a year with back issues, but used to ski 20+ days.

One has to also remember that for many, fresh corduroy the majority, if not all day if it's not snowing out can be a very appealing prospect as well.....

Those of us that frequent AZ aren't always the best representation of what the masses that drive the skiing and snowboarding industry actually are. The majority of us here are definitely on the fringes of the "obsessed" range of the love of our sport range!! ;) :lol:
I don't disagree with either response. I was just trying to compare it to the golf course analogy where you're paying big bucks for membership, but the courses are also highly regarded in terms of their "terrain" for lack of a better term.

I wouldn't mind riding at Hermitage myself, it sounds pretty decent. I just think I'd want a bit "more" if I were going to be spending that kind of money. But who knows, tough to put myself in that mindset as I'll probably never be in that position.

Jully

I don't disagree with either response. I was just trying to compare it to the golf course analogy where you're paying big bucks for membership, but the courses are also highly regarded in terms of their "terrain" for lack of a better term.

I wouldn't mind riding at Hermitage myself, it sounds pretty decent. I just think I'd want a bit "more" if I were going to be spending that kind of money. But who knows, tough to put myself in that mindset as I'll probably never be in that position.

Hard to put myself in the mindset of someone rich and not interested in skiing much else besides blue groomers too, haha. However, given the number of people that put in between 30 and 50 days at Wachusett and LOVE it and are certainly avid skiers, I'd bet Hermitage is plenty for them.

As far as golf courses go, I don't golf so know very little, but I always thought that country club memberships were primarily for a nicer maintained golf course (better grooming), fewer crowds, and nice amenities like a luxurious clubhouse and stuff. That sounds like the Hermitage to me, but maybe those clubs don't cost $10,000 a year and ones that do also have a famous course attached.

Jully

Hard to put myself in the mindset of someone rich and not interested in skiing much else besides blue groomers too, haha. However, given the number of people that put in between 30 and 50 days at Wachusett and LOVE it and are certainly avid skiers, I'd bet Hermitage is plenty for them.

As far as golf courses go, I don't golf so know very little, but I always thought that country club memberships were primarily for a nicer maintained golf course (better grooming), fewer crowds, and nice amenities like a luxurious clubhouse and stuff. That sounds like the Hermitage to me, but maybe those clubs don't cost $10,000 a year and ones that do also have a famous course attached.

Jcb890

Yellowstone Club is supposed to be pretty sweet.
I just checked it out, now that looks like a private club I could get into.

I think last year at Big Sky I wound up over on that side and used a couple of their trails.

urungus

So, what you're saying is, even if I do win the PowerBall, there probably wont be a limited grooming 25% / natural terrain 75% private ski resort I can join.

If you won a couple hundred million from PowerBall, you could buy a defunct ski resort and run/groom it exactly as you wish. Or even buy an existing place like Magic or MRG.

BenedictGomez

If you won a couple hundred million from PowerBall, you could buy a defunct ski resort and run/groom it exactly as you wish. Or even buy an existing place like Magic or MRG.

I like where you're head's at.

The skiing version of Cartmanworld.

njdiver85

Well looks like they made a last minute payment the night before the appeals hearing, so no water shutoffs over at Haystack to be had!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Even with a massive Powerball win, I would probably just ski more, but not do the private club thing. Much of the same, skiing Wildcat on weekends, chase storms midweek and worry little about hotel and day ticket costs.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Even with a massive Powerball win, I would probably just ski more, but not do the private club thing. Much of the same, skiing Wildcat on weekends, chase storms midweek and worry little about hotel and day ticket costs.

With a large powerball win I would move west. I would not join a private club as I would still cherish variety over all. Even with little money I try to ski multiple places.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm pretty content with year round living right here in NH. Little desire to move west. Maybe a trip or two a winter out west, but I really can't stand air travel. I suppose charter service would be a much nicer experience, but I'm mostly content with the skiing I get in the East. Just have to be patient at times.

Vaughn

Yeah, if I won Powerball, I'd be more likely to take 10 days in Verbier staying at some luxe hotel than riding Haystack like I was in junior high again.

I wonder if Hermitage left that crazy lift where you could get off on the middle of the mountain at full lift speed?

VTKilarney

I'm pretty content with year round living right here in NH. Little desire to move west. Maybe a trip or two a winter out west, but I really can't stand air travel. I suppose charter service would be a much nicer experience, but I'm mostly content with the skiing I get in the East. Just have to be patient at times.

Stockholm syndrome at its finest.

machski

With a large Powerball win, I think I would have tried to buy SR off O-Z. Regardless, I enjoyed skiing Haystack in my collegiate years (every year our division had at least one race there). The witches, while a bit compact, were fun. If most of the clientele stay to groomers, those would be a blast all day long. I hope the Hermitage succeeds in the long run.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

WoodCore

I wonder if Hermitage left that crazy lift where you could get off on the middle of the mountain at full lift speed?

The one your thinking of was rarely used in the last years of the ASC era and torn down when the Hermitage started up. It however has been replaced with a new Skytrac Quad that somewhat follows the original line. It definitely has the mid station!

Equinox

given the number of people that put in between 30 and 50 days at Wachusett and LOVE it and are certainly avid skiers, I'd bet Hermitage is plenty for them.

Yes, I'm one of those folks that skis Wachusett often and would love to explore a place like Haystack but just can't afford the price.

If you won a couple hundred million from PowerBall, you could buy a defunct ski resort and run/groom it exactly as you wish.

If I won the PowerBall, I'd take a look at Maple Valley.

Glenn

Yes, I'm one of those folks that skis Wachusett often and would love to explore a place like Haystack but just can't afford the price.

If I won the PowerBall, I'd take a look at Maple Valley.

This.

I'd reopen it. We drive by it almost weekly in the winter. I'd love to save that place.