Very cool history of the Poconos skiing history.

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Very cool history of the Poconos skiing history.

https://www.poconomountains.com/blog...n-the-poconos/

Cool to hear about big boulders snowmaking. I wonder how those winters were before it was up and running.

The list is missing a few though. Wouldn’t montage and elk be Pocono areas, especially if they consider big bear to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by danimals View Post
    The list is missing a few though. Wouldn’t montage and elk be Pocono areas, especially if they consider big bear to be?
    Funny...I was just researching that same thing. Technically Elk is in the Endless Mountains and not the Poconos. Montage I can't find exactly what it is part of, but their own website says they are "close to the Poconos". It surprised me as well because Montage is closer to Camelback than Big Bear.

Also thought the mention of Karl Hope in relation to Shawnee was interesting to me. I'm guessing he had something to do with the development of Masthope (although perhaps not the Big Bear ski area itself) as one of the main roads in that community leading to Big Bear is "Karl Hope Blvd"

Pet Peeve of mine Blue is not "In the Poconos" But nice article
    "White Privilege ": The ability to suffer through life's universal indignities without blaming another group for them.

satrianifnr

I'd also argue that the article should mention ski areas no longer active (i.e. Tanglwood) if they want it to be more about history and not just a marketing platform for the region.

IMG_5452.jpg A relative of mine took these Big Boulder 1952 ...Long lines back then too

IMG_5450.jpg
    "White Privilege ": The ability to suffer through life's universal indignities without blaming another group for them.

satrianifnr

satrianifnr

I love old time skiing pics.
    If it's snowin' I'm goin'

Great Pics. Found a map online of what is defined as the Pocono Mountains. Kind of odd, since I wouldn't have thought they went all the way to NY. Basically its Carbon, Wayne, Monroe and Pike counties. full_map.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Pet Peeve of mine Blue is not "In the Poconos" But nice article
    Blue is in Carbon County. Just barely. And is part of the Poconos.
    Elk is in Susquehanna County and Montage is in Lackawanna County.

Thread Information